Do Cell Phones work (Cingular)?

Mollyb1

Do cell phones work (Cingular) in the inner passage or Seward area? Someone told me that they had service in Juneau, but not other area's.

My G/F has Cingular service (Nationwide) and her cell phone worked when we are the curise but mainly in ports (Ketchikan, Juneau, Skagway & Wrangell). We where on the Sun and were told we could buy airtime (?) so the cell phone would have service thru a Marine Mobile service on the ship when not in port. Hope this makes sense :)

• 1 month later...

we just returned from alaska 7/10 and were nicely surprised when we had cingular service practially everywhere we were. Several times we even had it in our one inside cabin...the other cabin with the balcony we had it all the time...except maybe glacier bay...in vicortia it changed from cingular to "rogers" while we were in town, but once we were back on the ship it went back to cingular.

In reference to my original questions, I have since went on the cruise and am happy to report I had service in all of the major cities except Haines. Once we sail back toward Juneau, I was again able to pick service up again. When in port at Prince Rupert it was Rogers I think, but back out to sea we picked up Cingular. As long as I was close to the window or up on deck, we have clear service.

I received my bill yesterday and did not have any additional charges. I know that sometimes it takes a couple of months for those charges to show up, but at this time I really don't expect any.

Just a btw on cell phones, in this case Verizon, here's what they said:

Thank you for contacting Verizon Wireless through our website.

I appreciate your interest in using your wireless phone while on a cruise and am happy to assist you.

Signal may or may not be able to reach you on a cruise ship. This is because towers are located on land and can only reach so far. Regretfully, we cannot guarantee service while traveling. If your ports of call are located in the United States, more than likely your phone will work. However, once you leave the United States, you may be charged roaming or your phone may not work at all. Again, this is based on signal as well as traveling through areas that are not serviced by Verizon Wireless.

We appreciate your business. Thank you for using Verizon Wireless products and services.

Archived