Tequila factory

terryde

May 25 we were going to visit the tequila factory - is on the north side cross-island road. It is now $10 admission, including two drinks (alcoholic or not) for the tour, so we didn't go in.

We stopped there too. The guy at the gate tried to get us to go on the tour and I told him all we wanted to do was buy a bottle of tequilla. He gave me a necklace that had a tiny cup on it and walked us up to the shop where he gave us a free mini tour about the blue agave plants. Once inside the shop he took us around to each bottle of tequilla and filled up my tiny cup (DH doesnt drink so it was me to have to test them all! it was hard to do but someone had to hehe) and by the time we were done I was buzzed. Key -- eat before going to the tequillaria! Anyway I got my MarMix tequilla in a hand made bottle and had a great time. Rent a jeep! That is the best advice I can give about Cozumel.

Karen

• 7 years later...

My group of 9 went with Gerry and Tour Plaza 2 weeks ago.

The cost for us was $10 each and we each had a delicious orange flavored margarita in a beautiful glass, sitting at the restaurant table. We also ordered "snacks", delicious guacamole, nachos, etc. so maybe that's why we all got the nice glass. I think there may have been one or two with plastic "go cups" for the tour as we did order more. Our tour guide was "Paco" or "Pancho", he said to call him either, and the tour was delightful. There were stacks of small plastic cups after the tour and we all sampled anything we wanted. Now, our group wasn't on a "party til you puke" tour so if that's your focus, this tour may not be for you! :p

We all really enjoyed our visit, Paco was most gracious and entertaining and we learned a whole lot about tequila! I bought some almond flavored and a Reposado to take home. When I got home, I had my husband do a "blind taste test" and he was very much surprised that he picked the Tequila factory tequila over our long time favorite!

Paco said that next time we visit, we don't have to pay for the tour but can go on through to the store to sample and consider purchase.

There was no pressure and everyone there was very gracious. I'd love to go back!

Archived