Current condition of Cupecoy Beach? Also, transportation?

jnk619

Hi - we will be in st Maarten in 2 weeks. Does anyone know the current condition of cupecoy beach? Are there much sand? Are the caves / rock formations accessible?

We don't want to hang out at the beach, just wanted to get some pretty pictures of the beach with the rocks and cave formation. Is this possible even with all the condo developments in the area?

Also, if we catch a cab, how much should we expect to pay (for 2ppl)? Should we get dropped off in the beginning, middle, or end section of the beach to find the caves / rock formation?

Lastly, if we take the bus to mullet bay, do you think it's a reasonable walk to cupecoy?

Thanks for any insights!

We explored this area a little by car one day last summer. I can not answer all of your questions but I will try to at least give you a general picture of this area. We usually just drive down the main road here past the condos and shopping mall. The public beach enterances here are not easy to find. I can't remember exactly where we entered but we must have passed the enterance a hundred times before and never knew that it was the road to parking lots for Cupocoy.

This is not your average island beach for a number of reasons. Its difficult to access. There are a few areas where you lie out up in the cliffs and some areas which were like large rocky areas where you could lie out. One area that had more beach was down at the end by Baie Longe, right near the area where the newest buildings for the exclusive La Samana resort are. There was a place to park by this area but I think that we were about 4 (slow) minutes down a not well kept lane way ( might describe it better than a road). It was about 5-5:30 and the beach had 2 people on it. We did see a stand and a sign that said chairs were available but I can't say for sure that this is currently true. Hopefully someone can verify if chairs are still rented here. The beach was small but not tiny.

Sorry, I can't remember too many details but I remember thinking that it would be worthy of another visit when more people were around. It is a very spread out area and it's so difficult to describe to me. We parked at one point where another car was parked and took a path that led us to the infamous cliff area and some "cliff boys" as well getting some sun.(read gay men in the nude) Needless to say we did not stop for pictures.:D It was a really pretty view from the path though.:)

Since there are condos and a mall in the area and it's not too far from the airport I would personally not be afraid of getting stranded in this area on a cruise day without a car. Give yourself plenty of time to walk back to the main area and get a taxi. I would leave the beach by 2 if my ship left at 5 or 6. My tendancy would be to take the Airport -Simpson Bay way back to the port but in the afternoon perhaps going the Mariot way would be better. GARY if your out there this is your cue!:)

You are correct that the Cupocoy area runs from the far end of Mullet to the near end just before Baie Longe. I think it would be lovely to explore and to take pictures at. Keep in mind though that this is a large area and you would need to remember to give yourself plenty of time to get back to the port.

This is about all the insight that I can provide on this as it is not an area that we regularly visit so hopefully someone else can offer you more help.:)

<snip>

My tendancy would be to take the Airport -Simpson Bay way back to the port but in the afternoon perhaps going the Marigot way would be better. GARY if your out there this is your cue!:)

<snip>

If I were driving I would head towards Marigot, but if in a taxi I would certainly let the driver decide.

gary

karysa & gary -

thank you for the great information. we will probably hire a cab to take us to Cupecoy in the morning, explore the area, and find another cab back. We're on the fence about stopping by maho to watch the planes. seems like a unique experience, but not sure if it's our cup of tea.

anyway, thanks again for your help :).

j&k

Archived