NCL Deep Sea Fishing Shorex in St. Lucia

Well, my wife had the catch of her life, a Blue Marlin! (I'm pictured holding the bait, she's holding the marlin.) I caught a buzz off of diesel fumes and motion sickness medicine...very choppy day at sea Out of 4 fishing excursions that day, my wife was the only one who caught a fish. $258/couple + tip. Was it worth it? :D Yep!

Marlin.jpg.5952ffbb4fa228d08025171b26a534f4.jpg

MyCatch.jpg.46cadd9faad158c9cf437e2edd620dd9.jpg

Wow...nice fish (both of ya lol) I have tried to arrange ny own trips in St Thomas on 2 different occasiaons and they have both failed. That is a great price for you and your wife!! Maybe my next crusie will having a fishing excursion...but I dont think my wife would be as up for it as yours. Oh well....she'll just have to shop while I fish!! :D

emcent,

Just give the wife your AMEX card and tell her to go have fun at Diamonds International or Columbian Emeralds, that'll free up PLENTY of time for you to go fishing!

We've only been ocean fishing one other time, and that was in the Gulf of Mexico, near Bradenton, FL. We took a party boat out about 45 minutes from shore and killed the engines, dropped our 1lb. lead weight and shark's fin bait to the bottom. You could feel the sinker hit the bottom, and as soon as you'd begin to slowly real up...SNAG! We've never caught so many fish (they referred to them as "Ruby Lips") in such a short period of time. Now that's my kind of fishing...instant gratification!

We also tried to do a fishing Shorex (not through the ship) in Key West, but we got tied up in Customs for over 2 hours, by that time all of the boats had left out.

Just noticed you were from Kentuky. Guess you do a lot of fresh water fishing there. I hate fresh water (sorry...dont mean to offend) But living in NY I am strictly a salt water guy (besides a large fish in freshwater is probably still smaller than what I use for bait lol). Never heard of Ruby Lips but you havent lived until you hit a night of good bluefish fishing. Pound for pund bluefish are the strongest fighting fish in the ocean. When you hit a good night you can be bailing 20 pounders all night. It's just nonstop action. If ya ever come east let me know and be prepared for sore arms.

Thanks for the invite. Most of my family lives in NYC, or Florida (go figure). Several years ago my wife and I were landing in Islip, and my wife asks, "What are all of the white things floating in the water?” as we were circling and preparing to land. I stared out the window intently, and my reply was "It must be trash.” not realizing just how far up in the air we still were. As we began to touchdown, the "white things" came into focus, and it was THOUSANDS of ocean boats! I'd never seen so many boats in the water at one time, anywhere! I told the family member that picked us up at the airport what we had discovered, and he said that NY has one of the highest percentages of boats anywhere in the U.S. I don't know if that's true, but one could certainly believe it that day looking down from an airplane.

By the way, we're not big freshwater fishers either. As a matter of fact, the only time we seem to go out of our way to go fishing is in the ocean. I just think ocean fish are much "cleaner" for lack of better terminology. Our KY family is big on bass and cat fishing, but getting bit up by mosquitoes and using bait that smells like a neglected port-a-potty isn't my cup-o-tea.

Just went out the other night and got myself a 20# blue as well as some smaller ones. My friend landed a 25# striper. Gotta love striper season.....although its getting warm now and they wont be around much longer....gonna have to wait untill the fall for more bass. Any luck finding your info? Have you fished in any of the other islands?

Congratulations, sounds like you've had some good luck. Some of the best tasting fish I've ever had was Striped Bass (18#) smoked with apple wood. You could eat it cold or hot, and it was addictively tasty. Caught it in Beaver Lake in NW Arkansas, known for awesome in-land bass fishing.

I haven't had any luck finding out about the Shorex in St. Lucia, probably just going to email NCL and ask them. Just thought I'd give the CC folks an opportunity to show their knowledge. I've never fished on any of the other islands, usually we're focused on finding a beach, good snorkeling, and R&R. It doesn't seem that most cruise ship's shorex's focus on fishing. I assume that if we ever did wish to go fishing again, we'd have to book a non-ship tour ourselves. How about yourself?

We have tried twice to charter a boat in St Thomas, both times with no luck. First time the capt forgot about us because he had a problem in St croix or something like that.....he said if we ever come back to St Thomas he would take care of us. The next time we were in St Thomas my fishing buddies werent with me and I didnt feel like spending the $300 dollars myself (was supposed to be 450 but he knocked off 150 for our previous problem). We are going to the carib for thanksgiving on a familly cruise but no one else in my familly really fishes so unless there is a ship shorex I doubt i'll go but in Aug of next year a bunch of us are going on the new Freedom of the Seas 2 other guys are my regular fishing buddies so we will probably charter our own boat then.....if your interested let me know!!!

Archived