Trouble on QE2?

guernseyguy

From another board:

An article in Norwegian newspaper Dagbladet's online edition yesterday indicated that after departing Ålesund, Norway, for its next port Flåm, the QUEEN ELIZABETH 2 turned around midway between the two ports, to head for Southampton. Dagbladet indicated it was due to onboard technical problems. One crewman from QE2 is apparently in police custody in Ålesund, on charge of rape of a colleague.

If anyone's Norwegian is up to it, the article is here:

http://*****.com/7w2gv

On the otherhand, InterTran renders the text as this:

A employed aboard facts British cruiseskipet «Queen Elizabeth 2» am sight to have rape a female colleague as boat was laying at pier in Ålesund night at Thursday. Boat «Queen Elizabeth 2» stayed at autobahn at Ålesund at Flåm in Sogn and Inlets , but turned on the way down. – Man , as do be about be feel at facts a prior Yugoslavian , sit now varetektsfengslet in Ålesund , say jourhavende Arnt Erik Oust against Sunnmøre politidistrikt at Newspapers News agency ANB ). Man am sight for rape , but declines straffskyld. Boat left Norwegian cheerio Thursday morning. Facts that boat put choice back against Southhampton , do be about however no matter have any along with rape to do , but be because of that boat getting technical difficulties.

Which if the subject was not so serious might be amusing.....

Anyone onboard?

Peter

We have just arrived home, from this Norwegian Fjords cruise, and as passangers we were not aware of anything untoward happening. We left Alesund on Wednesday evening, went to bed, expecting to wake up in Flam on Thursday morning, but found ourselves at sea, Captain McNaught made an announcement at 8-00am that the weather was too bad for the QE2 to go down the Fjord to Flam, and no other port could take the QE2 at short notice, so we would have an extra day at sea!:(

Flash,

How was your trip to the Fjords & did you take many excursions? Would be interested if you'd recommend any as I am taking the 6 July cruise to Northern Europe on QE2. How were the seas for the cruise - it was not rough for all of last week was it?

Kind Regards,

RJMS74

Interesting difference in reasons for not visiting Flam....perhaps the paper got it wrong...or some one is telling fibs....

Peter

Oh, my Lord ...

Is this a question of the Lady protesting too much?:rolleyes:

The excursions we took were - (Gerainger) The Norwegian Fjord Centre - which included a drive up the winding roads to various scenic viewpoints where we were able to take photos, and then to the Fjord Centre, which we thought was very interesting. Then in Alesund - City Tour and Atlantic Park - again we were taken to scenic viewpoints for photos and then to an aquarium where we could feed the fish, then driving around the town, which could easily be done on foot, in fact it would have been possible to walk, or taxi to the aquarium as well.

As for your question, were the seas rough - they were very smooth all week, in fact the night of the alleged incident, when Captain McNaught said it was too rough to go up the Fjord, my DH was amazed that the rough seas did not wake him up as they would normally have done!

We were due to take a trip on the Bergen railway in Flam, but of course we were disappointed.

Flash 2,

Thanks very much for your prompt reply to my earlier posting. It is good to hear the seas were calm - how was QE2 in terms of service, entertainment and food quality for your cruise?

Also, was the ship full?

Kind Regards,

RJMS74

The restaurant service on QE2 was excellent, (we were in Caronia restaurant), as for bar service, it was difficult to get drinks in the Grand Lounge just before show time. The bar stewards on duty worked hard, but there were not enough of them.

The entertainment was average!

The food quality was superb!

There was a notice at the Pursers desk to say that the ship was full, but we were not so sure. IMHO that notice is always displayed on cruise ships so that people do not ask to move cabins. Having said that, it did seem pretty full.

Ruth

Ruth,

Thanks for all the info re your recent QE2 cruise. One thing I forgot to ask earlier was what sort of weather did you encounter and how warm / cool was it ondeck during the daytime & or was it warm enough to swim in the outdoor pool?

My forthcoming July cruise as well as Norway includes Germany , Sweden & Amsterdam so I am hoping that parts of the trip will be quite warm weather. Having said this I am not quite sure whether I'll need a mixture of Summer / Winter clothing! Any advice would be much appreciated.

Kind Regards & Thanks,

Richard

Richard

The weather was better than we expected it to be in May on the North Sea, most days it was warm enough to sit on deck in a sheltered sunny spot. My advice would be to take layers.

Some brave people did use the swimming pool and plenty were in the hot tubs.

Ruth

Archived