Cheap Hotel Tampa

Mink25

Hello. I'm taking a cruise out of Tampa in a few months and need a hotel for the night before. Don't want to spend much (preferably under $100) and want to be near the port/airport or have transportation provided. It would be a plus to be near an area to get dinner and see Tampa the day before too (people have told me place to go is Ybor City but I don't know if that's true).

Any help would be much obliged!

Thank you!

Ybor hotels you will have to take a taxi, they are too far from the airport to provide a shuttle. There is a decent Hampton in Ybor.

Downtown hotels near the port will be more expensive. Here is a list of them. www.downtowntampahotels.com

The Westshore area and Airport area may provide some good deals that include an airport shuttle and a port shuttle but most do not have a shuttle back from the port to the airport. Try the Ramada Westshore,

they seem to have decent rates. http://www.ramadawestshore.com/

For your price range, also try the LaQuinta Tampa airport. They have an airport shuttle, free breakfast and an IHOP adjacent to the parking lot. They have decent rates and are across from the Mall and many restaurants. http://www.lq.com/lq/properties/propertyProfile.do?ident=LQ597&propId=597

Also try the Chase Suites Rocky Point, they have a cruise pkg that includes a round trip shuttle. The Holiday Inn RP and Hampton Inn RPhttp://www.hamptoninntamparockypoint.com/specials.php also have a good cruise pkgs. I would go with the one that offers the best rate. The extra spent for the cruise pkg, will more than make up for what you may have to pay in taxi fares. I did a price check using a fri-sat in mid April and a Studio Suite was $89 per night and the cruise pkg was $144. That's not a bad deal considering you get all of your transportation needs included--- airport shuttle, shuttle to the port and then back to the airport after the cruise. They also have a Mgr's reception during the week and free hot breakfast on all mornings. If you choose to do the room rate only, add apx $25 taxi fare to the port and then $25 from the port back to the airport.

Good luck.

****** Just a note, do NOT stay at the Howard Johnson Stadium, it has great deals but is next to a Strip club and is a hot-mess. JMO, but I would avoid any Stadium area hotels, some nice hotels mixed in

with some seedy ones.

Is there anything to do/place to go near the Hampton Inn or Holiday Inn? Don't want to stay there because it could be cheaper and then spend $25+ in taxis to go to a cool/fun area that night.

I want to minimize cost overall and still be able to do something that night before the cruise.

To add to the post above:

Taxi fare from Westshore and Tampa airport area hotels to the port will run around $25, so if you can get a decent room only rate, it would pay to just take a taxi there and back.

Sometimes though, a few of the hotels have a cruise pkg that includes your transportation and when you add the $50 in taxi fare it can come out to about the same or pretty darn close.

Not a deal breaker, but some of the hotels offer a free breakfast and others do not. This can save a few bucks if you are a breakfast eater or big coffee drinker.

If I were working with your budget, I would first check out the LaQuinta Tampa Airport location for rates (room only) and then add in the taxi fare.

They used to have a small for fee port shuttle but not sure if they still do, so you may want to check on that.

My second option would either be the Ramada Westshore. They may have a cruise pkg so check into that as well as the room only rate.

Chase Suites would be my third option only because you said you wanted to be near shopping and such and this hotel is on the water with a great view but no shopping nearby although the hotel does have a small gift shop that sells certain items.

good luck to you, I hope you can fit your stay into your budget.

:):)

Is there anything to do/place to go near the Hampton Inn or Holiday Inn? Don't want to stay there because it could be cheaper and then spend $25+ in taxis to go to a cool/fun area that night.

I want to minimize cost overall and still be able to do something that night before the cruise.

No, just the Bahama Breeze restaurant and bar. It is kind of a corporate area.

Try the LaQuinta or Ramada Westshore. The LaQuinta is directly across from the International Mall. There are several restaurants within and some have evening entertainment. The Ramada has a new bar/lounge/restaurant area that they just added recently and is also near shopping and such.

They are both decent, clean hotels in a decent area near the airport. It would be about a 15 min taxi or shuttle ride to the port.

Also, there is a Howard Johnson Plaza in downtown Tampa that seems to have pretty good rates. They do not have an airport shuttle but do have a shuttle to the port AND they are on the Trolley line that will take you to Ybor if you want to visit that evening. That may be a decent option that may cover your needs as well. http://www.tampahjp.com/ Since you mentioned wanting to visit Ybor City, trolley stop is right at the hotel so that will take you right to Ybor or the Channelside Entertainment Complex & Aquarium and then back. The Howard Johnson Plaza is one of the more resonalby priced hotels for the downtown area.

Hello. I'm taking a cruise out of Tampa in a few months and need a hotel for the night before. Don't want to spend much (preferably under $100) and want to be near the port/airport or have transportation provided. It would be a plus to be near an area to get dinner and see Tampa the day before too (people have told me place to go is Ybor City but I don't know if that's true).

Any help would be much obliged!

Thank you!

Fell in love with Ybor city on our cruise out of Tampa. stayed at Hampton Inn, Ybor City (about $120 on priceline), provides shuttle (no charge) to ship (5 minutes away). Ybor city has tons of night life, bars, restaurants, cafes, etc in a 3 block area. If you like cigars... big cuban population. Don't miss, time permitting, Tampa Bay Brewery (great food & drinks) & Columbia (flamenco dinner & show). Went with whole family, ages 2 to 82, and everyone loved it. Had greek food one night, with folk dancing!

Archived