What were your misconceptions about a cruise before your first?

tripman

Hello

I usually don't start threads like this, I generally just ask specific questions, but I figured I'd try to start a fun thread.

Before your first cruise, what misconceptions did you have, good or bad?

For example, I thought that when we left port there would be thousands of people waving like I saw in the movies...I found out it was only the dock workers.

Also, I thought that when I went to the buffet for lunch they were going to want to scan my room key and that I wouldn't be able to come back until the next meal (much like in a college dorm).

I don't know, maybe my first attempt at a fun thread will be a dud...I thought it might be an interesting topic.

Hey Tripper,

I hope that you don't mind the informalities. I honestly didn't know if there would be enough things to keep me occupied while at sea. Now, after three trips, I must say that there are not enough hours in the day. I also worried about tendering, but last year we tendered in Belize and had no problem. The year before we couldn't get off of the ship because of rough seas. They took us to Calica instead of Belize. By the way, it turned out to be one of our favorite stops. All in all, I must say that cruising has become a vacation to look forward to. We have another trip booked for January.

Have a great day and eat a shrimp for me.

Clackey

I think my biggest misconception was that people would be far more dressed up than they really are. For our first cruise, I went out and bought all new clothes for the whole family and packed for every day of the trip. Now, I might buy a new formal dress or top, but I wear the clothes I already have in my closet. The people onboard a cruise ship are just average, everyday sort of people. I also found out that you don't wear all the daytime wear you pack.

Reading through these boards, I think one of the biggest misconceptions is about the food onboard a ship. My DH set me straight regarding the food before my first cruise (he had gone on a couple prior to us meeting) and it made perfect sense to me, they are cooking for a couple thousand people, no way are they able to prepare gourmet food. Also, I keep reading about the disappointment at the buffets, yet people are reluctant to go to the dining room for breakfast and lunch. Oh well, it's easier for us to get seated right away and have the servers to ourselves when the majority of pax are battling at the buffet!

My pre-cruise misconceptions:

1. I thought I might get seasick.

Far from it. I loved the slight rocking of the ship. I've never slept better.

2. I thought I'd be bored to tears with nothing to do.

Silly me. I never came close to boredom, and there were more activities than I could imagine.

3. I thought it would be a ship full of "old people" sitting around drinking cocoa, with whom I'd have nothing in common. (I was twenty-someting at the time.)

Ridiculous! There were people of all ages and the seniors that I met were terrific people; interesting, fun and well-traveled. And many of them danced circles around me in the disco. ;)

4. I thought the port (in this case, Bermuda) would be the best part of the trip and I'd be anxiously looking forward to reaching land.

Wrong! Although Bermuda is one of the most beautiful places I've ever seen, the ship was an amazing destination in its own right. Now on all of my cruises, the ship is the primary fun-filled destination and the ports are just gravy.

5. I thought with 3 of us in a 170 sq. ft. cabin, we'd be ready to kill eachother after 7 days.

We were fine. Although it was a close space, the furniture was well laid out in order to efficiently utilize and maximize the limited space. Besides, we were too busy having fun.

6. I thought the food and service would be good.

Food was excellent and service was spectacular.

7. I thought I'd cruise the one time and maybe try another cruise much later.

I became a certified cruise addict, absolutely miserable if I don't have a cruise booked at all times.

I absolutely hate traveling and I'm not that hot about sitting at a table with a bunch of older people (we went HAL) dining formally. Besides, it was a ship with people playing shuffleboard, checkers and bridge.

HA! Was I ever wrong. I still hate traveling, unless it's at 16-22 knots with all the amenities. The older people are some of the most interesting folks I've ever had the privilege of traveling with. There was plenty to do and, since I like to be alone a lot, there were plenty of spots where I could curl up with a book and a mug of tea.

My first cruise was going to be my last. I'm booked on #14 or #15, I forget which, and will book the next one for Oct 06 in a few weeks.

I thought I'd feel claustrophobic in such a small cabin. The cabin was small. BUT, we hardly spent any time there! Just to shower and go to bed. I was hooked on cruising right after I got on board. I also thought I'd be able to sleep in (what's THAT????). No way, my friends. I was up before the sun because I didn't want to miss anything. My favorite thing to do on-board is get up early, grab a cup of coffee, go up on deck and watch the sun come up. It's so peaceful and quiet. I've now made that a ritual.

i agree with happy ks. i spent way too much money for new clothes, when come to find out, what i had in closet would have been very acceptable, in style and comfortable to wear.

but, my biggest fear was the formal night. i am not one too dress up and eat at fancy places with all the different silverware and things. but, i found out that i had worried about it for nothing :) . i put on my formal clothes, sat down at the table with my wonderful tablemates and had a wonderful dining experience. the waiters took away the silverware i did not need anymore ( i remembered to use the ones from the outside first and work my way in ) and i had a great evening.

so it turned out i worried and stayed awake nights for nothing. go and have a great time and enjoy yourself.

I was sure that I would be deathly illfrom seasickness. The first night on my first ship I stayed awake for hours waiting for sickness to hit.

When I woke up we were docked in the next port and I was fine. I take Bonine and fortunatly have found like those posting above, I like the motion of a ship.

I think my biggest misconception was that people would be far more dressed up than they really are. For our first cruise, I went out and bought all new clothes for the whole family and packed for every day of the trip. Now, I might buy a new formal dress or top, but I wear the clothes I already have in my closet. The people onboard a cruise ship are just average, everyday sort of people. I also found out that you don't wear all the daytime wear you pack.

QUOTE]

I second that!

My other big misconception was my ignorance of the ages of ships within the different lines. All lines have brand new ships and some have ones that are 20-30 years old. Our first cruise was on an older ship. What a difference when we sailed on newer ones. If I knew then what I know now, I would not have booked that particular ship.

Lastly, I had no idea that it would be windy at sea. Julie on the Love Boat never had to deal with wind.

I didn't expect people to be quite as rude to the staff.

I didn't realize how easy it would be to start (and maintain) a great conversation with a perfect stranger.

I didn't realize how a rough night at sea brings people together.

I didn't expect to feel so emotional visiting the islands (I was born in the Caribbean)

I agree with others. I thought people who cruised would be dressed to the nines in cruise wear like they sell in the stores in the spring. I also thought most of the guests would be older people without children. I thought I would be cooped up on a ship with nothing to do but read a book. I also felt compeled to do shore excursions in every port, later to realize I often don't even feel like getting off the ship.

the waiters took away the silverware i did not need anymore ( i remembered to use the ones from the outside first and work my way in )

Thank you sooooo much this was one of my fears. :o We have never been to a 5 star restaurant and now I'm planning on eating in one for almost a week. :eek: . So thank you for the info and tip.;)

I thought there were going to be a lot of beautiful 20 something women running around in bikinis. There were ... like 2, and the rest were big old ladys :(

HEY-- I resemble that remark...lol

How many of us expected Love Boat embarkation with Julie greeting us.. then heading to those huge staterooms. And as the ship floated out EVERYone was on deck waving to the masses on land.. Reality never even came close.

Watching commericals for cruiselines and all the people are like supermodels and beautifu-- I would feel left out... If cruiselines showed reality lots of people will not have that misconception.

I would have alot of areas that I could not go (wheelchair). All newer ships are easy to get around in (the old ones require someone to help with some doors, ramps are steep).

My first tender would be hard. It was funny, a nice man was on my right and another on my left. (I'm in my fifties) I wanted to kiss both of them. I had a lot of fun on the beach with the chair they probvided.

I would be bored. Wrong, not enough time for everything and I don't participate in pool things either. You got to do quest once.

Smoking would spoil it. I hate smoke (allergy). Most smokers obeyed the rules and many areas are smoke free including the Dining Rooms.

I travel by myself so I meet people of all ages and talk to them. We all have at least two things in common, travel or cruising. You got to love it.

Thank you sooooo much this was one of my fears. :o We have never been to a 5 star restaurant and now I'm planning on eating in one for almost a week. :eek: . So thank you for the info and tip.;)

im glad i could ease one of your fears. dont worry about formal night. the first one will be after a regular meal in the dinning room. so you will be just more dressed up and have a more special menu too choose from. it is a wonderful eating experience that will not be as uptight and stiff as you think. your waiters will put you at ease and take care of you. also remember it is mannerly to wait untill the whole table has been served before you begin to eat :) . have a great time.

Mine was also the food. I had family who went on cruises in the 80's that said the food spreads were unbelievable. I'm assuming times had changes and things happened because I did not see anything onboard like the pics I saw. No big deal because it was still good and I didn't starve:) I've found things I loved and things I could do without....but I still managed to have a great time!

Boo, whoo;) so sad for you!! Tough lesson to learn about manipulative advertising!!

i agree with you. it sounds like a windjammer barefoot cruise would be more in line for their '' cruise dreams''. i think that is where they will find more of that size of passengers :p . i personally fall into the '' big old ladies group '' and i am very happy there since there are more of us too be comrads with and have a good time :D .

spedteach...No need to stress. IMHO, the regular diningrooms are not 5 star by any means. ;)

Lastly, I had no idea that it would be windy at sea. Julie on the Love Boat never had to deal with wind.

Hee-hee.... can you say "AquaNet?" Anyway, on our first cruise, we were sailing with two teenaged girls and my greatest fear -- to be quite frank -- was their safety in relation to the younger crew members. This is was 2000 and there had been a lot of news about sexual assault taking place on cruise ships and the apparent lack of criminal discipline against offending crew members. As it turned out, everyone was appropriately friendly to our girls, though we did pound it into their heads not to allow themselves to end up alone with anyone. Common sense anywhere. I haven't heard anything like that happening at all recently, but at the time the media made it sound like an epidemic at sea.

I thought everyone would be in very expensive clothes and that you dressed formally every night for dinner like it was shown on that show Love Boat. And that mostly this was just something wealthy people did. We decided we would do a dream vaction for our 15th aniversary and priced cruises-did a little 4 day cheapie.

Once we realized how affordable it was and that it was not necessary to buy a bunch on new clothes (half of what I had brought we never wore on that cuise) We saw this did not need to be a "dream" vacation but was something we could afford to do yearly.

I thought that passengers would actually follow the dress code and be attired nicely for dinner and the rest of the evening but I was for the most part incorrect.

very disapointing as I had hoped to enjoy not just the ship but the entire atmosphere of elegance that the cruise lines try to promote in their brochures.

Instead it was Walmart on water. Guess I am forty years too late to begin my cruising days. Oh well.

Archived