Grand Caymen-Stingray Island- snorkel excursion???

Thomas M. Bottom

Has anyone taken the stingray island snorkel/excursion through RCL or some local guides? What were your impressions? Which is better? Will RCL's excursion be too crowded? (we are on the RCL Explorer) We have 2 children 11 &7 going with, which would be better for them? We missed going to the stingray thing on our last stop in Grand Caymen years ago (due to bad weather), want to make sure we do it up right this time!

SNORKLLER.gif.439cf5f1b7db14f847e958f19f248158.gif

Of all the things we did on our last cruise (Carnival Inspiration, Belize cave tubing, Cozumel beachs and Riveria Maya villiage touring), the stingrays were by far the coolest at Grand Cayman. I think we went with Capt. Soto. There is a separate forum for Grand Cayman and I know someone there will be able to give you more contact information. A few quick comments/details though

1 - The stingrays are NOT dangerous and the water is NOT deep. There is NO risk no matter what you may be thinking, in my opinion.

2- Going on a private tour is much better than the ship tour. We had a few people on our boat (like a large pontoon boat) and some tablemates did the ship tour. They were on a huge boat with lots and lots of people. Our guides made sure everyone touched the stingrays and got to hold them and got pictures, etc. With so many people on the ship tour, they were basically on their own. A few of them from ship tours (our ship and others) even tried to blend in with us so they could get more attention!

3 - In addition to the stingrays, we stopped at several other snorkel points and got more of those than the ship tour. At each one, our guides were incredible about being sure we were safe and entertained.

4 - The private tour was about HALF of what the ship tour was.

Good luck!

Tommy

We went with Captain Marvin's stingray tour when in Grand Cayman last year. It was cheaper than onboard the ship and we got to snorkle in two different locations as well as feed the stingrays. Their shop is just a short walk from the pier and they have a toll-free number you can call to make your reservation.

I highly recommend them.

Ray

Here is a link to my review of our Stingray trip with Capt Soto last year.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=30337

I heard good things about Capt Marvin too but of course I am partial to the one I took. The thing to remember is that the private operators have real incentive to make sure the customer has fun and is happy since they rely on word of mouth for more business. A ship tour has no such imperative.

I hope you will definitely go on the tour, with someone, and that you might give Capt Soto at least a scan.

Tommy

We have done stingray city twice. The first time we were staying on Grand Cayman and we went when a cruise ship was not in port and we were the only boat there with just 12 of us. It was amazing.

The second time we sailed in on RCCL and booked someone off the pier for only $25.00. When we got to Stingray city it was swamped with about 5-6 boats. The RCCL tour had to have had at least 60-70 people on their boat and they paid much more. We only had about 10 people and we got to feed and hold the stingrays too. Then we went to snorkel at a second spot where our guide pulled a huge eel out of his hiding spot with food about 20' below while we all float snorkeled on top and watched. Very neat. Definitley book on your own. You will love it!! Don't forget an underwater camera!!

• 2 weeks later...

UNDERWATER CAMERA is a must - bring a couple!

Try to go first thing in the morning - as early as you possibly can; less crowded.

We've been on lots of awesome excursions - this ranks in the top two or three, no doubt.

And, like other posters said, it is 110 percent safe.

• 2 weeks later...

DON'T book through the cruiseline. Capt Marvins has a website and you can book now and reserve saving alot of $$ as opposed to booking same tour w/ cruiseline. Sorry, don't have website handy, but you'll find it w/ a search I'm sure. Had no problems, and staff was excellent, had 5 year old w/ me who had a great time snorkeling too.

-mike

did capt marvin last year. you can walk to the shop from port. i would call in adavance because his boat is limited. which is what you want. cruise tours have way too mant people. he took us away from all that. it was a great day! had an 11 year old and a 7 year with us, and the first mate helped my 7 year old with the rays. you must go capt marvin!

• 3 months later...

We did captain Marvin a few seasons ago. While the ship's tour had 70+ people, there were only 3 on our boat. Personalized service, a narrated tour to the site, an extra stop in Coral Gardens and help for my water-wary wife. No comparison to the herd on the ship's tour, fending for themselves. I reseved in advance by email. Everything went like clockwork.

• 3 weeks later...

We're snorkled with the stingrays twice with Captain Marvin's. Excellent trips. We've sent many other cruisers to CM's. DO NOT book any of the stingray trips on board the ship. Book Captain Marvin's on-line. Smaller boats, less people. Book the first trip of the day while the stringrays are still hungry (yes, I'm serious). Get off the ship, turn left --very easy walk -- to the small shopping center with the CM office. Bring your own underwater camera. The stingrays are very cool.

I agree Captain Marvins is great. Besides being cheaper and smaller than the ship's excursions, remember that the locals don't cancel at the hint of rough seas or bad weather. The day we were there a couple years ago, the seas had a slight chop and all the ship's excursions were canceled. (liability!!!) The trip was great and we were some of the very few on the Oosterdam who got to meet the stingrays. Enjoy!

• 5 years later...

Capt Marvin was sold out. We booked with Moby Dick and had a terrific time. March 2010 There were too many boats at the Cay when we arrived--they quickly took us to snorkel (really great) and then returned to Cay with fewer boats a little later. They helped everyone have a great time. The kids can be scared of the rays (ours age 11) but they helped us to relax and enjoy!

We used Sotos back in Oct. Reserved prior via email. we paid 40. when we arrived we were told we had some time to shop before we left for the boat. fine. when we got back the guy was hocking to fill up the boat for 25. when we questioned he and the guy on the boat we got some double talk. Also the van/boat driver was a guy with no personality, almost rude. then they try to sell you overpriced picture of your trip. I would not go with them again.

Archived