Size/Weight requirements for carry on

jenn-

If we carry on a big rolling duffel bag, does the 50lb weight requirement still go into effect or does that only apply to checked bags? My DH wants to bring his scuba gear and all the drinks we carry on in one big bag instead of 2 smaller bags, but then it goes over the 50lb mark by a bit (okay, by a big bit).

carry-on bags need to fit though a typical bag scanner like they use at the airport. You won't get anything real big through there. Think bacpack or typical roll-aboard that will fit in an overhead bin on an airplane.

To answer your question..I don't think there is an official weight limit for the cruise luggage. The 50lb limit is for the airlines.

carry-on bags need to fit though a typical bag scanner like they use at the airport. You won't get anything real big through there. Think bacpack or typical roll-aboard that will fit in an overhead bin on an airplane.

To answer your question..I don't think there is an official weight limit for the cruise luggage. The 50lb limit is for the airlines.

In fact the scanners at the ports will handle a much larger bag then the airport. My 50lb full size bag was not a problem. Doing a CTN before a 10 day everyone had to carry on all their bags. You are not going to get a monster bag thru the scanner but a 26" or 28" bag no problem.

My 28"X19" was any easy fit.

In fact the scanners at the ports will handle a much larger bag then the airport. My 50lb full size bag was not a problem. Doing a CTN before a 10 day everyone had to carry on all their bags. You are not going to get a monster bag thru the scanner but a 26" or 28" bag no problem.

Where did you sail out of?

Officially NCL limits the luggage to four items max 50 lbs each per passenger.

The 50 lb weight limit is to protect the people handling the luggage - 50-65 lbs is a very common weight limit for items that can not be handled with machinery in the logistics industry in general.

My 28"X19" was any easy fit.

Glad to hear this. I don't think we are going to get away with the jumbo duffel bag, but DH's other "carry-on" is a size bigger than airport standard but not the jumbo sized one. His $2K worth of dive stuff will be carried on even if they have to manually search the bag. I really wish he wasn't a picky diver, but he has his stuff and refuses to rent equipment from the shops.

Now to figure out what to carry our drinks in. Do they allow a soft sized rolling cooler?

Officially NCL limits the luggage to four items max 50 lbs each per passenger.

The 50 lb weight limit is to protect the people handling the luggage - 50-65 lbs is a very common weight limit for items that can not be handled with machinery in the logistics industry in general.

I figured that the weight requirement was more a safety issue for the workers. If we are responsible for toting it everywhere a few pounds over shouldn't be bad (the said scuba equipment is hovering right around the 50lb mark without the drinks).

Glad to hear this. I don't think we are going to get away with the jumbo duffel bag, but DH's other "carry-on" is a size bigger than airport standard but not the jumbo sized one. His $2K worth of dive stuff will be carried on even if they have to manually search the bag. I really wish he wasn't a picky diver, but he has his stuff and refuses to rent equipment from the shops.

Now to figure out what to carry our drinks in. Do they allow a soft sized rolling cooler?

I figured that the weight requirement was more a safety issue for the workers. If we are responsible for toting it everywhere a few pounds over shouldn't be bad (the said scuba equipment is hovering right around the 50lb mark without the drinks).

Just make sure she does not have a dive knife in the carry on. They will hold it until the end of the cruise. Check it.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk - Jim

Just make sure she does not have a dive knife in the carry on. They will hold it until the end of the cruise. Check it.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk - Jim

Thanks for the reminder. He managed to walk on with it last time but it was a fluke because they caught it on the way back from his excursion.

Archived