How many days in PR is too many days?

Xcitdcruiser

I've never been to Culebra - the pictures do look nice. However, you will probably have the opportunity to enjoy fabulous beaches during your cruise. Personally, I wouldn't spend the time, money, and effort to ferry or to fly to Culebra. I think you would have plenty to fill your time in Puerto Rico. I didn't see anything unique or spectacular that would warrant a day trip - just my opinion.

EEkk! you are making me reconsider! It is meant to be have the second most exotic beach in the world... but i guess i will be at different beaches throughout the cruise! So much to think about! - lucky i have the time... :)

I dislike renting a car but did so, and had no problem. I stayed well outside of OSJ.

I stayed at a small place on the south side of El Yunque for 2 days. I found it far too short and could easily plan out a full week or even more, particularly with a little moving around. The northeast has Luquillo Beach, the Biobay at Fajardo, and ferry trips are possible to Culebra and Vieques, with another biobay experience.

Although there are more and better trails on the north side, the south side of the rainforest is quite secluded. I stayed at a place called Casa Picaflores which is peacefulness itself. I haven't even researched the south and west of the island, but gather that you could stay busy for a considerable time.

I think you could spend one or a few days in or near OSJ without much need of a rental, and then drive to another destination (or two or three) without much hassle. Or do the same in reverse. I do not at all think that five days is too long.

Thank you for your suggestions - how did you find casa picaflores? very sweet website they have.

I've never been to Culebra - the pictures do look nice. However, you will probably have the opportunity to enjoy fabulous beaches during your cruise. Personally, I wouldn't spend the time, money, and effort to ferry or to fly to Culebra. I think you would have plenty to fill your time in Puerto Rico. I didn't see anything unique or spectacular that would warrant a day trip - just my opinion.

You should go sometime.

The beaches there are unique from beaches in other places- as most beaches are. Sure, there's sun, sand and water. But a short walk from Flamenco beach, you'll find one of the most accessable coral reef snorkeling of all time. It's just amazing. the beach is called Carlos Rosario.

Or hire a boat to go out to Culebrita- a tiny version of Culebra, with the nice sandy beach, and a reef beach, etc- all to yourself.

not to say that the OP should go for sure, but I certainly would not rule it out. Compared to the cruise, Culebra will be very slow and relaxing.

Edit- the ferry ride isn't that bad, and is never full- the only problems is if you want to bring you car. I would not- the two times we were there, we rented from Jerry's Jeeps. but there are vans ready to move people all over the place. It's a very small island, very easy to navigate.

Just my opinion.

You should go sometime.

The beaches there are unique from beaches in other places- as most beaches are. Sure, there's sun, sand and water. But a short walk from Flamenco beach, you'll find one of the most accessable coral reef snorkeling of all time. It's just amazing. the beach is called Carlos Rosario.

Or hire a boat to go out to Culebrita- a tiny version of Culebra, with the nice sandy beach, and a reef beach, etc- all to yourself.

not to say that the OP should go for sure, but I certainly would not rule it out. Compared to the cruise, Culebra will be very slow and relaxing.

Edit- the ferry ride isn't that bad, and is never full- the only problems is if you want to bring you car. I would not- the two times we were there, we rented from Jerry's Jeeps. but there are vans ready to move people all over the place. It's a very small island, very easy to navigate.

Just my opinion.

Thank you for your opinion. It is much appreciated. I think i will leave it for my hubbie to be to decide once i present him with the option.

Quick question - once in Culebra, would you recommend hiring a car? Great that ppl are wanting to move you once getting there, but how about getting back from the beach? I'm assuming we would also want to eat some lunch somewhere...

Thank you for your opinion. It is much appreciated. I think i will leave it for my hubbie to be to decide once i present him with the option.

Quick question - once in Culebra, would you recommend hiring a car? Great that ppl are wanting to move you once getting there, but how about getting back from the beach? I'm assuming we would also want to eat some lunch somewhere...

It was easier to rent a car. There's a bar on the beach at Flaminco. Well, there was the last time we were there.

With a car, you can either pack a lunch, the bar, or just drive back to the handful of dive bars- it's a tiny island.

Thank you for your suggestions - how did you find casa picaflores? very sweet website they have.

Depends on what you mean by "how did you find" - I will answer all possible meanings.

1) find literally, online - I forget how. Knocking around.

2) find literally, real world - followed directions, with some online and paper mapping to give perspective. Main roads are clearly marked. Driving is not bad outside the metropolis.

3) find figuratively, as in "how was it" - very nice. Only one other family there, owner fixes a very nice home-grown breakfast, otherwise leaves you in peace, of which there is plenty. The lush vegetation grows all around the cabins. I had my own gurgling fish pond and millions of "coqui" frogs singing all night through the screened windows (you can't shut the windows because there's no glass - not necessary since the outside is room temperature). The coquis are a reason in themselves to visit the island, very pleasant interrogatory bell-like call: "co-QUI? co-QUI?"

I am vaguely planning a return visit, with maybe 2-3 days in this place and a few in San Juan-Luquillo-Fajardo, with probably a cruise to top it off. I'm open for suggestions myself.

It was easier to rent a car. There's a bar on the beach at Flaminco. Well, there was the last time we were there.

With a car, you can either pack a lunch, the bar, or just drive back to the handful of dive bars- it's a tiny island.

Thanks once again - it would be much easier o explore having our own transport. I'm assuming that the car hire would have to be done before arriving? So much to think about!!

Depends on what you mean by "how did you find" - I will answer all possible meanings.

1) find literally, online - I forget how. Knocking around.

2) find literally, real world - followed directions, with some online and paper mapping to give perspective. Main roads are clearly marked. Driving is not bad outside the metropolis.

3) find figuratively, as in "how was it" - very nice. Only one other family there, owner fixes a very nice home-grown breakfast, otherwise leaves you in peace, of which there is plenty. The lush vegetation grows all around the cabins. I had my own gurgling fish pond and millions of "coqui" frogs singing all night through the screened windows (you can't shut the windows because there's no glass - not necessary since the outside is room temperature). The coquis are a reason in themselves to visit the island, very pleasant interrogatory bell-like call: "co-QUI? co-QUI?"

I am vaguely planning a return visit, with maybe 2-3 days in this place and a few in San Juan-Luquillo-Fajardo, with probably a cruise to top it off. I'm open for suggestions myself.

Thank you for your response - you made me smile. I must remember to be more specific in my questions!! You nailed my question with answer 3.

I had done a HEAP of research on places to stay & had never come across Casa Picaflores even though it's rated the top place to stay in that area. A couple of questions re your room:

-sounds like you stayed in the 'camping' room - would you happily stay there again or try out the little yellow place?

-does it really have an outdoor shower?

-i was suprised to see that the camping room + yellow house were the same price, do you think it's becuase of the novelty or it's well worth it?

Now onto your possible return - I'm coming from Australia for this trip & my first priority was the cruise. We decided on Celebrity for its 'Modern Luxury' as it will be our honeymoon. They have 2 x diff caribbean routes to choose from. Departing from PR meant the cruise fare was cheaper & you get more port days vs sea days - it also gives us an opportunity to explore PR - something we never though of doing. Well.. staying pre-cruise 2 nights in OSJ (have a look at Vila Herencia!!) has been extended i think on 5 nights at the moment ! lol.

Thanks once again - it would be much easier o explore having our own transport. I'm assuming that the car hire would have to be done before arriving? So much to think about!!

Correct.

Almost an overwhelming number of choices. To the point that you shouldn't try too much- it's your honeymoon.:)

Archived