French Quarter restaurant advice....

novalab

• 2 weeks later...

Ok, as someone who has been to new orleans more times than I can count, let me just say:

1) Avoid the Gumbo shop, the place is crowded, overpriced, and the gumbo is not good at all.

2)Acme is good but crowded, Felix is good but not as crowded, but its not as famous as Acme

3)Court of two sisters is expensive and the food is meh, I would call it cruise ship food, but again, its famous.

4)The Napoleon house has the best hot muffaletta in the french quarter, awsome classic cocktails, and feels high end and nice, but the prices are right

4)Breakfast, yes you have to go to cafe du monde, but if you want something more filling, there is no where better than the clover grill. Its a funky little place, but the food is good. Recomend the chili cheese burger to fix up a hung over morning

4) Mulate's. Zydco music, great food, reasonable prices, right near where you will be. Think its up your ally

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
Ok, as someone who has been to new orleans more times than I can count, let me just say:

1) Avoid the Gumbo shop, the place is crowded, overpriced, and the gumbo is not good at all.

I had a similar experience at the gumbo shop. The waiter was bad, and the food was something that someone tries to pass off as New Orleans food in a city far from New Orleans. I can make better gumbo from a Zatarains box. Then when the waiter ran our card and saw that we left no tip on the card(we were going to tip in cash) we heard him tell the bartender that we "stiffed" him before we were even done eating. Notice that I said we WERE going to tip him.

I don't like bad service anywhere and especially in a city I visit about once a year that is known for it's hospitality.

We have been obsessed with Ralph & Kacoo's lately. Their Oysters Rockefeller is to die for (and I don't even eat seafood!) and my boyfriend always wants to go there to get the alligator. Last time I had a steak and it was the best steak I have had in my life, which was surprising because I think they are known best for their seafood.

Please try Star Steak and Lobster on Decatur (next to the House of Blues). Fabulous BBQ shrimp. Steak in amazing too!! I have referred several people to this restaurant and they have raved to me of how glad they are to have gone there!!! They put coupons on Groupon all the time for half off, too!!!!

The other place I recommend to folks who have never been there before, especially after overdoing it on Bourbon street is camellia grill. It's been in New Orleans for a long time and they have a great atmosphere. Don't expect 5 star dining but it is a great place for anything short order.

• 2 weeks later...

We were there 2-months ago on our American Queen River Boat Cruise. We stayed 3-nights precruise.. We tried the Grilled Oysters at Drago's in the Hilton-Riverside (a very popular place). It is near Harrahs. We loved them so much, we went there again. Served with bread to dip in the garlic butter sauce they are served with. Tried the clam chowder too (also very good).

Have fun.

• 2 weeks later...
The other place I recommend to folks who have never been there before, especially after overdoing it on Bourbon street is camellia grill. It's been in New Orleans for a long time and they have a great atmosphere. Don't expect 5 star dining but it is a great place for anything short order.

I second this. We just came back from NOLA 2 weeks ago. We ate at the Camellia Grill for breakfast as it was a short walk from our hotel. We got there early so there was no wait for a seat at the counter. Service was very good as was the food. By the time we were finished, there was a line out the door of people waiting to grab a seat. Classic diner.

We also loved Deanies (come hungry!) and New Orleans Hamburger & Seafood Co. (Decatur Street) Their garlic butter fries are to die for! I loved their hamburgers & DH LOVED their thin sliced fried catfish dinner. We ate there twice:p

Of course Cafe Du Monde was good as usual. We went early before the rush which usually started around 9:00 AM.....be prepared for a line if you're not an early bird.

Archived