Newbie cruiser; some questions.

dter

I'm planning to go on a cruise this year, but as I'm going out of NYC my options are pretty limited. While researching my options, I noticed that I can get an oceanview on a 10-day NCL East Carribean cruise for about $1000 (+tax and such) in October. My question is: is there any real reason to go on a East Carribean cruise in October? I actually like colder weather, but I'm unfamiliar with what the weather is like on the various stops in October. I'd likely be going on the October 9-19 Norwegian Dawn cruise.

My next question deals specifically with NCL. If I were to go on a 7-day NCL Bahamas cruise in July, would I be able to get a decent discount on the October cruise? I don't know what their repeat customer discounts are like. My choices for July are either a 5-day Carnival NE/Canada cruise or the 7-day NCL Bahamas cruise; if the NCL discount for repeat customers is substantial then I'd go with the Bahamas cruise; otherwise, NE/Canada.

My major thought about the Eastern Caribbean in October is . . . Hurricane season. I know that many people have cruised at that time of the year and have not had a problem. Just a thought.

Michelle

dter

There is a reason you have found great prices. This is hurricane season in that region, and you are getting a good price along with the possibility of bad weather. June thru Oct is prime hurricane season.

Can not answer NCL question

Thanks for the info! Sounds like it's a bit of a gamble going on a Carribean cruise in October (though I think I might be willing to risk it for 10 days away from college).

Repeat cruising discounts on NCL are limited to certain cruises. You can check the Latitudes section of their web site for details. I just booked my third cruise on NCL, and no discount for that.

Though one option I have heard of is booking another cruise while on a cruise. I think there are discounts for doing this but I am not sure of the details. Maybe post on NCL's board and someone can help you more.

We loved sailing on the Norwegain Dawn last December. We couldn't believe it when we were in the gulf stream the next day and weather was in the 70's. If it was that warm December 9, then it should be even nicer in October. Usually cruise prices are lowest in the Fall. I wouldn't be as concerned about a hurricane in October as I would be in August - September. Besides, the captain has plenty of time to re-route the ship when you are sailing that far in order to avoid bad weather. On December 18, we were off the coast of Virginia-Maryland out in the gulf stream. I remember at 3pm sitting with my daughter at the Bimini Bar on the upper deck enjoying the lovely 70+ weather. The gulf stream stayed about 73 degrees all the way from the Caribbean to Delaware. It didn't start cooling down until we hit New Jersey. By that time we were having dinner. We were suprised at how many Europeans were sailing out of NY. Everyone enjoyed seeing our Red Sox Shirts. There were lots of New Englanders on the ship, as well as mid western people. NY draws people from all over the world. There were actually California people on our cruise. That surprised me. Most of all I loved getting in my car at 7:30am and getting to the ship at 11:30am. No rush hour to worry about.

The Queen Mary 2 was sailing out of New York at the same time. We kept seeing her at different ports. We are sailing Boston to Bermuda and the Caribbean the last week in October but wish we were back on the Norwegian Dawn because of its many many restaurants: French, Mexican, Italian, Chinese, Japanese, NY Deli, English Pub, Steak House, chidlren's/adult buffets, poolside BBQ upper and lower decks, not to mention the gorgeous Venetian Dining Room and the other 2 American Restaurants "Stars" and "Impressions." My favorite was Impressions.

The food and entertainment was FANTASTIC. The movie theater with popcorn was fun too. It was very hard to go from eating freestyle when and where we wanted to assigned dining again. Can't wait to go back on the Dawn in 2006.

Mary

Plymouth, MA

Yeah, I find the idea of freestyle dining quite interesting; that's one of the key reasons as to why I want to go with NCL. More relaxed dress code is another reason. I'm kind of unsure about the October cruise though, but I'll likely be going on the Bahamas cruise on July 3rd as the Oceanview prices just dropped by $200. I may wait until May (heh heh) for the Carribean cruise. Thanks for the info!

I'm planning to go on a cruise this year, but as I'm going out of NYC my options are pretty limited. While researching my options, I noticed that I can get an oceanview on a 10-day NCL East Carribean cruise for about $1000 (+tax and such) in October. My question is: is there any real reason to go on a East Carribean cruise in October? I actually like colder weather, but I'm unfamiliar with what the weather is like on the various stops in October. I'd likely be going on the October 9-19 Norwegian Dawn cruise.

My next question deals specifically with NCL. If I were to go on a 7-day NCL Bahamas cruise in July, would I be able to get a decent discount on the October cruise? I don't know what their repeat customer discounts are like. My choices for July are either a 5-day Carnival NE/Canada cruise or the 7-day NCL Bahamas cruise; if the NCL discount for repeat customers is substantial then I'd go with the Bahamas cruise; otherwise, NE/Canada.

if i read your post correctly you have to leave from nyc ???

well, instead of hoping to get a ''deal '' from ncl in october from a cruise in july , why not use the money from the july trip for airfare to leave from another port city?? then you could pick a cruise you wanted that would be safer from the hurricane weather and still go on a cruise. how about the mexican riviera or a late alaska cruise instead. if you like the cooler weather, a sept cruise would be wonderful for you. there are several cruise lines too choose from for a wonderful trip up there including seattle. it really is a cruise everyone should do once in their lifetime. i hope you have fun whatever you decide too do :)

Perhaps the op doesn't like to fly or simply doesn't like all the airport hassles.

that is a very good point. i would love to live so close to a port where i did not have to fly to the ship for the cost of the flight and hotel stays:( . that is not an option for me so that did not occur too me :confused:

Archived