Southamton Train Station?

MollyBrown

How far is the Southampton train station from QM2's dock? Is it worth it to lug suitcases by train from London, or is it better to hire a car (or taxi)?

Thanks.

Southampton train station is a 10 minute taxi ride from the dock (around £8-£10, iirc). Train fare from London Waterloo to Southampton around £24/head. Unless there are four or more of you travelling, train/taxi likely to be cheaper option than hiring a taxi for the whole trip - and possibly more comfortable, depending on how heavy your cases are!

Peter

We went via Southampton Train Station in 2003 for two crossings (Eastbound and Westbound). It was easy-to-use as WaterLoo hosts EuroStar which we used going to and from Paris. Anyway, it is a very short ride to the QM2 terminal from the Southampton station. At the time (August 2003) Cunard was offering free shuttle buses from the Southampton station to the cruise terminal beginning at 1:00pm. Don't know if this is still offered with the Princess takeover (and I doubt the Princess/Cunard CA would know anything).

Hope this helps.

The only problem with the train is that with all of your luggage, you will probably want to get a first class ticket so you will have space. I got a 2nd class seat for me and my elderly mother and had to leave the luggage way down at the other end of the car on what turned out to be a commuter-like train filled with locals going to other towns or to London. Very crowded and had to stand part of the time. It made me nervous to leave all the luggage unattended.

The trains run to London every 30 minutes or so, and the station is a very quick taxi ride from the docks. You can catch a cab at the station in London quite easily.

In December of 2003 my DH and I did a transatlantic on the QE2. We hired and car and driver to take us from our hotelin London to Southampton. We stopped at Stonehenge along the way, as well as a couple of stores. It was well worth the money to us. Next time, though, we want to take the VSOE.

• 2 weeks later...

If you are arriving at Heathrow Airport and wish to get a taxi to Southampton I would suggest contacting a Southampton taxi service directly and ask for a quote.

Mike Lambert

atstaxis@btconnect.com

The charge (last december) was 80 pounds which is cheaper than grabbing a taxi at the airport... their fare might hit 100 pounds.

ATS taxi service will also collect you from London if you wish and if you want to do some sightseeing on the way down, they will quote you for that also.

We booooked them three months in advance last year and the driver was there waiting for us as we came out of the customs hall. Excellent service.

If there are more than two travelling (with lots of baggage) they will send a six seater... for the same price.

If you work out the cost of a couple of first class train tickets to Southampton then taxi fair from Southampton station to the QEII Terminal the price is fast approaching 80 pounds... and with the taxi there is ZERO hassle!

Stephen

Archived