Ports u love and ones to avoid.

This thread is very much like the food threads.... very subjective. What I like, and anyone else likes really doesn't mean much. If the thread was what are the best beaches/ cities/ shopping etc. - then people could relate to that. But what is the best or worst port??

Personally, being from "The Great White North" - in the winter we want 'Sea, Sun, and Sand'. Period !! No cities, no history, no shopping. We just want a floating hotel to take us to - you guessed it... Beaches !!

In the summer we'll go to St Petersburg, Scotland, Alaska, LA, SFO wine country, OZ etc .... you get it... Be there, drive there - see it.

But.. Many people love to go to these places (Countries) and stop for a day to 'look around'. Good for them.. Just not me. YMMV

We have never been to Nassau or Freeport. We are going there for the first time on our Jan 28 cruise. Have no idea what to do there.

Personally, I am not a fan of Nassau. Other than Atlantis, I think Nassau is dirty, especially near the "straw market". I have literally seen rats running around there!!! If you like to shop/barter, the Straw Market CAN be fun (but, IMO, like I said, dirty, smells, also extremely hot and packed with people, vendors and merchandise). I also went parasailing further up in Nassau, not near the dock, if you're into something like that.

Sorry I can't be of more help.

Caribbean Favourite -Phillipsburg, St. Maarten, Roseau, Dominica

Least Favourite - Nassau, Bahamas, Montego Bay, Jamaica

Rest of World Favourite - Bangkok, Thailand, Hong Kong, China, Singapore, Civitavecchia(Rome) Italy, Venice, Italy and on and on

Least Favourite - none to mention

Does anyone know if Roatan still has the zip line across the road from the pier? It was the most awesome location as it allowed my teen kids to do the zipline for a really good price ($55 about three yrs ago) and my husband and I did not have to pay to attend with them as it was right there by the pier. We were able to just wait at the zipline 'office' area for them. Should probably post this on the port of call.

We always use Victor Bodden when we go to Roatan and he does have ziplines ,I think its called zip and dip.We have used his guides for years its worth a look google him.They cater to what you want to see and do and its very cheap for a whole day guide

I liked your post. People get ticked off at me for saying how I really feel about Ocho Rios. I understand some people like it there, and I don't ever mean to take away from that. I simply tell people how I felt about the port.

I hated it. The people who wanted to braid our hair or sell us useless crap were beyond pushy. They were scary. Had my husband been there, I would prob have just disliked it, but we were two women on our own, and I felt like prey. It was not fun at all. Dunn's River Falls was beautiful, but even that was scary, since we did not climb, we just walked the paths. We had a self appointed "tour guide" who would not leave us alone and demanded money for his wonderful "tour", which ended at the bottom of the attraction area near a gross little beachy area that was even MORE shady.

We couldn't find our taxi and there's no way to get out to the lot without going through all the vendors. People were literally grabbing our hands and trying to lead us in two separate directions. I finally got upset enough that I stopped trying to politely say, "No, thank you," and just started telling people to leave us alone and stop touching us. By the time we got back to the cab, I actually had a conversation with the driver that went like this:

Me: We want to go to the port.

Driver: OK

Me: JUST The port.

Driver: Yes, the port.

Me: We do NOT want to stop anywhere. We do not want souvenirs. We do not want to pick anyone else up. We just want to go to the port. Do you promise you will take us straight there?

He probably thought I was a nut or a b*tch, for sure.

I have been to Ocho Rios 3 or 4 times and loved it every time.Pushy vendors are everywhere in the world and because someone is trying to make a living it does not make an entire country or port of call a "dump".

What is HMC? I racked my brain but couldn't think what it meant. I assume it is a Caribbean port.

As far as a favorite port, Venice! Wonderful. See the quiet island of Torcello there if you can. As far as a bad port, I would say the one in American Samoa. Yes, it's safe, but the island was very, very littered. Some very neglected dogs here and there. We took a tour with Alofa tours from the pier, and the young man guide was virtually silent the whole drive! Part of the time there was a rugby game playing on the van TV, which interested him. The worst strangest tour I have ever been on.

What is HMC? I racked my brain but couldn't think what it meant. I assume it is a Caribbean port.

As far as a favorite port, Venice! Wonderful. See the quiet island of Torcello there if you can. As far as a bad port, I would say the one in American Samoa. Yes, it's safe, but the island was very, very littered. Some very neglected dogs here and there. We took a tour with Alofa tours from the pier, and the young man guide was virtually silent the whole drive! Part of the time there was a rugby game playing on the van TV, which interested him. The worst strangest tour I have ever been on.

HMC is Half Moon Cay...Carnival's Private Island. That island is probably my most favorite island so far!! The beach there is absolutely stunning and the water is so so clear and the sand is so white!! I love renting a cabana when we go. Everything is provided for you....snorkel gear, snacks, soft drinks, water, fruit.... padded loungers.... a fresh water shower to rinse off in. It's just perfect!!!!

I loved Grand Cayman and swimming with the sting rays!!! That was awesome!!! St Thomas - Magen's Bay is stunning!!!!

We're getting ready to go to Grand Turk. I've never been there before. Anyone have any suggestions as far as what to do there?

My wife and I have only been on one cruise, and only been out of the country this one time (if Canada doesn't count). We did the Western Caribbean cruise with stops in Cozumel, Belize City, Roatan, and Grand Cayman. We enjoyed all of them, but didn't see much of Cozumel itself as we went to see the Ruins in Tulum.

Belize I could see how people might not like the city the port is in . . . The capital is very poor, and the tender port is something like four blocks long and one block deep with guards armed with semiautomatic machine guns at the gate. People that just go to the port and shop at the same t-shirt stands or jewelry store that they have at all of the other cruise ship ports probably won't enjoy this one. However, we booked an independent cave tubing tour and had a pretty good time. We stepped out of the gate and got right on a bus, they drove us through the city showing us the sites, then a forty five minute drive out of town. Then we stopped back at their thatch roofed hut and had a nice tamale lunch made in banana leaves instead of corn leaves. It wasn't a bad time, although not everyone had a good time. This also would have been a great port to go snorkling from, but again, you have to get on a boat and leave the port area.

We LOVED roatan, and would vacation there without a cruise (although it will probably be overrun with people just like us that fell in love with it on their cruises). We did a private zip lining tour with over two miles of zip lines, followed by a couple hour beach stop.

We enjoyed Grand Cayman, but it was a little bit expensive. Ate lunch there, and shared a sandwich (Fried Grouper) and appetizers (Conch Fritters) and I think had a glass of water and it was $40. But the ocean and beach were beautiful, we didn't do any excursions here (luckily there were no armed guards so we felt safer to roam around).

1. Mystery Island, Vanuatu

2. Lifou, Loyalty Islands

3. Isle of Pines, New Caledonia

4. Dunedin, New Zealand

5. Sydney, Australia

In no particular order

Not a Port but scenic Cruising would have to go to Milford Sound in New Zealand's Fiord land.

Breathtaking scenery in a largely untouched part of the World.

I have been to Ocho Rios 3 or 4 times and loved it every time.Pushy vendors are everywhere in the world and because someone is trying to make a living it does not make an entire country or port of call a "dump".

Like I said, my post was MY opinion. Can you please point out to me exactly where you see me saying the entire country or port was a "dump"?

Pushy vendors are NOT everywhere in the world, by the way.

Like I said, my post was MY opinion. Can you please point out to me exactly where you see me saying the entire country or port was a "dump"?

Pushy vendors are NOT everywhere in the world, by the way.

Never said you called it a dump ,maybe you should read post #9 the poster you agreed with:)

Archived