Advice for 1st timers

Hi, we are taking our first cruise and it will be on the Mariner from Vancouver to Whittier. We will be taking our 16yr old son and I have to book the excursions soon so just would like some advice on what are the "must do" excursions that will keep a teen happy but still give us plenty of time to enjoy the ship? Since it was an expensive cruise to book, especially with two cabins, we would like to enjoy the cuisine, spa, etc. but also would like to do some exciting excursions. I've done a lot of research here already but don't want to spend all our time off the ship so would really like some opinions on what excursions are really worth the time and money and that a teen would enjoy. Thanks!

I've cruised Alaska, but not on RSSC so these comments are obviously generic.

You have three days "at sea", so there will be plenty of time to enjoy the ship. And most of the excursions are only half day, so you won't even have to miss lunch.

The excursion booklet that comes with your tickets will hopefully be better written than the website descriptions. Some mention things like dog-sledding or canoeing in the title but then fail to include it in the summary.

Highlights include the kayaking and helicopter.

I don't know what RSSC's policy is regarding minors on excursions, but you should send him off on a few excursions by himself -- hopefully he'll find a buddy on board. The biking, canoeing, and dog-sled would usually be things appealing to an active 16 yr. old.

Be sure to attend the excursion lecture; you can usually change your choice up to a 24-48 hour deadline, subject to space availability. I think the helicopter rides are usually the ones to get filled up.

Might be a good idea to lead him to the website to read about the excursions available, and get his take on what he thinks he'd like. Then those of us who have done them could offer additional insight? Not knowing your son's likes and dislikes makes it a little difficult.

That's what I'll do when the excursions are posted although he's not too keen on going anywhere with us at his age! Friends have told me their teens resisted even a cruise but always ended up enjoying it and hopefully he'll meet some other kids.

If you are going mid summer, there should be some other kids that your son will be able to meet and hang around with. When we did the Mariner/Alaska at the end of May through the first few days of June, there literally was one teen aboard with his grandparents and he was by far the youngest person on board! My sixteen year old will be seen with us as long as it involves food or fun, so you should be okay! There are some pretty exciting shore excursions (helicopters, planes, dog sledding etc, off roading) that would really interest a teen. Being on board might be a little boring for him until he finds others of "his kind" or unless he enjoys he company of parents and other old folks. (We did the Alaska without kids, but took the three kids (teens and college) on a Caribbean cruise on a less expensive but less enjoyable family cruise line) With his own cabin, room service, a few new buds and some adventures, he will have a great time I am sure.

Cathy

747, the excursions are posted for all the June cruises, so zero in to one that matches your itinerary, and he will have lots of reading. I have four children, now all in their 20's and Alaska and PG I took some or all of them and all enjoyed both! I think with teens, all of us parents are constantly treading on eggshells everyday, and especially for family vacations. Perhaps if he thinks it is his "call" on what you do, he will feel more a part of the planning, as all of us parents know how much those teens hate to be "told" what they are doing! There is so much fun stuff in Alaska, he just needs to zero in on what HE likes to do. Once in Skagway, my son and I got off the ship (don't know why we left the others onboard), and rented bicycles at a shop nearby, and had the best time. We cycled to the end of the town where there is a "graveyard" attraction, and climbed up a big rocky hill with lots of trees through the graveyard to a waterfall. My son had never seen a waterfall! He thought it was awesome, and climbed up the rocks beside it with his camera to take pictures. This is not the type of "excursion" you will see on a ship. Another stop, in Ketchikan I think, we took the ski-type cog train up the hill and climbed a bit further along the road to go to a Salmon hatchery, that was very instructive as to how they farm these fish that come home every year and find their way to our tables for dinner. They showed us everything from eggs to the fish coming home once again. The kids loved it. But then again, they don't roll their eyes at parents so much as teens do. Good luck with your planning, and I hope this will be a great family vacation!

747- We are taking our 16 yr old son and 21 yr old daughter to Alaska June 22nd. He looked over the website and chose the Go-Carts, Rock Climbing and Salmon fishing. I can let you know when we get back how things went.

Archived