How do I improve my chances of booking a shore excursion after boarding?

Guess I'm looking for some advice from some seasoned RC cruisers:

RC's online shore excursion booking system put me in a bit of a pickle. My family is sailing in two cabins on the June 19 Mariner cruise. I booked one cabin for the Cayman Snuba tour on-line, but by the time I tried to book the other cabin (different reservation number, so different internet session) the tour came up as sold out:eek: . So now only half my family is booked on this excursion.

Surprisingly, after 5 emails and a phone call, RC won't do anything for me, except tell me to check on it after we board.

I believe RC holds some slots open in these tours for on-board booking, and so my question is how can I improve my chances of booking this tour on-board so my family can be together for this tour?

Or, are there other ways of handling this that I as a newbie cruiser don't know? Thanks for your help!

If I were you, I would go directly to the excursion desk when I get on board. IF there are any slots open, that is the best way to get one. If they say they are full, I would ask to be put on a wait-list, just in case someone else doesn't show up, or cancels.

I don't know if they hold slots open for on-board booking or not.

The only other suggestion I have it to look at the Cayman ports of call board and see if they recommenda SNUBA excursion. You may find one there.

Good luck!

Michelle

I'll certainly try making a beeline for the Excursions desk - I assume they'll be open right when we board.

I've already checked with the (apparenly only) snuba shop in George Town. He does the Cruise ship tours and so is not allowed to book cruise ship passengers on his own. Perhaps if he heard my sob story... :)

Anybody know if the online booking ever opens up (for example, if people cancel)? I've been checking it every day, but no luck so far.

Some people say the planning of the cruise is the best part. I certainly hope not!!

Mike, if things don't look like they will work out, we booked a SNUBA excursion on Cozumel on the Zorro. Had a wonderful time. I don't know if you are going there or not, but it could be a great alternative.

Sheffie: yes, we'll be in Cozumel, the day after George Town. We plan to do some dune buggying and snorkeling there. If worse comes to worse (and really, how bad can it be in the Caribbean??) I'll take my daughter snuba-ing in Grand Cayman (it's at the top of her list for this cruise) and the then meet the rest of my family afterward...

I get the feeling we're going to have a great time no matter what happens. Sun. Food. Seven days of vacation. What's not to like?

Mike,

Have you tried Island Marketing Ltd.?

http://grandcaymancruiseexcursions.com

We booked Stingray City through them and also SNUBA in Cozumel.

http://www.cozumelcruiseexcursions.com

We liked the reefs in Cozumel beter than the ones at Grand Cayman, but that was just our opinion.

We tried for the Zorro that the OP recommended in Cozumel, but our Mariner port times didn't match their schedule. The same company runs a smaller dive boat called the Maria de Mar. We took that one and it was fantastic!

Have a GREAT time.

Archived