Diving Cozumel 5-21-05

alsanto

• 5 weeks later...

Hey!! We got back in Apr from the Coz on Nav of the Seas and had a GREAT dive with PapaHogs Diving!! Bec and our daughter got to see an 8'Moray out in the open (My son and I were already up doing our 15'stop due to being airhogs

we went to cozumel researching the dive operators and places to stay when we were on a cruise on the Voyager back in 2001. we've been waiting for an opportunity to return, and were glad we did it. What a great place to dive! I went from having 25 dives logged when I arrived, to ending with 36, and starting underwater photography on the trip.

we stayed at the Allegro and used the diveshop on property, Dive Palancar. William is the greatest DM, and took us to some great spots along the Palancar reef. we were in different parts of Columbia, the Reef, Deep, shallows.... saw the Cedral Wall, Santa rosa Wall and Punta Sur and the Cathedral cave. If you get a chance to dive with them, they have dives leaving almost every hour,and go on single dives at a time, or go out on a couple of two tank dives going out further. You probably can't make it to a two tank boat if on a cruise. they leave out at 7:30 and 8:00. there's probably other operators closer to the cruise pier, but you'll have a longer boat ride. six of this, half dozen of that... same diff to me, but people who can't take a long boat ride probably would prefer the taxi ride closer down to Palancar Reef, and go out from the south end, where the dive spots are 5 min. from shore. we saw lots of lobsters, eagle rays, all kinds of angelfish, great sponge formations and it was a blast. be warned that if there's a lot of current, a lot of sponge is in the water floating around. Make sure you bring at least a 2 ml wetsuit to keep the jellyfish off of you. there was tons all over the place wherever we went, but I only got stung once by a small barrel one. It's worth its weight in gold, over almost any other gear except my mask and snorkel.

You probably can't make it to a two tank boat if on a cruise. they leave out at 7:30 and 8:00.

I'm doing a 2 tank dive with Shore Trip (www.shoretrips.com) in Cozumel that will last 5 hours. It leaves at 1pm for divers only; no sightseers or snorkelers, although they do have that option on the morning trip. I havent done this yet; we leave this weekend on a Carnival Miracle cruise. We have a long stop in Cozumel, 8am to 10pm, so there's time. I'll report back with a review of the operator.

Cheers,

You're lucking out to have an extended time on the island,cuz my cruise was only there from 8-5, and you should be back on the boat by 4-ish. You're probably already on the cruise as I write this, but I'd think it be rougher currents later in the day. It was already pretty swift during the mornings. I know our night dive started at 6pm, and we were sailing at 4 knots. In 30 minutes, we went from santa rosa wall , past Cedral and came up at San Francisco. i didnt' realize how far it was til I saw a map when we got back. this was in April tho. hopefully, you had a nice smooth dive.

nancy

• 2 weeks later...

We also booked the 2 tank dive with Shore Trips. Once at the dive shop in Cozumel we were to find out the 2 tank dive was in the morning before our boat even arrived! There was no 1:00PM 2 tank dive. We had the same information about the dive being only for divers ect. The dive operaters however were excellent and tried to find a boat to take us out but all were booked so we had to just do a one tank dive.... Would just book directly next time. www.aquasafari.com

Archived