Cruise newbie to carnival going by myself

disneylud

Hello ladies and gentlemen.

My name Is Ludwik and I am going to be on my first stateside (From U.S. port cruise) on Carnival's Miracle September 18th.

I originally was supposed to go and meet up with some friends of mine but they now backed up and am going all alone. the last cruise I was on in 1994 was with a high school group out of Greece so I did not feel out of place and was with folks I knew.

Now, that I will be all alone I do not know what to expect, do, or even if I will meet other people my age on there. It is therefore I have some questions:

1.) Going by myself and with no one else, are there opportunities to meet other single travelers in events, etc. and what should I expect? I am scared that everyone will be with families and/or married that I will not find anyone to go with?

2.) What type of amenities can I expect and what excursions would you recommend?

3.) Finally, this is going (my cruise) during hurricane season what happens if there is some freak storm that does not allow me to fly down for the cruise and then If I am down there, the cruisce can't take off because you have to evacuate? What are the contingency plans....should you wait to book excursions till your on the boat...my travel agent told me you can not book excurisions in advance on this cruise leaving Tampa but you can once on the ship is this true?

I want to have a fun time but am worried that I will have no other soloists to hang out with can you offer any advice or assistance...I would gladly appreciate it...Thank you!

Don't worry Ludwik. I have cruised alone a few times before and always have a great time! There are plenty of people on the ship, of all ages. I have always found other single people around my age to talk to and hang out with, and have also met some nice families and couples to talk to. Just do the activities you enjoy and you'll meet other people who enjoy the same things you do.

1. There is usually a singles party. Honestly I think a person's ability to meet people depends on how outgoing they are. I was on my last cruise by myself in the cabin, but with a group. It made it nice for dinner as I can't tolerate eating with strangers, but most people don't have that hangup.

2. As far as amenities, what do you mean? The cabins have private bathroom, the ones I have been on have wall dispensers with soap and shampoo, and they put out a basket of sample sizes of toiletries. Free room service 24/7. There is a tv, which I never watched. There is a phone which I really only used to call room service. What specifically are you looking for?

3. The plane issue is why travel insurance is so important. If the ship actually does not sail, I would assume your money would be refunded, but I'm not 100% sure on that. I don't usually book excursions through the cruise line. I'm pretty adventurous and will do just about anything by myself - what are your tastes in activities?

ludwik

my first cruise was solo on the carnival spirit to alaska. it was an awesome cruise and i had so much fun. since you will be going on a warmer climate area, the ship will have more of a '' party '' atmosphere''. you will have a great time. i am a single lady and i was not worried the whole time about not fitting in or being alone. everyone was very nice and took me under their wing and included me in the activities. i met many wonderful passengers who made me feel so welcome and '' not a third wheel ''. just use your common sense for any safety issues and your trip will be a wonderful experience. i hope you have a fantastic time and make new friends on the ship.

I just returned from my first solo trip and had a lot of fun. They try to seat single travelers together, so my four tablemates for dinner were also traveling solo. This was also an Alaska cruise, so far less single travelers.

Check the roll call board and see if there's one going for your cruise. I met some really nice people online and we met on board, and saw each other a lot.

Even if you don't find other singles (I'm sure you will though), people on a cruise are very friendly and inviting. Don't count out couples and families, they can be good company too!

I agree about doing excursions you like, then you'll meet like-minded people and if you book through the ship, which you should be able to do online if you have a booking number, you will meet people that you'll then see throughout the cruise.

Have fun!

Hi Lud. I've done four solo-cruises. It's great, because you can go and do whatever, whenever, without checking with anybody else!:) I have met some great folks, especially at dinner in the dining room, and while having a nightcap at one of the lounges. I'm not shy, and can strike up a conversation with anyone - OR be all by myself with a good book.

Carnival does have a 'meet and greet' for singles early on in the cruise. Check your copy of the "Capers" (daily newsletter) for the time and place. I've never gone to these, but understand they're very nice.

I believe the amenity question was answered very well above.

As far as excursions, I don't book any through the cruiseline. When I get to a port, I get off and find a cab and go off on my own. (I do my 'homework' before leaving home and decide what I want to do in each port.) This is much less expensive than booking an excursion.

Don't worry about being solo......you'll have a great cruise!:)

You might also check the Rollcall section of these boards to see if any CC members will be sailing on the same ship. Only solo cruise for me has been with a Cruise Critic group & was wonderful. Have fun & enjoy yourself. :D

I travel solo often and think cruising is a great vacation for the solo traveller.

As for me, I pick ships that offer the amenities I care about: great fitness program, lots of nightlife options, good food and service. I also really like theme cruises because then there are lots of people that you automatically have something in common with. Jazz cruises, yoga cruises, etc., have been good choices for me. I book a balcony because I like my private spots as well and this guarantees me a really nice one.

I think if you are open and friendly and want to meet people you can. The singles events IME are a waste of time. There were three last week on the Glory and there was very little participation.

Do what you have fun doing, strike up a conversation if you feel in the mood and have a great time!

Cotton:

Do you feel safe in port getting in a taxi by yourself? I guess I just get a little nervous being a single female getting in a taxi by myself. Or do you share a cab?

MT - No, it doesn't bother me at all. I'm a pretty adverturous type, and not prone to being afraid - but I am always very aware of my surroundings, as common sense dictates.;)

I do get my own cab, and haven't shared one as yet. However, it would probably be easy to do.....just ask some fellow passengers at the cab stands if they're going where you are and if they'd mind if you share their ride.....for half the cab fare, maybe?

Some friends call me foolish to run around all over the globe like I do, but the older I get, the more I truly enjoy my alone time-and my time is my own without having to check in with others, y'know?

Just be aware of what's around you, and if something doesn't feel right or look right, don't do it. Good luck!:)

Cotton:

Do you feel safe in port getting in a taxi by yourself? I guess I just get a little nervous being a single female getting in a taxi by myself. Or do you share a cab?

I know this question was not for me but I am a single female cruiser as well so thought I would add my two sense.

I have occasionally met folks aboard who are going to the same place and we will share a cab. It is usually a couple and most always from my own ship. It keeps the cost down.

I am also well travelled and adventurous but agree that Cotton that you must be as cautious as you are anywhere and trust your instincts always.

Archived