NOLA hotels

ajenali

Anything marked "French Quarter" will be good for sightseeing. I tend to recommend Place De Armes hotel on St. Ann street, or one of the smaller hotels like that. The downside of those is they typically do not have a cruise package.

French Quarter Inn is OK, Charter house is nice, Olivier house is also very nice. Prytania Park hotel in the Garden District is very comfortable and does have a stay and cruise type deal (you have to stay 2 contiguous days on the beginning or end of your cruise to apply).

They are not the mainstream Marriotts, Shertons, Holiday Inns or other places, but those exist and are very comfortable as well.

The smaller hotels give you a customized room experience (Very old buildings, fitting in rooms is sometimes a... Challenge), and quite good service, but at the cost of parking and no rewards type systems.

I would tell you about the mainstream hotels, but I've never stayed in them in New Orleans. The only hotels I can recommend are the ones I've stayed in, like the ones listed above.

Also, close to the cruise port is anywhere Garden District, uptown, or French Quarter. The cab fare is usually less than $15/2 people. Make sure when you get in the cab you specify the Erato street terminal for Carnival or the Julia street terminal for NCL/RCCL.

And we do it the other way. We have stayed in all three Marriott's, Canal St, J.W. on Canal and Marriott warehouse district. Cab fare from the airport is a flat $35 for two, and from any of the hotels to the port is $5-7 for two. All are easy walking to any of the FQ points of interest and are full service hotels. Returned yesterday from our most recent cruise and used Doubletree for the first time, very nice. All four of these hotels have been under $100 for the two of us. We are elite at all and that may help. We book as early as the hotel allows and get very good rates. When the Saints have a home game, all bets are off and things can be very tough everywhere.

We have stayed at the JW many times, and prefer it to the Marriott. I also have another few favorites (I stay in NOLA on business at least 2 nights a month).

Residence Inn Convention Center.

It is Newly remodeled, free full breakfast and evening meal. Half of the hotel used to be an apartment building and you can book those rooms if you have a large travel party size. It has a courtyard with a resort feel, pool and BBQ grill area.

Courtyard Convention Center

Also newly remodeled with the new "Bistro" in the lobby. Beware that nothing is free here, but a realy nice place to stay.

Hyatt Place Convention Center

Newly opened, this used to be the old Hotel New Orleans. It has Great service, and a spectacular breakfast . You can walk out the front door to this hotel and see the ships funnell from there.

The Residence and the Courtyard can be had on priceline during the week if there is no huge convention in town for $55 a night. Just bid 3 star and Convention Center area and $55 and you will most probably get one or the other. I have stayed at each one at least a dozen times. I love me some Priceline:D

We like the Wyndham on Convention Center Blvd. We use our Caesar's/Harrahs Total Rewards card to get comped rooms. We have stayed at Harrah's before but if Harrah's is full Harrah's gives a choice of either the Hilton Riverside or Wyndham Convention Center (and one more hotel I can't remember). We prefer the Wyndham and have choosen them the last 3 times we have cruised out of NOLA.

I'm not a fan of high rise hotels and that is one of the reasons I like the Wyndham. The staff is great, the beds are comfy, it's clean and it has a good bar/restaurant. It also has a nice little area (outback) with a couple of tables and chairs away from the main entrance to sit outside and have my coffee and cigarette in the morning.

Archived