kids and excursions

msmate

I was planning on signing the adults in our group up for a 3:30 whale watch with Captain Larry and was checking the fun factory hours during port time (we are on the Mercury). It says that they have special hours on port time from 12-2, but it doesn't say anything about the 5-7 time period. Will I have to get in room babysitting? How does this work if your child (mine is 3 years old) is in the fun facory from 2-5 but you won't get back on the ship until 7? Maybe I should take her on Captain Larry's Boat??? Any advise would be appreciated!

1 month to sail!

During the hours of 5-7, the Fun Factory Staff will take your kids to a special kids dinner in the buffet area, and then play games with the kids until the FF opens for standard activities at 7. There is a charge (I believe it is $6/hr per kid) and you just need to let the FF staff know that your child will be staying for dinner when you sign into FF that day.

By the way, the same service is available at lunchtime (also for a charge).

If you wanted to, you could leave your child in FF from 8 am until 10 pm and they would be fed, watered, and entertained. We've never done that, but one could. Some parents even leave the kids in FF while they leave the ship for shore excursions, but we've never done that either.

I just noticed that your child is 3. In order to use FF, your child must be completely toilet trained. The staff will not deal with diapers or pull-ups. They are completely inflexible on this point, so don't even bother asking.

Hopefully, your child IS toilet trained, because FF is so great and your child (if at all like mine was) will enjoy FF so much that they will cry when it's time to leave and go back to the cabin.

My recollection from our Alaska cruise last summer is that the Fun Factory remains open for the entire time that the ship is in port - they may have even waived the "fees" on those days. They seem to try to accommodate people wanting to do excursions. Depending on your child, she could be fine on the boat ride also. We did that last year and our older kids really enjoyed it. There is an enclosed area to sit in - fairly comfortable - with large windows. The adults could take turns going up top - the climb up with a three year old could be a little challenging. But, you don't miss much by staying on the lower level either.

Thanks everyone for replying. I asked the question because the FYI site on Celebrity states that during port days the Fun factory was open 12-2 but it didn't say 5-7. My daughter has been completely potty trained for over a year so that is no problem. I was thinking of taking her on Captain Larry's boat (only seats 23) there are still spaces open as of a few days ago. I keep going back and forth on whether to bring her, but time is running out! I am sure she will love the Fun Factory, she is very social!

Thanks!!!!

Archived