RNY Gastric Bypass- Cruise 4 weeks post-op?

lillypad83

Somehow, the stars have aligned, and I have the opportunity to sail on the Ryndam Thanksgiving week with the hubs. I had a Roux-en-y gastric bypass two weeks ago. I feel amazing, I've lost 23 lbs, and I'm already eating "real food", even if it is just baked chicken and scrambled eggs.

I'll sail just before the 5 week mark. At that point, I will be eating three meals a day and two snacks. The buffets and alcohol don't hold a lot of temptation for me, because I'm never hungry. And even if all I do is sit in a deck chair and read for 7 days, it's still a great cruise.

Is this the worst idea I've ever had?

I definitely would consult with your surgeon. I had a vertical sleeve gastrectomy in late October a year ago. I would not have wanted to be away from home before I could eat solids. At the start I was never hungry. I do not know if you have to refrain from drinking anything 1/2 hr before and after eating but I still find that a problem when eating out.

You say you are eating some solids so the food choices would probably be ok. Will you be cleared to get in the water if that is your choice? Did you have any complications from the surgery or afterwards?

I went on a cruise about 3-1/2 months after my sleeve and all went well. With going to the gym, walking a lot and doing stairs I did well. I did not lose that week but I did not gain. But I was pretty well along on my eating plan by then.

I guess in summary I would go with what your surgeon says if you are comfortable going. Cruising is a lifetime thing for me and I knew that eating would always be a temptation on a cruise but being an almost normal weight and being able to do so many more things is well, well worth it.

Good luck and I hope you get to go.

Archived