Cable Ties for Luggage

JoanP

Since a person cannot travel with scizzors or other cutting tools, how does one remove the cable ties from their luggage when arriving at their destination? A scizzor, cutting tool or knife is not always readily available when arriving (especially late at night) or upon embarkation for a cruise. icon_cool.gif

Joan...I put a small nailcutter (preferably one without the nail file attachment) in the outside pocket of one of the check in luggage. Just don't pull the cable tie so tight that you can't get the nailcutter into it.

Happy sailing!

Victoria III 4/99 (Yangtze River)

Maasdam 5/00 (W.Med) & 11/01

Veendam 10/00

Zaandam 5/01 (Alaska cruisetour)

Millenium 12/01 & 10/03 (transatlantic)

Amsterdam 5/02 (transcanal)

NCL Star 12/02 (Hawaii)

CCL Paradise 3/03

Noordam 4/03 (transatlantic)

NCL Dawn 8/03

Regal Princess Elaine 3/04 (Yangtze River)

Nail clippers with file are now allowed in your carry on bags. The TSA website has the latest news on airport security. You can always put a clipper or small scissors in an unlocked outside pocket of your checked bag. That is allowed.TSA web site - click here

Char

click <a href="mailto:gaultchar@aol.com">here</a href> to send me an e-mail

If you travel enough,it might pay you to get a set of the new TSA approved locks. They are available in both key and combination style.

Statendam-Alaska '97, Veendam-NE/Canada '98, RCCL-Bermuda, '99, Am. Queen, 2000, NCL Sky-Caribbean '03, NCL Dawn - Bahamas '03

NCL Sun Panama Canal

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=111111&cdt=2005;4;16;20;00;00&timezone=GMT-0400

Or most likely the airline will take care of removing locks or ties for you. We had ties on all of our luggage and when we picked them up at the airport they had been removed because of inspection. A lot of airlines are asking that you not lock your suitcases anymore. It makes their inspection easier. Also easier for my underwear to be coming out ahead of my luggage on the belt.

Partial list copied from the TSA web site:

U.S. Department of Homeland Security Can I take it? Carry-on?

Cigar Cutters Yes

Corkscrews Yes

Cuticle Cutters Yes

Eyeglass Repair Tools (including screwdrivers) Yes

Eyelash Curlers Yes

Knitting and Crochet Needles Yes

Knives, round-bladed butter or plastic Yes

Lighters * Yes

Nail Clippers Yes

Nail Files Yes

Personal care or toiletries with aerosols, in limited quantities (such as hairsprays, deodorants) Yes

Safety Razors (including disposable razors) Yes

Scissors-plastic or metal with blunt tips Yes

Scissors-metal with pointed tips No

Toy Transformer Robots Yes

Toy Weapons (if not realistic replicas) Yes Tweezers Yes

Umbrellas (allowed in carry-on baggage once they have been inspected to ensure that prohibited items are not concealed) Yes Walking Canes (allowed in carry-on baggage once they have been inspected to ensure that prohibited items are not concealed) Yes

Up to 2 lighters or 4 books of safety matches are allowed in your carry-on baggage - NOT checked baggage. Disposable lighters and absorbed liquid lighters are allowed in your carry-on baggage. Lighters with unabsorbed liquid fuel are NOT permitted. Strike anywhere matches are NOT permitted. Note Some personal care items containing aerosol are regulated as hazardous materials. The FAA regulates hazardous materials.

Char

click <a href="mailto:gaultchar@aol.com">here</a href> to send me an e-mail

Archived