Diamonds

gypsyrose

I have heard that you can buy diamonds real cheap when in port. We are going to be in Nassau, St. Thomas and St. Maarten. My question is.....where is the best place to go and even more important than that, if you are not a jeweler, how are you certain you are getting a good diamond and not getting a fake? I would really like to purchase a diamond band but don't know how to go about doing it. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!!:)

I usually buy nice jewelry on cruises, and my advice is deal with a reputable jeweler that has ties to a US company so you have recourse later. If you buy from a little individual jeweler and you have a problem once you get back to the US, you're stuck.

I've always been able to get good prices, but nothing spectacularly cheap (that would probably be a red flag for me). I'm going to the same ports you are and am planning on jewelry shopping in St. Thomas, where I have bought a ring before that I love. Just polish up your bargaining skills and read anything you can about diamonds before you go: I recommend a booklet called "how to buy a diamond" from Tiffany & Co. They'll give it to you free if you go into one of their stores and ask.

I was asking this same question in February when we took the Legend to St. Thomas, St. Maarten and St. Lucia. I wanted to buy diamond earrings for my wife, and wanted to make sure that I was dealing with a reputable jeweler. I was referred to Majesty Jewelers in Phillipsburg, St. Maarten. I did an internet search and found their website.

When we got to Majesty, we dealt with Sam. He was helpful and patient. I had done some laymens research on diamonds and he was able to fill in the blanks. We ended up buying not only two diamonds, but a pair of emeralds also.

We had the choice of buying the stones loose, or having them set by the jewelers and picking them up that afternoon. We opted to have them set as my wife wanted to wear them to Formal Night. We went to Orient Beach for a few hours, then back to Phillipsburg to pick up the earrings. They were not only ready, but beautifully set.

When we got back home we immediately had both the diamonds and the emeralds appraised by a local jeweler. He verified that the diamonds were exactly the color, cut, carat and clarity that we were told they were, and that we paid was a very fair price. The emeralds, however, were actually a better grade than what we were told.

Naturally, we would not hesitate to go there again to purchase jewelry. You can probably find their website by doing a search.

Bob & Gay

My wife is a jewelry buff. If it was up to her she would only want jewelry for every holiday, birthday or just everyday if she could have it. With that she has gotten pretty good at knowing what to buy and not to buy. But I can tell you this before leaving, go to a jeweler and talk to them about what you want and looking for and get a US price for this. Then when you are in the island you have a price point to go off of. If you think it is a good deal then get it and have it checked out when you get back.

Have bought alot of different pieces from all over and knock on wood have gottens so good deals. And you can talk them down in price. Don't just settle for the number they give you.

Archived