Rum Point Drift Snorkel

Lost_in_BC

We are stopping in Grand Cayman next November and we're hoping to visit Rum Point. In my research I came across this awesome site by Testudo on different snorkeling routes in the area.

http://snorkelblog.tumblr.com/post/2751611423/rum-point-shore-drift-route

I'm almost sold on this as our snorkeling adventure in GC, but I have a couple questions

1. Have any Cruise Critic member's have tried the drift route at Rum Point? And if so, what did you think?

2. How long did the drift route take?

3. I know its shallow, but is a flotation device still recommended? If so what type did you use? Noodle/board/vest?

Thanks!

Laura.

We are stopping in Grand Cayman next November and we're hoping to visit Rum Point. In my research I came across this awesome site by Testudo on different snorkeling routes in the area.

http://snorkelblog.tumblr.com/post/2751611423/rum-point-shore-drift-route

I'm almost sold on this as our snorkeling adventure in GC, but I have a couple questions

1. Have any Cruise Critic member's have tried the drift route at Rum Point? And if so, what did you think?

2. How long did the drift route take?

3. I know its shallow, but is a flotation device still recommended? If so what type did you use? Noodle/board/vest?

Thanks!

Laura.

Rented car and drove to Rum Point in March of 2011. It was too windy that day to snorkel out that far without a flotation device. We still loved our day and will likely go back on another visit. Since, we have purchased our own snorkel vests and now if it is a bit rough or windy I would still head out.

Rum Point is beautiful and I would recommend it even if you are not going for snorkeling. The drive was easy (even on the wrong side) and the pick up from Avis went well. Only sad part was that there was no rum for me as the driver....:rolleyes:

Ha! That's exactly why I don't want to drive, lol! Thanks for the tips. If we were going out to the reef I'd have to have a flotation device simply because I'd be out of my comfort zone. However the drift route is supposed to run parallel to the beach.

The link mentions that we'd have to walk down the shore line past Rum Point to just in front of the Sea Lodges condo's and enter there. Or we could enter from Cayman Kai public beach. From there we'd snorkel along the ridge system shown in the picture, guided by the drift, and ending at Rum Point. It seems like a simple but good route, and the pictures on his site are fabulous. I'm just concerned about our time. Hopefully we'll be part of a tour that day, which I'm trying to arrange. I want to guestimate how much time we'll need at Rum Point so I can set up the tour accordingly. With the walk down the beach + the snorkel, I really haven't a clue.

Thanks for the help. :D

The route does go parallel to the shore but depending on the strength and direction of the wind it can still be a bit rough. We snorkeled instead at the end of the pier and off to the right of the pier (when looking toward water) where it was calmer. Although we weren't at the reef, there were still lots of interesting fish to see.

Because we had rented a car and it was our only plan for the day, we spent about 4 hours there. I could have stayed longer as it was so relaxing and beautiful. Lounge chairs were free, the others each had one beer, I had a bottle of water and they shared an order of conch fritters just to try them. The total with gas and insurance for car rental was $60.00 . All together this made for a very inexpensive day for 4 people.

We had planned to have a few drinks in town once we returned the car but when we got there it was drizzling so we went back to the ship. Interestingly, we found out once back on board that it had rained on an off all day both in Georgetown and 7 mile beach while we had a perfect day.

I would think the least amount of time you would want there would be 2 hours, one for snorkeling and one to just hang out.

Thanks MonicaJay! Trip reports I've read mention a Barracuda who lives under the pier. Wild! Glad to hear there are some fish that hang out around the beach too, especially if the water is rough on the day we arrive.

I've been day dreaming of Rum Point. The pictures look so beautiful! It's helping me get through these cold days of winter. Brrrrrr.

Archived