Triumph out of Norfolk

wdrexelius

I've been following these boards for quite some time and want to thank everyone for all the valuable info i have recieved. I'll be sailing with my family in one week. Would anyone know how early we may board if the ship doesn't sali until 7:00pm? Our hotel will kick us out at 12:00pm. Personal vacation planner was not much help.

Hi Wdrexelius

I am also going on this cruise on June 5th. I am getting so excited. Hope you are too. I have started a roll call under the forum jump at bottom of this page under carnival if you are interested in reading that and seeing all the folks I have been talking too who are going on this cruise. I believe one of them told me that her TA said we could board around 12 or 1. I hope to be there by 12 -12:30 and will just be waiting in line to go through the procedure of boarding. I'm doing a meet and greet also. If you are interested, please let me know at my email Harconley@rivnet.net. I have enjoyed talking to folks who are going on this cruise and would like to talk to you also. Stay in touch.

Karen:)

Thanks Karen,

I just read the roll call thread and I'm getting very excited. I noticed a while back that you were going on this cruise, so every time I saw Karenconley I knew it was about this cruise. This wiil be my 7th cruise. You'll enjoy

the dolphin encounter and Me and my wife enjoyed Atlantis. Thanks again.

I hope you'll all be able to spend a day or two in Norfolk before or after your cruise. The cruise ships dock in a very walk-able part of the city; plus, there's a free shuttle that goes through the downtown area (NET bus). If the Tides are in, you'll have the opportunity to catch a good baseball game in the most beautiful minor league ballpark in the country (Tides are the AAA club for the Mets). There are several museums nearby, including Nauticus and the USS Wisconsin (you can walk around topside on the wooden decks). The downtown area has a lot of nice restaurants, and Town Point Park is very close (most summer weekends, there's some sort of festival going on).

Norfolk's downtown is very pretty, and relatively small. Our biggest "skyscraper" looms a whopping 27 stories. ;-) It's clean, and it's very safe.

Even if you don't get a chance to spend some time here on this cruise, perhaps you can do another one some day when you'll have a little extra time to spend with us. Enjoy your cruise!

Tides are in town the 3rd through the 8th. I agree that it is a very beautiful ball park. It is pretty safe to walk right around where the ship docks. Waterside is a good place to kill some time. If you like to party there are a couple of good bars there as well.

Thanks Elaine and cruisejunkie,

I'm looking as forward to going back to Norfolk/Portsmouth as much as the cruise. You see, I was in the Navy and stationed at Portsmouth Hospital 20 years ago and have never been back. My wife and I got our first apartment in Old Towne in Portsmouth so this may be quite an emotional visit. I can't wait to show my 2 kids where mom and dad first lived. We'll be staying at the Radisson in Norfolk the day before. Don't get me wrong, I'm looking just a little forward to the cruise as well!

Whoa, wait a minute.

I was in the Navy, and I was stationed at PNH 20 years ago..... (actually, once about 27 years ago, and then again about 15 years ago)

You didn't happen to work on the Labor Deck, did you? We may have met......

(kid#3 was born 11/1984), but that was when I was attached to Sewell's Point Clinic.

Seems like I've got Tidewater in my veins. ;-)

You'll probably really enjoy the trip. Old Town looks the same (duh), but Norfolk has really, really been cleaned up. Don't look for the Seawall restaurant in Portsmouth, it's long gone. You won't recognize PNH- it's all been re-done; they even took out the 'newer' parts of Bldg 1, but of course, they left the old facade and those huge steps.

If you've got time, take the kids to Nauticus. It's a very, very interactive museum, lots of cool hands-on stuff. Downtown Norfolk and downtown Portsmouth are both very walk-able; you can take the ferry between them for about a buck each.

Mornin All!

I have to put up a friendly disagreement with Elaine. I admit that I wasn't in Portsmouth 20 years ago---but I would say the downtown area has gone through an extensive refurbishment eg The Commodore Theater and the addition of Roger Brown's plus many other eating establishments. I also believe that even though the same houses are in old town you will find the great majority have been rehab'd. That being said , and to cover my hind area, There are still parts of Portsmouth I wouldn't go to --even in the daytime (the Elm St corridor to the shipyard).

Also don't forget the MacArthur Museum and the Macarthur Mall(not related):)

The last time my wife and I were at the cruise terminal (so to speak) was boarding Celebrity Horizon. Everything seemed to move smoothly and we were aboard by noon. However, that is a smaller ship.

Everyone enjoy your cruise, and those of you visiting, enjoy our city.

C

Hey Everybody, I have cruised out of Norfolk and I think since the ship doesn't leave until 7 that means it won't get into port probably till 9 or 10am. That in turn means you probably can't get on the ship till 2, but the lines by then will be getting long so if you can muster it I would wait about an hour or two after it gets in port then go and get in line.

Hey I could be wrong on this, I haven't sailed out of Norfolk since 2003 and changes could have been made, but just call carnival and see what time the ship is suppose to get in port and then judge!

ken

Destiny 5/00

Destiny 10/01

Triumph 06/02

Voyager 09/03

Glory 09/04

We sailed last June on the Victory from Norfolk. I hope they have improved - they were very disorganized. No one knew when the ship would arrive or where they would board....where we should wait....or anything! Our ship left at 7 and we got to board about 4. The ship didn't get there until about 2

Archived