Differences between Carnival and NCL

lenaris

Was on Carnival in Sept (8 nts)....NCL Pearl 6 nights Oct...and Carnival Glory 3 night "special" cruise after she got the 2.0 upgrades from Nov 15-18

Carnival pro's....wider hallways and slightly bigger cabins. More tv stations

I really did like the 2.0 burgers and burittos

but...the cutbacks on Carnival means that there is NO more reggae band, no steel drum, so very little live entertainment, they are cutting back so drastically. DJ music all the time on deck, in the lobby ...yuck.The workers are overworked, you rarely see any "white uniforms", the lido buffet is a mess, lots of out of service drink stations, lines, dirty tables. Ugh

The workers are so much more organized, happy, and friendly on NCL. They are also supervised constantly....I am certain the ratio of staff to guests is better on NCL? anyone know???

I loved the shows and the singers and so much entertainment and fun on NCL

I loved the "cold towel" when you come back from port, the washy washy, the varied "theme" nights and parties, White Hot, great duo Arvin and Emily, top notch shows like "Oh What a Night"

I loved the upsel Le Bistro...but Carnivals steakhouse is also very good

Both Carnival and NCL are lackluster in their nightly dinners I think. Carnival used to be much better, even a year ago...5 years ago they were great...but now?? Yuck

Honestly NCL's Summer Palace had a good first night, lobsters were tasty, but the choices and food was nothing to rave about. I think MSC and Royal were both better for nightly dining room food quality and service.

I personally don't do suites but from what I see NCL has the best suite perks. However, you do not need the suites to be treated well on NCL

The only thing I don't like about NCL is that I sail with a group and it is hard to get everyone to make plans to eat in the specialty restaurants. Freestyle is not great for a group.I would really like to try the Epic, the solo/studio lounge stuff :) I would want to eat in the specialty restaurants and yes, the buffet on NCL except for first lobster night next time.

I agree with sharecruises about CCL cutting back on live music and food quality. They have changed a lot in the last 5 years, but of course most line have as well. Just that CCL appears to be downgrading the cruise experience, going after "newbies", who do not know what cuts have been made, therefore don't complain or switch lines.

Based on my own personal observations, Ccl has NCL beat "hands down" on trashy "tramp stamps". Ccl has NCL beat again on "barbed wire tats per inch", clearly in both Men's and Women's divisions. Again, ccl tromps NCL in the "inattentive baby-mama" division. You got to love those tykes running up and down the halls at 2 AM, jamming the elevators and leaving sticky finger smugs ever where. Obviously NCL is just getting to damn "snooty" to presume cleanliness and order are what passengers want.

Brutal. Just brutal.

I was led to believe that the biggest difference was NCL didn't have drunks puking in the passageways or whizzin' on the neighbor's door! :eek:

i will sail on NCL anytime. but in all honesty for me Carnival has better food and larger cabins. but those 2 things do not determine which on i vacation on. i am just grateful too be sailing away and being pampered on my cruise. :)

Luddite, but to ccc's credit, they don't have "peek-a-boo" toilets like on the Epic. Who came up with that idea anyway? Were they on "acid" or just presumed a majority of Epic passengers wanted to "get their kink on"?

Just came off the Carnival Liberty last month and it will be a long time before I set foot on a Carnival-branded ship again.

The food was not very good. Problems with finding something to eat when you came back from a port as the only thing open was the burger place or you had to wait for a pizza to be made. Ate burgers and pizza for most of the cruise. Never saw any staff smiling.

I think you would like the NCL product.

sounds about right. Cutbacks galore on CCL. Staff cut to the bone and overworked so of course you are aren't going to be walking around smiling.

Food has gone downhill in recent years.

Entertainment has been cut back to where now they have 2-3 shows nightly that have audience participation. ie: karaoke, newlywed game

Bill

Luddite, but to ccc's credit, they don't have "peek-a-boo" toilets like on the Epic. Who came up with that idea anyway? Were they on "acid" or just presumed a majority of Epic passengers wanted to "get their kink on"?

True CCL doesn't have an Epic. Never been and don't plan to go on it.

Or in it, if innuendo puns are allowed here.:p

Archived