Looking for excursion to do with a 1 yr. old

ahanson123

Take a look at the NCL "beach break" offered as a shore excursion. It goes to Bannister Island, which is a very nice island with lots of loungers, a nice shallow entry into the water, a bar with snacks/food, shade palapas, etc. and a play area for kids. The real benefit is you tender directly from the ship to this island (about a 10 min boat ride) without having to go to Belize City itself- worth it with a small one. We took our kids last year and they loved it. It's my understanding that the tender into Belize City is even longer, and then you have to travel from there to do anything, so this really saves on travel.

I'd also consider a trip to the Belize Zoo. With a one-year=old, I would probably stick to ship excursions just for peace of mind. The zoo is very manageable (although I don't think it's particularly stroller-accessible) and very cute. You can get close looks at many animals, and it would be really fun for a little one to explore.

I'd also consider a trip to the Belize Zoo. With a one-year=old, I would probably stick to ship excursions just for peace of mind. The zoo is very manageable (although I don't think it's particularly stroller-accessible) and very cute. You can get close looks at many animals, and it would be really fun for a little one to explore.

Belize zoo sucks!

JMO.

Long drive and tender not eeally a zoo at all

I would do the Island as memtioned above.

I guess we have differing opinions then. I thought it was really cute, and plan to go back to break up travel time on our honeymoon. It's not big like a lot of zoos in the US, but zoos in the US don't let you put a boa constrictor around your neck, or pet the baby jaguar. I'm admittedly an animal nerd, but I know a lot of little kids are so I think it's a good option.

• 2 weeks later...

Hey... I just posted to find out if others cruising to Belize want to book a baby/toddler-friendly excursion through Coral Breeze Tours... Our cruise date is different from yours, but you can check it out... the excursion may be available on your cruise dates. It's the "Taste of Belize" or "Belize Food and Drink Tour" through Coral Breeze Tours (http://www.coralbreezetours.com). However, you need a group of 4 or more to book, otherwise, you can contact them via the link on the website and request to be placed on a wait list. Children under 3 years old are free. Hope this helps!

I would suggest a trip to the Community Babboon center and an excellent lunch at the Maruba resort. Your whole tour will be finished in 4 hours with a quiet rest stop at Maruba. (The Belize Zoo is in the western part of the country kind of far away from Belize City)

I would not suggest a cruise line tour. Babies don't always operate on schedule. A private guide will stop when you need to stop, help with baby supplies when necessary and take you back if at anytime you have had enough.

We were in Belize in early December and toured with David Chan at Dave's Eco Tours. You can find him on Trip Advisor. Call him. After you talk to him you will realize the difference between a tour and a private chauffeur.

Craig & Debra

Noodlebrain:

I looked at the tours, he has the Howler Sanctuary paired up with trip to ruins. Did you have him just take you to the Howler Sanctuary? The tour you did would be exactly what I would like and the right amount of time in Belize. thanks.

I've read all of the comments about the zoo and the Babboon Sanctuary and I can clear up some of the questions and concerns. First, David Chan with Dave's Eco Tours will take you wherever you want to go, at your pace. Consider him a private chauffuer and tour guide.

Second, for young children, the Zoo and Babboon Sanctuary are perfect. Like I mentioned in an earlier post the lunch at Maruba will give you a cool, clean place to freshen up and eat a great meal.

If you want a more customized trip talk to David. His cell phone is on his website.

I've got a special feeling about the Sanctuary. You see, when I was there a year ago a juvenile howler monkey came down from the trees to take a cashew fruit from me and shook my hand. His hand was black and soft and smooth as silk. I'll never forget the feeling. If I ever put it together I have a movie. It was really special.

You have to make your own adventures in Belize. I hope you have a good one. David can help. :)

Archived