Radisson's Errors

I just got my documents, less than 3 weeks before departure, and thanks to the eagle eyes of my travel agent, discovered that Radisson had sent me tickets from Moscow to Copenhagen, instead of Stockholm, and had booked me for only one night at the hotel in Copenhagen, instead of two. In addition, there was a form about visa requirements that stated that if you are "embarking or disembarking" in Tallinn, Estonia, you need a separate visa or you must go with a Radisson tour. When I called Radisson, rather upset because I got this notice at the last minute and I did not want to take the ship's tour, the agent confirmed that I would not be allowed to walk around Tallinn on my own and she told me to call Zierer Visa Service to confirm this. When I did call Zierer, the first idiot told me that I could use my Russian visa in Estonia (hello?). The next person told me they knew nothing about this so I called Radisson back and finally got someone with a brain on the phone! You only need a visa for Tallinn, Estonia, if you are first joining the cruise there or leaving the cruise there but if you are just stopping for less than 12 hours you DON'T need a visa! Check your documents carefully and don't take the first person's word for granted.

Cactus Lady,

I loved Tallin! The people were so open and friendly, difficult to believe they were under the communist boot for so long. A totally different mindset that what you see in Russia. You should go sometime. Do you have any family there?

I have heard wonderful things about Tallinn. People compare it to Prague. I wanted the freedom to either explore it on my own, which I've heard is very doable, or go with a tour. Since we are doing a pre-cruise in Moscow and have three very exhausting days planned with RO in St. Petersburg, I may not feel like going on a tour. Fortunately, I have the option.

Ellen,

Those types of problems are so frustrating! That's why I love my travel agent - she does a great job with follow-up when necessary. I loved Talinn - took a morning excursion which was a waste but really enjoyed just wandering about the old town for the rest of the day and stopping for lunch. It's the perfect place for no set plans! I also enjoyed the shopping - linen and flax and other items I really didn't see elsewhere. Have a wonderful cruise!

Tallinn is a beautiful city and we enjoyed it both times we've been there. We had perfect weather each time - brilliant blues skies and comfortable temperatures - which always helps.

The first time we were on a land trip many years ago and prices were very, very good. Before we stopped on a cruise in 2002 with family, I had told our daughter what great values we had found in Tallinn earlier, so she saved some major spending for that port.

Oops, Dad's not always right - prices had escalated considerably. But the beauty still remained - and that was free.

I will be there on my cruise with the Voyager July 23rd.

What should I look for to buy..love to shop! Where are the main stores? Is it true the prices are not good anymore?

Archived