Id to get back on ship

carebott

We were in Cozumel a few yeas ago right after one of the hurricanes. There were so many shells in the shallow water you had to dive into the ocean instead of walking in. Right after my husband dived in, he realized his sea pass (the only ID we had brought with us) had been in his bathing suit pocket and was no longer there! Needless to say, we headed directly back to the ship.....the nice man in uniform with a machine gun blocking our entrance to the docking area just said "come with me" when we explained our story. He brought us over to the crew that was allowing passengers back on, and one of them had an entire list of passengers that he went through and found my husbands name. Then they took me aside and asked if it was indeed my husband, (I guess in case he was threatening me to allow entry to the ship). As soon as I verified it was him, they let him back on with instructions to go directly to the pursers desk and have another sea pass made.

Not saying that they would do that in every case, but did in that one.

Just curious...How many times have you "had" to show your "bought" passport when in a caribbean port?

Really chilled, but thanks for your concern ;):)

I have had to show ID many times in the Caribbean, I choose to use my US passport as ID. My point is why take the chance? I was hassled once with my children present. They were worried we were going to be detained. I take my passport because it is the best identification I have and there is no wiggle room for some customs agent who may be having a bad day or was just hired and returned from training knowing "all the rules". I am also following the advice of the many Customs and Border Protection officers that I know.....I was giving the OP the best options and attempting to answer their question.

To the person asking if you can use a color copy of your passport, I do know a person who does that successfully. I personally haven't had experience but I have heard it works.

and my apologies for telling you to chill. that was out of line.

Archived