Questions about snorkeling in Cozumel and Grand Cayman

We want to snorkel both places.

We don't want to take a cruise ship excursion.

We want a place that we can get to via feet or short (less than 30 minutes) taxi ride.

WE LOVE FISH! Fish are better than coral for us...

We want a place where we can set our gear bags without worry of them disappearing. (like a public type beach...)

Any suggestions?

In Cozumel, I'd take a taxi to either Dzul Ha, or about 200 yards further south the Fiesta Americana. They have a nice man-made sand area held back from the water by a low concrete wall. There is a bar and a restaurant, as well as a Divehouse an on-site dive operation. There are lots of fish around their dock. I wouldn't snorkel near the dock while boats are picking up divers, go a little farther south for some shallow snorkeling.

In Grand Cayman, turn left as you get off the tender and walk a couple of blocks. You will come to Eden Rock which is both at dive/snorkel site and a dive shop. They rent gear and have lockers for your stuff.

I'm sure others will offer suggestions too.

Second on Eden Rocks. LOTS of fish, and lockers to store your stuff.

Haven't been to Dzul Ha, but have heard good things about it. We always go to Chankanaab Park in Cozumel. Short taxi ride, about $6 each way and park entry is $12 pp. There are lockers for rent, but we've never used them and never had a problem with anyone bothering our stuff. There are nice bathhouses for showering and changing, and there are little palapas for getting out of the sun and loungers to sit on. There is a restaurant for food and beverages as well. A very nice park.

Becki

Chankanaab was nice. The water was a bit rough the day we were there and there is no gradually getting in because as soon as you step in you are in chest deep water (I'm 5'10").

You can rent snorkel gear there pretty cheap, I can't remember the price, but there are three or four beachside stands that rent it. We saw a lot of fish and there are some interesting reefs that are probably 25-30 feet below you but the water was exceptionally clear.

About 100 yards or so from the beach is a floating platform that you can swim/snorkel out to and take a quick break. We were within 100 feet of it and a barracuda about two and a half feet long swam right past us. A lot of people (mostly kids) got out and were was docile, no sign of aggression, and was never a threat to anyone/anything and it was amazing to see one so close.

There were TONS of fish....and the park itself is nice too....plenty of beach space....a nice "lagoon" that you couldn't swim in but had plenty of fish you could see swimming as well....and iguana's...BIG one's...sunning out everywhere....

I can't thank you all enough for the tips! I'm keeping a large list of things I find out about each stop. I've hear that Eden's is about the best in Grand Cayman, but I've heard Cheeseburger Reef and the wrecks are interesting, too.

Keep those suggestions coming! THANKS again!

We also went to Chankanaab and loved it. My daughter and I snorkelled, and my son took the intro to scuba class (two students and two instructors) and had a great time. There are several submerged statues and lots of fish including barracudas, which don't bother you - but I 've always heard that you should not wear jewelry or anything shiny when you are in the water with them. We left our stuff under one of the small shelters, and no one bothered it. We spent all morning there and returned to the ship to eat lunch and shower to go into town, and we agreed that next time we will spend all day at the park instead.

In Grand Cayman, we took the Nativeway stingray/snorkel tour and loved it. The ship excursions were very very packed, and we were met at the pier by Nativeway and taken on a great trip with a total of 10 people. After the stingrays, we went to another area and snorkelled for a while. Would go with them again in a heartbeat! Check out their website (nativewaysports or nativewaywatersports.com, I think). Cost is quite a bit less than ship excursion also.

Hola,

We also went to Chankanaab last year. Great Place, but this year we are going to Dzul Ha. It is something different. I've been researching the Caymans, and so far, it is either hitting Eden Rock or possibly some of the local wrecks. There are several near the tender dock. One other option that looked good was the reef, rays and rum point tour from Nativeway. It is 5 hours with FOOD. Check out www.nativewaywatersports.com/shiptours. If I find anything else, I will let you know.

We were in Cozumel for a week last August. We stayed at the El Cid resort. From their beach you can snorkel and see some interesting things including a small airplane sunk on purpose for an old James Bond movie. If you're not their guest there might be a small fee. But it was fun. Also like everyone else mentioned Chankanab is worth spending several hours at. Then there's another beach we were taken to. Can't recall the exact name. But it's on the southwest tip of the island and a landmark light house is near the entrance to this beach area. It's also part of a tortoise hatchery. Have fun.

• 1 year later...
In Cozumel, I'd take a taxi to either Dzul Ha, or about 200 yards further south the Fiesta Americana. They have a nice man-made sand area held back from the water by a low concrete wall. There is a bar and a restaurant, as well as a Divehouse an on-site dive operation. There are lots of fish around their dock. I wouldn't snorkel near the dock while boats are picking up divers, go a little farther south for some shallow snorkeling.

In Grand Cayman, turn left as you get off the tender and walk a couple of blocks. You will come to Eden Rock which is both at dive/snorkel site and a dive shop. They rent gear and have lockers for your stuff.

I'm sure others will offer suggestions too.

Hi bruce,

Can u please let me know about how 2 get 2 the split in belize? can we take a taxi 2 it or do we need 2 hire a water taxi, and how much would u guess the fee would be.

u can e-mail me with any info. @ christman27@bellsouth.net

thanks in advnace 4 your expertise.:D

We want to snorkel both places.

We don't want to take a cruise ship excursion.

We want a place that we can get to via feet or short (less than 30 minutes) taxi ride.

WE LOVE FISH! Fish are better than coral for us...

We want a place where we can set our gear bags without worry of them disappearing. (like a public type beach...)

Any suggestions?

Hi,

Snorkling in cozumel is very easy 2 do on your own.

U can take a taxi drive 4 about 15 minutes and get 2 good snorkling in both playa carona and playa ouva, we saw an octopus in playa ouva.

Both places have good snorklig,resturant/bar services, and playa ouva had great little store last year, it was closed a couple weeks ago when we were ready 2 leave, we wished we had shopped there when we arrived as we went back 2 that beach just 4 the snorkling and that store.

Grand caymen we did the capt bryans stingray city and loved it, but I would listen 2 bruce as he seems very up on all this.

Hope it helps.:D

Archived