Distance from Harrah's to Julia St. in NOLA

jdkirkp

My wife and I are leaving on our first cruise on 12/9, and while I have been to NOLA, it was years ago. We are staying at Harrah's the night before and will be leaving our vehicle there too. Google Maps show that the port is only 0.6 miles walking distance from Harrah's. Can anyone tell me if that 0.6 miles is pedestrian friendly? I can see that there is a RR track that seems to run parallel to the road, but since it may be cold and rainy, that may not be the best place to walk. Any help with the decision to walk or get a taxi would be much appreciated. :)

There is always someone that will post and say you can do it. And you can. But it is not pedestrian friendly and if the weather is bad, and it can be, you will not enjoy the walk.

A cab ride for two has always been around $5-7 to the pier. If you have baggage I would not do it. We always sail this same week on these dates. Weather can be from the 40's to the 70's and of course rain is possible.

Thank you. It looks like a very short walk on Google, but you never know if there is some sort of obstacle that makes it difficult for walkers. I think if an 8 year old can do it then we can handle it no problem.

We've walked part of that walk in November in the cold when it was not as busy in town as other times of year. There were still tons of cars and, though it was easy enough for us sans suitcases, I would much rather pay the $5-10 for a cab if I did have a suitcase, let alone more than one!

I would walk that far. Especially from Harrahs, through the riverwalk, out to the cruise terminals.

My wife and I usually bring 2 suitcases, and 2 carry-ons and I would not think twice about walking from there. We usually stay in the Garden District though.

• 3 weeks later...

Thanks to all for your advice. We actually did it both ways. On embarkation day we took a cab since we had too much luggage, including a 24 pack of Coke. The driver was very gracious and we definitely over tipped, but it was worth saving our arms carrying luggage and the cokes. On disembarkation, we were able to walk back (no cokes) and took us less than 15 minutes. Would have been even quicker, but neither of us were in any hurry to get back and start the 6 hour drive home!

Archived