First time snorkeling

QuinlanCruisers

My husband and I are going to Cozumel on December 8 and will be snorkeling for the first time. We have reservations at Mr. Sanchos.

Looking for someone who has been there, because my questions are:

1. They provide the snorkeling equipment. Do they actually CLEAN said equipment?

2. Do they show you how to snorkel, or just hand you the equipment and send you on your way?

3. Trying to wrap my head around swimming in December. Is the water sufficiently warm?

Simply rinse the supplied equipment in sea water, the saline will cleanse sufficiently for you not to catch anything.

Try and relax about snorkelling, it's not as hard as it looks, it's an experience you ought to try at least once in your life and you might find it to be a new hobby.

The water will be warm enough to swim in, if you're worried about the temperature, wear a tee shirt it'll help you retain some body heat.

My wife is not a super strong swimmer either but with mask, snorkel and fins on is more than happy in open water.

Like I said rinse well in salt water and you'll be fine with the mouthpiece too.

Snorkelling is a great sport, it allows you to see so much without being encumbered with a tank etc., just remember you're not supposed to touch, just look.

Enjoy it!

Have just been a bit concerned about my mouth being on something that someone else had in THEIR mouth. Ya know?

Yep. Lots of people here agree with you and will not use the public snorkels.

If you think you'll be snorkeling more in the future, I would pay for at least a mask and snorkel set. You'll enjoy snorkeling much better with a mask that will fit your face and knowing the snorkel is yours alone. :) Doesn't have to be super expensive either. I've used snorkel sets from Target and they've lasted me for years.

You don't even necessarily need to pack the fins if you don't want to waste the suitcase space. You can rent those.

I strongly second the recommendation to get your own mask and snorkel, and to try it out to verify the mask seals in advance. If your mask leaks, snorkeling can be quite challenging if you have water in your face. Try a mask putting it over your face, making sure to not have any hair under the seal, then sucking in through your nose. If it grips your face and doesn't fall off even when you quit sucking in (but not blowing out) it seals.

Some snorkeling tour operators provide new (cheap) snorkels, but just in case, its good to bring your own. You can get a decent snorkel for under $10. Check with your local sporting goods store, dive shop, or online.

• 1 year later...

on most Carnival ships, you can buy a new snorkel for @ $5.00 at the excursion desk...sorry, didn't notice the original post date, but maybe the information will help someone else out

Edited by oldmedic