" Dress Up Only " restaurant ?

If your ship offered a " Dress Up Only " resturant, would you attend ?  

270 members have voted

1. 1. If your ship offered a " Dress Up Only " resturant, would you attend ?

• Yes
    • No
    • Don't care

Allen, you're wasting your...energy. Everyone pussyfoots around the truth, and maybe it's time it was said bluntly. It boils down to the following reasons why people refuse to dress formal]

Yes it is time to say it bluntly. I bluntly think you're wrong.

-Monte

Yes it is time to say it bluntly. I bluntly think you're wrong.

-Monte

Monte, with all due respect.....

For me to be "wrong" about what I said, the following statements would never have been stated on this board, and I really only had to paraphrase a few of them, because they were in threads that got poofed. One thing I did notice though, while I was looking for negative post was, that the majority are still for wearing formal on formal nights or dressing in at least smart casual for the other nights dinners. So looks like the majority, which includes me, ARE right, since we follow the suggested attire. You know what they say, majority rules....

I'm sure there are more examples still on the board, but I really have a busy weekend ahead of me, and have spent too much time already. Just wanted to give you the references that helped to define my opinion on this. Some of these could have easily fit into more than one category too.;) Interesting though, how the self-centered category is the larest, and I think I was fair about that....

Lack of manners/social etiquette;

"To the other wana-be snobs. Please book passage on Silver Sea, So us common folk can enjoy being comfortable"

"it is no ones business what other people wear to dinner"

"I am assuming that you are female - if you look good in capri's - by all means wear them - yes, even on Formal Night, if you feel comfortable"

"I have worn jeans in the dining rooms at dinner on every single cruise I have been on (NCL, Princess, Carnival, Holland America, Celebrity), have felt completely comfortable, and never ever had a problem. Bottom line: when you are sitting down, no one can see your pants."

Money;

"It will be really hard for me to show up in a gown and make them feel bad because they can't afford formal clothes"

"These people (I call them snobs) need to get a life and get over it! Who cares what others are wearing, tend to your own wardrobe ( or business) - these people that cruise often are very fortunate to be able to do so and can probably afford new clothes every cruise - but not everyone can!"

"And I'm not going to go buy new clothes for my cruise that I will probably not wear until I cruise again."

"They also live in jeans and I don't see buying lots of new clothes (for them, for myself yeah) just for the cruise."

"Ever consider that booking a cruise puts a big dent in the wallet and maybe some people actually cannot afford to go out and buy a suit or a fancy dress that they may never have the occasion to wear again"

" Not everyone has nor can afford to buy new "formal"."

Lazy;

"I would like it if formal attire was optional. It's a pain to pack, and I'm too old to play dress up."

" I'm a short-wearing, non-formal attending, casual cruiser...and a darn proud one at that"

"I'm just more comfortable in casual clothing", formal wear is NOT comfortable."

"I wear a suit and tie to work everyday, I'm not doing it on my vacation".

"I was just trying to pack as ight as possible..."

Self Centered;

"We all pay that much money, then we should be able to wear whatever we feel comfortable in."

"It's your vacation do what you want. If you are comfortable in jeans...wear jeans."

"Dress any way you like for dinner, and if the other snobs think that they are better than you, screw them."

"To the other wana-be snobs. Please book passage on Silver Sea, So us common folk can enjoy being comfortable"

"I'll wager on any night, casual or formal, I'll look as good as your husband/partner/boyfriend any night, even if I'm in my jeans.".

"Whats wrong with a dress shirt and pants??? I consider that dressed up..."

"If you want "premium," spend more and cruise Crystal, Seabourn, Silverseas, Radisson, or Oceania--the last of which is "premium" without all the unnecessary formality."

"More power to you if you want to wear jeans...... People who can't eat their brie because you are in jeans are the one with the real problem.

It's a free country, no one has the right to tell you what to wear, if they are taking your money"

"i'm sorry you feel that I disrespect you while I am wearing anything but a tuxedo. I prefer golf shirts and khakis for formal nights."

"The formal nights are "guidelines" not some communist manifesto."

"hey won't turn me away, they don't enforce their guidelines....... you poor people that feel the need to wear your tuxedos, while I am casual.

Don't stain your Armani tuxes......"

"Is my vacation and I should be allowed to dresss how I want."

Are you really sure these reasons are the only ones people use? Or are they just the ones you choose to quote? And your conclusions (lack of manners, self centered etc) as to what the different statements amount to is basically a crock.

Majority rule doesn't make the majority right.

-Monte

Are you really sure these reasons are the only ones people use? Or are they just the ones you choose to quote?

-Monte

Dang, you edited when I was posting back to you....:)

Ok, I'll give you that one...thinking of an election here...;)

No, I searched the entire board. Carnival, NCL, Celebrity, RCI,.... The point I was trying to make was, that these are the reasons people SAY they don't want to dress formal, which has helped to define MY opinion of it. I really looked for all reasons....not just the ones I listed...but I did not find other reasons....if you do, please post them.

Are you really sure these reasons are the only ones people use? Or are they just the ones you choose to quote? And your conclusions (lack of manners, self centered etc) as to what the different statements amount to is basically a crock.

-Monte

Since you keep editing...

We'll just have to agree to disagree. Have a great weekend, and Father's Day...assuming you have kids.:)

I dress within the guide lines set by the cruise lines (one exception was when my bags didn't make the ship-all I had was a white shirt & tie) but I've never been bothered at all by what anyone else wears and it's never lessened my experience.

I do think it's somewhat funny though that the subject of dress in church came up. Heck, I don't care if people go to church in rags, it's the act of going to the church that's important.

jmo

-Monte

I only wish that people would make an effort, and not say "ewwwwwwww" when I order escargot! (Because commenting on my food choice, is as rude as asking how much money I make) he-he...

Too funny! I never say that when some one orders it. But I have been at a table and some one who orders it and notices I do not seems to think I should try it. I will explain politely once that I prefer NOT to try it......usually to get told I don't know what I am missing....:( Well, hmmmmm....I usually make some comment about living in Oregon and my garden....:D

HOWEVER, I think they could do away with the formal night on the 3 night cruises.

I posted this else where (maybe even here, I can hardly keep up) anyway, on the 3 day cruise is formal night 'Formal' or more 'Cocktail' dresses for the ladies? I want to know what most people wear.

Thanks

.I usually make some comment about living in Oregon and my garden....:D

Hope you haven't taken a fancy to my pets, the Banana Slugs.BTW-We're headed to Newport for vacation in a couple weeks. I love it there.

-Monte

Hope you haven't taken a fancy to my pets, the Banana Slugs.BTW-We're headed to Newport for vacation in a couple weeks. I love it there.

-Monte

Newport is quite nice. Last year I had the entire summer off for Maternity Leave, so we took several trips to the coast and 'camped' for a few weeks. Newport is one of the places we went. We enjoy the aquarium.

We also like Florence & Bandon a lot.

I was hoping to get a response from TJUKKA, or someone else of her status, on this whole formal disagreement. But, I found something else that will do just as well. Her name is Joyce Gleeson-Adamidis. Joyce's bio is below. (excerpt from CC article). She posts some of the articles for CC's Insider Tips for First Time Cruisers in the Features area of this board.

(Full Article here:http://www.cruisecritic.com/features/articles.cfm?ID=194 )

"Joyce, who's also written a book about cruise ship life -- If I Were Not Upon The Sea -- has spent much of her last 25 years onboard. She's worn numerous name tags, ranging from social hostess and onboard lecturer to assistant cruise director and cruise director, before adding captain's wife to her list of titles."

(Full Article here:http://www.cruisecritic.com/features/articles.cfm?ID=194 )

Since she is married to a captain I figured we could use her expectation of what formal night is meant for.

"On a mega ship, you will see everything from Yves St. Laurent to Nikes with Bermuda shorts and then some. Though it is respectful to the Captain and crew to dress for formal evenings, on many ships you don't have to -- there are casual dining options available to you. But for those who want to live the glamour, go all out." (Full article located here: http://www.cruisecritic.com/features/articles.cfm?ID=194 )

I don't mind those who choose not to dress up. But my argument becomes valid when they are not following the dress code and choose to enter the "formal" dining room. I belive that was commented in the above as well.

Too funny! I never say that when some one orders it. But I have been at a table and some one who orders it and notices I do not seems to think I should try it. I will explain politely once that I prefer NOT to try it......usually to get told I don't know what I am missing....:( Well, hmmmmm....I usually make some comment about living in Oregon and my garden....:D

My wife had that same narrow-minded attitude when we first got married. She had been raised by parents who thought mushrooms, shrimp and onions were radical food. For our honeymoon, we took a cruise and I ordered the escargots. I asked her to taste them, and she went into the "ewww... that's so gross" routine. Finally, she agreed to taste them (it was our honeymoon, so things like that were still possible :D ) and all it took was two bites. The first to taste them and the second in disbelief that escargot was delicious. Since then, she never misses a chance to order them if they're available.

Allen

My wife had that same narrow-minded attitude when we first got married. She had been raised by parents who thought mushrooms' date=' shrimp and onions were radical food. For our honeymoon, we took a cruise and I ordered the escargots. I asked her to taste them, and she went into the "ewww... that's so gross" routine. Finally, she agreed to taste them (it was our honeymoon, so things like that were still possible :D ) and all it took was two bites. The first to taste them and the second in disbelief that escargot was delicious. Since then, she never misses a chance to order them if they're available.

Allen[/quote']

Well, I very glad that you both enjoy them. As I spend much of the spring and fall getting rid of their disgusting cousins, I will continue with my 'narrow-minded attitude' when it comes to escargot. Fortunately for me, there are thousands of other foods that I do enjoy.:D

Archived