Port Everglades Taxi??

duchess6219

Hi everyone,

How easy or difficult is it to get a taxi from Port Everglades on disembarkation? We have always had Princess transfers but this year will be staying at a non Princess hotel. Should we arrange for a car ahead of time? I don't really want to pre-arrange in case we are late off the ship.

All replies and advice will be most welcome.

Thanks in advance!!

Happy cruising.

Joyce

Hi everyone,

How easy or difficult is it to get a taxi from Port Everglades on disembarkation? We have always had Princess transfers but this year will be staying at a non Princess hotel. Should we arrange for a car ahead of time? I don't really want to pre-arrange in case we are late off the ship.

Thanks in advance!!

Happy cruising.

Joyce

We have never had a problem getting a taxi. They usually have a line you stand in and they are lined up.

I'll add one caveat to that. Generally, yeah, it's pretty easy, but last weekend I spent 45 minutes in line waiting for a cab. 8 ships in port, and we were down at pier 21, with a bunch of ships in that area. Two lines, one from Emerald Princess, and one from Celebrity Silhouette were feeding one cab area, and we'd only get about 8-9 cabs in a surge, then a while would go by before we got another surge.

Hi everyone,

Thanks in advance!!

Happy cruising.

Joyce

It depends on the berth and the day.

Berth 2 -- usually no problem.

Last sunday at Berth 21, there were over 100 people

waiting in the cab line.

Berth 29? Use the 'cancel for any reason' insurance.

An alternative that I've done twice to kill time until check in time at the hotel is to take a ship's "tour" at Fort Lauderdale, then either catch a cab at the airport or stay on the bus for the ride back to the cruise dock.

I enjoyed the Intracoastal Water Way the most. The Everglades trip is okay, but it's a long bus ride to/from.

http://www.princess.com/find/cruiseDetails.page?voyageCode=E311&itinCode=CEV107&tourCode=&trade=C&date=0413%2C0214&noOfPax=2&resType=C&ship=EP&bID=PCDIR&meta=I&ppax=false&itinPort=&tourIds=&duration=&tourdur=&orderBy=&filterBy=&order=

It can be aggravating waiting on cabs at Port Everglades, but as most folks have indicated, it's not that bad. I think we've waiting about 20 minutes or so the last few years. We're on Dolphin or Emerald, so are disembarking later. As mentioned, Saturdays and Sundays are tougher.

The cabbies will be happy to go to a hotel - especially over by the beach, as opposed to the airport.

Smart move to go independent on the hotel. Princess charges double the rack rate!:eek:

We've gotten taxis easily in the past when disembarking in FLL.

HOWEVER on Dec. 1st we disembarked the Coral at 9:30 a.m. and it took 1 1/2 hrs to get through the long line for US Customs and an hour in line for a taxi. We left the ship at 9:30 and didn't step into a taxi until 12:10. There was a lot of construction at the port so don't know if that contributed to the delay of the taxis. I also believe that those who got off early had no long delays.

I would say that 98% of the time you'll disembark quickly and have no longer than a 10-15 minute wait for a taxi. But you never know when that 2% will come into play. According to Murphy's law, it probably will happen when you have a tight schedule.

We really appreciate all of the responses. A few minutes waiting for a taxi will not dampen our excitement. We so appreciate being fortunate enough to travel and enjoy the warm weather. So looking forward to our next adventure. Safe travels all!!!

J&J

We really appreciate all of the responses. A few minutes waiting for a taxi will not dampen our excitement. We so appreciate being fortunate enough to travel and enjoy the warm weather. So looking forward to our next adventure. Safe travels all!!!

J&J

Good attitude... be happy, and most of all - be safe.

Whether this is the norm or not, I don't know... But every time we have used a porter, they have bypassed the line up for taxis and took us to the 'head of the line'. :) Same thing in MIA.

Definitely was not happening at pier 21 last Sunday. The porters were taking the luggage up near the loading spot for the taxis, but they were also telling the groups that they had to have someone stand in line. Quite frankly, it probably wouldn't have been pretty if they were letting the porters cut that line.

Definitely was not happening at pier 21 last Sunday. The porters were taking the luggage up near the loading spot for the taxis, but they were also telling the groups that they had to have someone stand in line. Quite frankly, it probably wouldn't have been pretty if they were letting the porters cut that line.

Not sure why anyone should complain... I wouldn't. I find it akin to purchasing priority boarding on an airline - it's just not as obvious on an airline who has done it.

Not sure why anyone should complain... I wouldn't. I find it akin to purchasing priority boarding on an airline - it's just not as obvious on an airline who has done it.

Personally I disagree. If the line for a taxi is 45 minutes to an hour long, I don't feel it's reasonable to get to jump it just because you hire a porter. And believe me, the way that line was getting as time was passing, with very few taxis coming, I really think things would have deteriorated rapidly if they were permitted to do it.

Archived