Aft cabins deck 7 or 8?

der93711

We have to make a decision between aft cabins 8185 or 7206 on the Mille. Are there any pros or cons with either cabin...ie noise, size, vibrations, shading etc. Please any info on these cabins would help :confused:

Thank you

Der

Since the decks slope outward, the lower the deck, the bigger the balcony; i.e., Vista (Deck 7) aft balconies are larger than Deck 8, which is larger than Deck 9, etc., etc. Also, I've heard mention that Deck 9 gets some noise from the outdoor cafe chairs scraping directly above.

I myself have 7206 booked, allowing me the biggest square footage for a CC aft, not to mention the best view of those spectacular penthouse balconies just below on Deck 6!!:)

this board is the best. I get ALL my cruising info here. Thank you all for the quick response...

Are you saying that these aft cabins are also larger inside? :confused:

Thanks,

Der

:) We had a 9th level CC cabin on Connieand the balcony was very big and the cabin terrific. We did hear thhe scraping of chairs above us mostly during breakfast on our balcony. It was worth the trade off.

Now I am getting more confused with this decission. 6144 is also available right now. I know all about the locations comparing the aft cabins and size of the balcony, but if you were interested in a bigger room would the 6144 be better? I think the balconies in either aft cabin or 6144 would be fine, but is there a difference in room size?

Thank you wonderful people.

Der

6144 is a great CC cabin - I believe you will get some more room (perhaps an extra 20 sq. ft.), only because it is adjacent to the penthouse, with its matching decor. This may appeal to you more than a big balcony . . . do a search in this forum or the cabin selection tips forum, using "6144" - you may hit some previous threads that specifically discuss this cabin.

The HUGE attraction about an aft cabin is also happens to be its location . . . facing the wake of the ship. Many cruisers find this a spectacular place to be - myself included. Very soothing noise, wonderful for sleeping, snoozing, reading ... you get the picture. I also believe the aft balconies are much bigger than the one featured in 6144. Being that I like to spend a lot of time on the balcony rather than the room, I will take an aft, wake-facing balcony over a side balcony any day of the week.:) The ultimate decision is yours to make. Happy cruising!

Since the decks slope outward, the lower the deck, the bigger the balcony; i.e., Vista (Deck 7) aft balconies are larger than Deck 8, which is larger than Deck 9, etc., etc.
That the verandas get larger as you get lower is a common misconception based upon some pictures that don't give enough sense of perspective. They're all the same size. There are 8 cabins between the aft elevators and the aft cabins on Deck 9, 9 cabins between the aft elevators and the aft cabins on Deck 8, and 10 cabins between the aft elevators and the aft cabins on Deck 7. In short, that "slope" outward isn't caused by longer balconies for the aft CC cabins (we've been aft on all 3 decks at one time or another), it's caused by additional cabins along the sides of the ship as you move downward in decks.

Also, I've heard mention that Deck 9 gets some noise from the outdoor cafe chairs scraping directly above.
That is true. This tends to be noticed around midnight as they're straightening up on 10 Aft for the next morning, or around breakfast time when we're already up. However, it's not especially loud, and might only bother a light sleeper. On Deck 9, we've been in 9160 (CC) and 9197 and 9199 (FV), and haven't really been bothered by it. I'd book either cabin again in a heartbeat.

I myself have 7206 booked, allowing me the biggest square footage for a CC aft, not to mention the best view of those spectacular penthouse balconies just below on Deck 6!!:)
Actually, 7212 is larger (wider) by about 3 feet (not shown on the deck plans -- also true for 8176 and 9164 ), but it's equipped for handicapped travellers. I've seen non-HC people snag them at the last minute, though, if not already reserved by someone that needs one. Take a peek into one if you board early on your next cruise.

We have to make a decision between aft cabins 8185 or 7206 on the Mille. Are there any pros or cons with either cabin...ie noise, size, vibrations, shading etc. Please any info on these cabins would help :confused:

Thank you

Der

Both are excellent choices, although we like to be up as high as possible, so in lieu of anything on Deck 9, we'd take 8185. Find some photos at the link in the signature line. I think that these sets were taken in Infinity 9199 (FV) and Constellation 8170 (aft CC).

That the verandas get larger as you get lower is a common misconception based upon some pictures that don't give enough sense of perspective. They're all the same size. --

I believe this perspective shows that the balconies get deeper as you go down the decks. Look at the dividers on deck 9--2 1/2 dividers. Deck 8 also has 2 1/2 dividers, but they are wider. When you look at deck 7 you can clearly see that there are 3 1/2 dividers between the balconies! They say a picture is worth a thousand words :D

P1110061.JPG

We were one of those non-disabled who were able to get 8176 just before sailing a few years ago on Millennium. It is definitely wider with a huge balcony and quite a large bathroom. For me, though, the roll in shower was not something that I liked. No matter what I did, I somehow managed to flood the entire bathroom every time I showered. And it really was me--my husband was much neater! :o So, while I'd take the cabin again in a heartbeat (love those aft cabins!) I prefer the non wheel chair accessible aft cabins with a bit less square footage but a dry bathroom. ;)

One thing I've heard, too, that makes a lot of sense--if you're not disabled but book a wheel chair accessible cabin and someone who is disabled later requests it, you can (and should) be bumped.

Der

Since the wife and I are committed to aft cabins on the M-class ship and all other lines with aft cabins we might give you our 2cent worth. We love cabin 9201 and have booked it three times. I guess to each there own but we love this cabin and have found it to meet our every need. If you looking for more cabin space and want the large veranda than if at all possible try booking one of the FV. They go fast. We also had a CC on deck 7 and enjoyed it, but cabin 9201 is our 1st choice. We love being high above everyone and able to view the world (180 degrees). Noise-maybe some in the late morning as they arrange tables, but we’re usually up and it’s no problem. So if it were my choice I’d stay with the aft CC.

Please check out the cabin location as some might have obstructed views. We found this out when they wanted to upgrade us to a suite at the pier. We changed our mind because the view below us was obstructed by the lifeboats.

Whatever you choice is, have a great cruise.

Dave & Elaine

Dave and Elaine, I'm glad to hear you love 9201 as we have booked that cabin and 9160 on the Connie for June 17th, 2006. We had a lower aft cabin when we were on the Infinity and got spoiled fast with the large balcony and great view. I've been a bit concerned about being on deck 9 because I am a light sleeper, but it sounds like I'll be okay if there's only noise a little bit around midnight and early morning.

I believe this perspective shows that the balconies get deeper as you go down the decks. Look at the dividers on deck 9--2 1/2 dividers. Deck 8 also has 2 1/2 dividers, but they are wider. When you look at deck 7 you can clearly see that there are 3 1/2 dividers between the balconies! They say a picture is worth a thousand words :D

Guess I really can't speak for CC on 7 as we've only been in a corner FV there - would have blocked the view across from the other FV. But we've spent lots of time in CC on 8 and 9, and any difference there would have to be miniscule if any.

There really are all of those extra cabins noted in the prior post that push out each successive deck from 9 to 7 that should account for the difference. If you look at the amount of "extension" from those, it adds up.

On Deck 9, there are 11 standard width cabins (3 Cat2 and 8 CC) aft of the elevators before you reach the FV cabins.

On Deck 8, there are 12 standard width cabins (4 Cat2 and 8 CC) aft of the elevators before you reach the FV cabins. Therefore, Deck 8 should stick out at least the width of 1 cabin no matter what.

On Deck 7, there are 13 standard width cabins (3 Cat2 and 10 CC) aft of the elevators before you reach the FV cabins. Therefore, Deck 7 should stick out at least another cabin's width more than Deck 8. The forward doors of the CC cabins actually do start the width of one cabin further forward than the that of the CC cabins below. So each "veranda" starts a whole cabin further out than the one above it.

But this is where it gets strange:

Here (I hope) is a very interesting and even more confusing side view that shows that the FV veranda is actually a bit shorter on Deck 9 vs. Decks 8 and 7 which are identical -- and yet they end in a perfectly staggered row. That doesn't appear on the photo you provided, and yet the FV and CC cabins share the same aft bulkhead across their respective decks. What kind of optical illusion is this??? If anything, it would appear from one photo that 8 & 9 are the same, but from the other, that 7 & 8 are the same. Go figure. I wonder if there are some minor variations between the M-Class ships in this regard. The photo below is of the Infinity. What was the one above?

234458338_sideview.jpg.6e2f4d54c180d2028c7e3f7ca75d963a.jpg

One thing I've heard, too, that makes a lot of sense--if you're not disabled but book a wheel chair accessible cabin and someone who is disabled later requests it, you can (and should) be bumped.

And there's no guarantee that you'll get bumped to another aft, either -- could be any CC on the ship!

When you booked yours late, was it with the proviso that even though it was being let go late due to lack of need by someone with a HC issue, that they could still bump you at the very last minute?

to get a handicapped cabin.

And there's no guarantee that you'll get bumped to another aft, either -- could be any CC on the ship!

When you booked yours late, was it with the proviso that even though it was being let go late due to lack of need by someone with a HC issue, that they could still bump you at the very last minute?

As ours was booked very late, after they were released, we didn't need a doctor's form. This was in 2003, so maybe that has changed. The cabin wasn't a CC cabin then, either, so they could have moved us to any other balcony if the accessible cabin was needed. My TA never said they could bump us--as this is a sensitive issue for me I told her we'd happily be bumped if needed.

It did totally spoil us, though, with regard to aft cabins. We'd already booked stellar cabin 6144 (also before it became a CC) for a 2004 trip and ended up switching to an FV so we could get the aft. :o And for this summer's trip, the deciding factor in when to go was that we were able to get an aft cabin on deck 7. :rolleyes:

Archived