Purchase Of Canon Camera

[QUOTE]It seems to me that the trend in digital camera's is towards the SD or XD cards with XD being the newer and smaller of the two. I've seen a couple of newer, smaller cards out there that I haven't paid any attention to as I haven't looked at a camera that doesn't use either Compact Flash, SD or XD cards. I'm assuming there will be something new to contend with in this coming year.[/QUOTE]

Agreed. I think the industry is milking the CF cards for all they're worth at this time. I have seen some of the SanDisk CF Extreme III cards and they are at 133x - or 20MB/sec - which is incredible. There are also vendors putting CFs out in 2, 4 and 8GB capacities - again - almost unimaginable.

What we can all bank on though, is that over time, just like it's always been - there will be newer, better and smaller technology. We have 8MP today, the prices will fall to around $500 and then 16MP will come out - and of course once again a new round of higher capacity/smaller physical size cards will be utilized. Eventually, you'll see 8MP cameras in cell phones and if you want 8MP in a camera, it will eventually cost you only $99.

Howard

[QUOTE][font=Comic Sans MS][size=3]Do you plan on taking any underwater pics or only shots on land? Think of all the pics that you would like to take and what you may want to do with them and then buy a camera accordingly. Its better to buy a good camera 1st to save you buying a second camera in the future[font=Verdana][size=2][/QUOTE][/size][/font][/size][/font]

That's an excellent point fierysand. Almost all of the digital camera manufacturers also make underwater cases for the cameras, but they tend to be a little expensive - and then, if you buy a $500+ digital camera, do you really want to take the chance that something goes wrong and water gets in it? We normally buy the single-use underwater cameras. The quality isn't top of the line, but it's good enough for what we use it for.

Howard

[font=Comic Sans MS][size=3]Hi Howard, yes I scuba dive so it was important to me to buy a camera that would allow me to take good pics underwater without any loss of colors. I purchased a Minolta (film) underwater camera a few years previous and found that most of my pics turned out blue as the flash was not strong enough for underwater photography. My Canon A95 is AWESOME for underwater photography and low light conditions. I paid $280 Canadian (roughly $215 US) for the underwater case but it was worth every penny! I have taken it scuba diving, snorkelling, cavern diving, rappelling in cenotes and just swimming in the pool and have had absolutely no problems with water. [/size][/font]

[font=Comic Sans MS][size=3]Sandie[/size][/font]

[QUOTE][font=Comic Sans MS][size=3]Its better to buy a good camera 1st to save you buying a second camera in the future[/size][/font][size=2][/size][/QUOTE]

I disagree with this to a point. Just like computers, you will probably want to replace your digital camera every 2-3 years as the new technology and specs are developed. My opinion is that you should buy a camera now that you can afford and that will offer you the specs that you want now, but that you should not over-extend yourself price-wise because just like any other electronics equipment, the camera you buy today for $600 will be $300 next year and discontinued in 3 years.

When I bought my Canon Powershot S45, the S50's came out the next month, and the price was the same as what my older model cost, yet the new model had 5 mp and several nicer features. Now, a couple of years later, my camera is nearly obsolete and the new models are so much better!! I plan to replace mine next year, probably keeping my old one around for underwater photography because we have the waterproof case for it (which I love).

Just want to say thanks, to each and everyone of you, who responded to my camera purchase post. You've given me a wealth of information that will make my purchase easier, and certainly more well informed. As an example, I never thought about batteries. I now know that AA batteries is the best way to go. Wouldn't have known that if it weren't for you.

I'm going down to Ritz Cameras here in Fort Lauderdale. Not to buy, but to look at these various models that you've suggested, to be able to pick them up, and see how they feel to the touch.

I'll be sure to post the model and number when I've purchased.

Thanks again to you all.

Best,

Bruce

Holland America, Volendam, December 16th, 2004, Southern Carribean
Holland America, Zuiderdam, April 9th, 2005, Eastern Carribean

Soon To Cruise on RCCL, Empress of the Seas, October 10th, 2005, Eastern Carribean

I hate to throw one more thing at you Bruce, but my Canon has a Lithium-Ion rechargeable battery and I love it. My old digital camera, a Nikon, took AA batteries and I would go thru a ton of them....very expensive.

With my Canon I have an extra battery and it's very simple to keep both of them charged. It only takes about 30 minutes to fully charge one of the batteries, and each battery takes 100's of pictures. I have never run out of power when I have started with both batteries fully charged. I find it very easy to deal with and I would never not buy a camera I otherwise liked because of the batteries.....either way is very workable. :)

I was just in a Target store this afternoon and, as is my habit, I stopped by the photo counter and accesories to see if there was anything I just couldn't live without. I've been holding off buying the rechargable batteries secondary to price plus I wanted the quick recharge feature. Target now has the 15 minute charger with 4 batteries for less than $30 and the 30 mknute charger for around $20.

I'll need to do a little more research as I want to get one which I can get the car charger accessory to charge on the go rather than have to keep more than a couple of sets handy just in case.

For us, this is good news. I'm sure that we've already gone through more than $30 in batteries this year alone with 4 trips to go including 2 cruises. A couple of these chargers will pay for themselves in no time.

[quote name='rsinj']Smart Media cards are history. I wouldn't buy any current camera on the market that uses them. Many places are getting rid of their remaining inventory of Smart Media cards as it is basically a discontinued technology.[/QUOTE]

I didn't know that. In fact, I have a brand-new SmartMedia card still in its packaging -- and it wasn't purchased on clearance either! My point-and-shoot Olympus (it's a 4000 model, they're selling 6000 models now) is about a year and a half old, so the change must be fairly recent. I had assumed that the newer Olympus cameras used the same format.

Sorry to give bad advice on that detail, but I still hold to my general opinion that the Olympus point-and-shoots are top notch.

[quote name='rsinj']Agreed. I think the industry is milking the CF cards for all they're worth at this time. I have seen some of the SanDisk CF Extreme III cards and they are at 133x - or 20MB/sec - which is incredible.[/QUOTE]

I agree. I also wonder if digital media, which is still a very new industry, will eventually find a "standard" that will be used in all brands of cameras. This has happened in other technical venues: When VCRs were new, both VHS and Beta were available, eventually Beta dropped out of existance. When film cameras were just becoming affordable, many different types of film were available, but today 110 film is rare and a disk is unheard of, while 35 MM reigns supreme.

[quote name='Desertbelle']I disagree with this to a point. Just like computers, you will probably want to replace your digital camera every 2-3 years as the new technology and specs are developed. My opinion is that you should buy a camera now that you can afford and that will offer you the specs that you want now, but that you should not over-extend yourself price-wise because just like any other electronics equipment, the camera you buy today for $600 will be $300 next year and discontinued in 3 years. [/QUOTE]

I agree. I'd be ashamed to tell you how many cameras (and accessories) I own, but I'll tell you this much: two kitchen cabinets full in my house, 1 kitchen cabinet and a drawer at school. Many of them are obsolete.

Especially since this is your first camera purchase, I agree that you should not over-extend yourself -- especially since you can easily satisfy your needs without exhausting your budget. Next year's models will offer -- as standard features -- things that are out of your price range today. And by next year, your new camera may have led to a love of photography, and you may desire features that today you'd view as extravagant.

Buy a good quality camera that suits your needs today, but don't assume that you'll still be using this same camera to photograph your grandchildren.

[quote name='dougp26364']Target now has the 15 minute charger with 4 batteries for less than $30 and the 30 mknute charger for around $20.[/QUOTE]

Here's another battery hint: I bought a set of rechargable AAs marked "for digitial cameras" from Radio Shack. They cost more than standard AAs, and they are green instead of the standard colors. They take longer to charge, but they also HOLD their charge significantly longer than the standards.

Now if I could just keep them in my cameras and out of the kids' Gameboys.

[font=Comic Sans MS][size=3]I bought Maxell nickel-metal hydride rechargeable AA batteries and quick charger for my canon camera. It takes an hour to fully charge them. I bought an extra set of batteries also. I was able to take over 500 pics over roughly 11 days before I had to put in the fresh batteries. That included taking the camera scuba diving in low light conditions. At home I've had the same set of batteries in my camera for 5 months now and can still take pics. Of course battery length will largely depend on individual usage.[/size][/font]

[font=Comic Sans MS][size=3]Sandie[/size][/font]

I just received the add from CompuUSA's online store in my E-mail. They have an offer that might just be to good to pass up, even though I love my wife's Cannon S1.

CompUSA has a bundle package on an Olympus D-545 that includes an Epson R200 photo printer, Kodak photo paper and a 128mb Xd card. The total cost of the bundle (after $40 instant savings and $100 in rebates) is only $179! That's a GREAT price IMO on a very nice camera, printer and media card. The Olympus D545 is a 4 megapixel camera with 3X optical zoom. It's a very nice camera for anyone, not just as a first foray into digital photography.

I actually have an Epson R200 photo printer at home that I received as part of a CompUSA bundle. As far as printing photo's, it's not bad. What I like best about it is it's ability to print directly onto printable CD's. No more labels for my collection of pictures on CD's. I take a picture that I really like and print it directly onto the printable CD and type in the wording I want to go on it (Like Explorer E. Caribbean 11/05) and then store them in a nice CD case. If nothing else I love this printer for that capability alone.

Through Memorial day CompuUSA is offering shiping on all orders for 1 penny. The offer itself is good through 6/4. I'm not sure if this is good as an in store offer or not. It might be worth heading out to the store tomorrow if you've got one in town to check it out.

[quote name='MrsPete']I didn't know that. In fact, I have a brand-new SmartMedia card still in its packaging -- and it wasn't purchased on clearance either! My point-and-shoot Olympus (it's a 4000 model, they're selling 6000 models now) is about a year and a half old, so the change must be fairly recent. I had assumed that the newer Olympus cameras used the same format.

Sorry to give bad advice on that detail, but I still hold to my general opinion that the Olympus point-and-shoots are top notch.[/QUOTE]

Don't be sorry - the technology changes so fast it's ridiculous.

I buy lots of my technology needs from Tiger Direct. Here's their SmartMedia memory page:

[url="http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/Category/category_slc.asp?CatId=377"]http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/Category/category_slc.asp?CatId=377[/url]

That's it - 3 cards, 128MB tops, and these cards are 12x and 20x.

In the last catalog they mailed last week, they actually said "Last chance to get your Smart Media cards".

Now, check out everything else:
[url="http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/Category/category_flash.asp"]http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/Category/category_flash.asp[/url]

Smart Media is at the bottom in comparison to everything else. The manufacturers are phasing it out.

We still have a bunch of 16MB Olympus Smart Media cards laying around the house. Once, I ordered one and by mistake they sent one whole package - containing 7 or 8 of them. I think they were about $50 each at the time! We used them in our Agfa 1MP camera (top of the line at the time). I still have it - takes excellent pictures and is just fine for pictures that we want to email or put on the web.

Howard

[quote name='bas7']Just went into my Favorites and found the site re: Lens Cap problems with the Cannon PowerShot S1 IS Digital Camera [/QUOTE]

Im looking at my S1 IS now and I guess this one has the Felt around the inside of the lens cap because I never had it pop out or fall out on its own, the cool thing about it thou, when you turn on the camera and the Lens moves forward and it pushes the lens cap off for you saving you an extra step LOL... as for the cap it has a lanyard so it stays attached to the camera.

We just bought the Canon Powershot S2 IS thanks to an early release.We have been anxiously awaiting this camera so we can get used to it to take with us in Dec.
My husband says it is simply an amazing camera and he is very pleased,which says alot. It takes good video as well which is what we were looking for,,sort of the best of both worlds since I dont want to tote around a camcorder AND a digi camera. It takes camcorder quality video with stereo sound. Look up the boards at canon.com - SO worth it.

Hi

Just wanted to say thanks to everyone who supported me with the information I needed to make my choice of my first Digital camera

And a special thanks to you Sandie. The Canon A95 is everything you said, and more. I bought it, and will begin learning the dynamics of the A95, inside out, and will now have a great camera to take pictures on my upcoming voyage. Your comments were instumental in my choice. I thank you.

Best,

Bruce

Holland America, ms Volendam, December 16th, 2004, 11 Day Southern Carribean
Holland America, ms Zuiderdam, April 9th, 2005, 7 Night Eastern Carribean

And Soon To Be Cruising on RCCL, Empress of the Seas, 7 Night, Eastern Carribean, with my New Canon A95 Camera

We bought my inlaws the [b]Canon PowerShot SD110 3MP Digital Elph with 2x Optical Zoom [/b]for Christmas and they love it. It's so tiny you can stick it in your pocket. We got it on amazon.com
[url="http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/B0001G6U9I/qid=1118078354/br=1-2/ref=br_lf_p_2//104-1503171-8435169?v=glance&s=photo&n=1067692"]http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/B0001G6U9I/qid=1118078354/br=1-2/ref=br_lf_p_2//104-1503171-8435169?v=glance&s=photo&n=1067692[/url]

Archived