Epic in July

sajacob

We are booked on the Epic for next July. We have cruised before but never in Europe. What should we know before we go? We have booked a large balcony (12091) Euros or dollars, passport copies,transports to airport, upgrade to suite,etc. All input is welcome. :confused:

You use dollars on the ship to tip (assuming you tip the staff beyond the DSC), buy some Euros in advance as you will need them at all ports to purchase stuff (slice of pizza, souvenir, etc).

Do make sure you notify your credit card company that you're traveling, so if you do use your credit card, the transaction won't be declined.

The following is only applicable if you're sailing from Barcelona:

Do bring your passport with you if you tour Rome. With the port being over an hour away from Rome I wouldn't want to find myself stuck without Euros, credit card(s) and passport. Other stops we just took a copy of our passport off the ship.

A cab from the airport to the pier was about 35 euro. Cabs were plentiful when we disembarked, so I wouldn't bother with car service (assuming you go straight from the ship to the airport).

That should get you started!

Check out the Europe boards - you will get invaluable info there. Such as:

Sorry cubechick, DH and I never buy Euros before we leave - the exchange rate is better if you use an ATM when you arrive. OP - there are MANY threads that discuss the pros and cons of this at the Europe boards. You are going to get a lot of info and opinions just on this subject alone, so read it all and plan your own strategy:)

Also OP, once you have checked out all the questions regarding, currency, credit cards, hotels, excursions, iteneraries, pick pockets, transportation, restaurants, best souvenirs, train schedules, metros, buying advance tickets, schedules for siteseeing, venue closers, train strikes, volcano eruptions, etc. you will understand why your open ended question just will not work:)

You are smart to start early, but you have a LOT of work cut out for you. We have done this itinerary 3 times (next October will be 4) and we still review the boards for up to date info and ideas. You will have a wonderful trip:)

Check out the Europe boards - you will get invaluable info there. Such as:

Sorry cubechick, DH and I never buy Euros before we leave - the exchange rate is better if you use an ATM when you arrive. OP - there are MANY threads that discuss the pros and cons of this at the Europe boards. You are going to get a lot of info and opinions just on this subject alone, so read it all and plan your own strategy:)

Also OP, once you have checked out all the questions regarding, currency, credit cards, hotels, excursions, iteneraries, pick pockets, transportation, restaurants, best souvenirs, train schedules, metros, buying advance tickets, schedules for siteseeing, venue closers, train strikes, volcano eruptions, etc. you will understand why your open ended question just will not work:)

You are smart to start early, but you have a LOT of work cut out for you. We have done this itinerary 3 times (next October will be 4) and we still review the boards for up to date info and ideas. You will have a wonderful trip:)

I agree about the euros to a degree. Yes, the exchange rate is cheaper when you use an ATM, but I still recommend buying a small amount before you leave (just like 100 or so). What if you arrived and the ATM network was down or your card didn't work? Having a small stash would alleviate those worries and give you time to deal with any problems.

Use a money belt. I had a purse with an old wallet. I had just enough money for what I would need that day. If I needed more, I would discreetly go somewhere and take money or a credit card out. Once you get used to wearing a money belt, it is no big deal. We always kept some money and a credit card in the ship's safe. Keep your purse on your lap while you eat out in port. All the European ladies do this.

I never felt uncomfortable anywhere. We had copies of our passports that we kept in the safe and gave a copy to our kids. I agree with the other person that you should put your passport in your money belt if you are far from the port. I had more fun, because I did not need to worry about anything.

Also, call your cell phone company and ask what your options are. Our company, ATT, was very good in telling us how we could use their service in Europe. They also told us how to avoid overcharges.

Hi

I am also booked for July 2013 (July 7 out of Barcelona) on the Epic. I lookied for a roll call but no one has started one yet.

There is much to plan for such a port intensive trip. have you booked airfare yet? I booked my hotel one night pre cruise but am waiting for the airfare from NYC to drop a bit (maybe).

Nice to look forward to after our recent brush with Sandy --hope you did okay too.

I agree about the euros to a degree. Yes, the exchange rate is cheaper when you use an ATM, but I still recommend buying a small amount before you leave (just like 100 or so). What if you arrived and the ATM network was down or your card didn't work? Having a small stash would alleviate those worries and give you time to deal with any problems.

Since this will be our 4th Med cruise and our 6th cruise in the Eurozone, we always have some cash when we return. But we still had no problem finding an ATM either at the airport or in the city. Just make sure that you know if you are "plus or cirrus" or some other designation that appears on the ATMs - just like in the US, some banks take some types of cards. And make sure your pin is a NUMBER and NOT a word - all ATMs in Europe use number pins for their machines - your "word" is not going to work, so change it now.

There are lots of discussions about this topic along with credit card uses, passport issues, etc - all at the Europe boards.

No we haven't booked airfare yet as we will be in Hamburg prior to board the ship for a convention. We have booked a hotel near the dock for the night before and may venture into Rome for the day if we get in early enough. We were very lucky with Sandy and the recent Noreaster, hopefully the rest of the winter will be uneventful.

Archived