Ruins: which ones for those not in shape?

LibrarianBecky

I would really like to visit one of the ruins sights in Belize. We are going to be in port from 9-6. I would rather book an excursion with a local tour company (did this before in Belize and felt 100% safe). It will be myself, my husband, and our 7 year old son. My husband and I are not in the best shape, but did Disney last year and didn't collapse in the 105 degree heat, so I think we will be okay in that regard.

From what I've read, it seems like Altun Ha would be our best bet for a ruins sight because it is closer than the other two. Can anyone comment? Also, I would love some tour operators recommendations, if you have one.

Thank you!

We did Altun Ha 2 years ago (did the ruins, with the River Wallace boat ride). Altun Ha is beautiful and we had great guides. The area is relatively flat. You are given the option to climb one of the temples. The steps are very uneven and rugged, I opted to stay on the ground (bum knee). My BF and son climbed them, they both said it was a rough climb, even if you're in shape. Worth it, but rough. So, if you don't do the climb, I think you'd be ok. It is HOT there, though. I don't know when you're going, we were there end of April and it was definitely warm and humid. The boat ride is an open boat so no shade, definitely take plenty of sunscreen and water.

That being said, it was the highlight of our trip. We absolutely loved it. We'll be back in Belize next year and are looking forward to another excursion similar to the Altun Ha/River Wallace.

We were there last year - April 2012 - we are a group of 7 people ages 7 - 63 and everyone had a great day in Belize. We did a tour to Altun Ha through Experience Belize. We had a nice small bus that had air conditioning. He took us the long way through/around town giving a lot of information, history and answering questions. It was a comfortable ride to the ruins, maybe 45 minutes I think. The ruins themsleves were so interesting. The kids and I climbed to the top and had amazing views...My mother-in-law stayed at the bottom in the shade. We spent as much time as we want..he pointed out some plants and different interesting things...He gave us space to explore and talk on our own but was cloe-by if we had questions. There were a few locals selling interesting things and he seemed to know them and their prices were reasonable. They were ot pushy at all. On the drive back we had cold beers and sodas. This was one of our favorite excusrsions on this trip...I highly reccommend this company! We paid nothing in advance - we made a reservation and paid cash the day of the trip.

• 1 month later...
I would really like to visit one of the ruins sights in Belize. We are going to be in port from 9-6. I would rather book an excursion with a local tour company (did this before in Belize and felt 100% safe). It will be myself, my husband, and our 7 year old son. My husband and I are not in the best shape, but did Disney last year and didn't collapse in the 105 degree heat, so I think we will be okay in that regard.

From what I've read, it seems like Altun Ha would be our best bet for a ruins sight because it is closer than the other two. Can anyone comment? Also, I would love some tour operators recommendations, if you have one.

Thank you!

If the heat does not bother you, but you do want to limit physical exertion, then of the three Mayan sites frequented by cruisers, Altun Ha is the best. It is flatter than the other two, and several of the pyramids you can climb with minimal effort.

Orientation: There are two adjacent plazas in Altun Ha, Plaza A and Plaza B, consisting of about a 15-20 structures, some consolidated, some not. From the parking lot you’ll enter into Plaza A, and you’ll see the Temple of the Green Tomb (Structure A-1) across the Plaza A on your right, Structure A-3 across the Plaza on your left; to your immediate right will be Structure A-6, and to your immediate left will be Bowling Alley (A-5) to your left.

Walking through the Plaza A, next to A-3, you’ll enter Plaza B. Across Plaza B on left will be the Temple of Masonry Altars (Structure B-4), across Plaza B on the right will be the Ik Palace (Structures B-3, B-5, and B-6); on your immediate left will be low structures A-1 and B-1.

Structure A-6 is grass covered mound with a long superstructure on the top. The front is unconsolidated. There is no access to the top from the Plaza, but you can climb newly constructed stair from the back. The stairs look inviting (it is the first thing that looks climbable to people entering Altun Ha), but for some people it might be too steep, no landings to catch your breath, just 49 stairs straight up.

Structure A-1 (Temple of the Green Tomb) has a steep staircase in front, but it is roped off. You access it from the right. Fairly easy climb, except for the top third (the last 7 steps on the superstructure are steep).

Structure A-5 (Bowling Alley) is unconsolidated. Sizable mound, but nor too steep compare to other tall structures. My kids did it, but I skipped it.

Structure A-3 is probably the best pyramid to climb if you have problems climbing, but still want to see the entire site from atop of the pyramid. It is an easy climb. It has a 270 degree view of Altun Han, because it straddles both Plazas. 9 steps to the first level, 9 more to the second level, 5 more to the third level, and 5 more to the top level.

Structure B-4 (Temple of the Masonry Altars) is the tallest in Altun Ha, and the only one with handrails. The view is spectacular. Easy to climb due to handrails (at least part of the climb).

Structure B-6 has about 17 steps in 3 levels. An easy climb, but this structure doesn't offer much on an overlook.

Structures B-1, B-3, and B-5 are low structures with less than 5 steps each.

Good luck!

I agree, Altun Ha would be best. Don't do Xanantunich. There is an long, steep hill you must climb. I think this should be mentioned in the excursion description. My DH has afib and I was a bit worried about him.

We took a Carnival excursion to Xananunich and for those that couldn't walk up the hill, they drove up in the same vans that drive you up from the hand-crank ferry.

Archived