Snorkel Advice Needed

js10

Greetings--I will be taking a cruise shortly that includes the following ports: St. Thomas, Antigua, and Tortola. I have been spoiled by previous snorkeling experiences in Cozumel and the Grenadines where the fish were numbered in the thousands. I have also been disappointed by snorkeling excursions sponsored by the cruise lines where fish were almost nonexistent--a trip to St. John's and the "famous snorkeling trail" comes to mind!

I am traveling with a first time snorkeler and I do not want her to be disappointed. Are there any destinations on either of the above islands that you would recommend. I am not concerned about taking a cab and doing the trip on our own although I will need to rent equipment.

Thanks in advance,

John

In Antigua, the better diving/snorkeling is in the south of the island, requiring 1/2 hr trip.

In St. Thomas, Coki Beach is 20-25min away. It's pretty good for snorkeling/diving or just playing in the beach/water.

Instead of renting gears, you can considering buying a set from Costco. It's pretty good quality and inexpensive.

Greetings--I will be taking a cruise shortly that includes the following ports: St. Thomas, Antigua, and Tortola. I have been spoiled by previous snorkeling experiences in Cozumel and the Grenadines where the fish were numbered in the thousands. I have also been disappointed by snorkeling excursions sponsored by the cruise lines where fish were almost nonexistent--a trip to St. John's and the "famous snorkeling trail" comes to mind!

I am traveling with a first time snorkeler and I do not want her to be disappointed. Are there any destinations on either of the above islands that you would recommend. I am not concerned about taking a cab and doing the trip on our own although I will need to rent equipment.

Thanks in advance,

John

Antigua: Eli's Eco Tour is the gold standard for snorkeling the Caribbean:

http://www.adventureantigua.com/the-eco-tour/

St Thomas: Rumbaba is a first rate operator:

http://www.rumbabacharters.com/

They both provide good quality snorkel gear.

js10-I highly reccomend Secret Harbor in St. Thomas. It's a inexpensive 20-30 minute cab ride to a beautiful palm tree lined bay. The location would be perfect for a first time snorkeler, as it's very calm. The fish variety & quantity are very good. Last time there we were lucky enough to see and touch a small octopus. I wouldn't say there were thousands of fishes but a very good quantity.

You can google Secret Harbor for pics & there's many videos on youtube, some I've posted myself

Also,you might should consider purchasing an inexpensive set from snorkelmart.com we are using gear we have had for some 10+ years.

Great quality & customer service!

Have a great time

• 2 weeks later...

In Tortola there are some excursions that go to some of the other nearby BVI islands for snorkeling. Haven't done them but was hoping to if we ever take another cruise which stops at Tortola. Look for ones going to Norman Island and includes other stops as well.

I'll second the Rumababa day sail for a wonderful snorkeling experience in St. Thomas!!!! It is a fantastic day with one of the best lunches I've had on an excursion anywhere - let alone on a day sail! Captain Chad took the operation over a couple years ago and it was as good as ever when we sailed with him last year - our third trip on Rumbaba. If they are booked then ask them to recommend another day sail operator or look for reviews in the St. Thomas forum as there are several similar day sail operators who get equally good reviews (except for the food).

In St. Kitts we've done day sails on a Catamaran, through the ship, which stop for snorkeling at ****ten bay (yes that's the real name) which is fairly good snorkeling and then head to Nevis for lunch and turn into a bit of a party boat on the return sail back to the ship. It's always been a great day.

In Antigua we took an excursion through Creole Cruises that included a lobster lunch on a beach after snorkeling at the same spot that Eli's Echo tour (mentioned in posts above) goes to and had a fantastic day as well.

• 2 weeks later...
js10-I highly reccomend Secret Harbor in St. Thomas. It's a inexpensive 20-30 minute cab ride to a beautiful palm tree lined bay. The location would be perfect for a first time snorkeler, as it's very calm. The fish variety & quantity are very good. Last time there we were lucky enough to see and touch a small octopus. I wouldn't say there were thousands of fishes but a very good quantity.

You can google Secret Harbor for pics & there's many videos on youtube, some I've posted myself

Also,you might should consider purchasing an inexpensive set from snorkelmart.com we are using gear we have had for some 10+ years.

Great quality & customer service!

Have a great time

Can you give me an idea of the cab fare from Crown Bay to Secret Harbor? I've been reading about that and am intriged by it! As far as the beach itself, was it nice and was there a restaurant/bar to get some drinks? How bout beach chairs?

Archived