Port or Starboard cabin for Panama Canal

Carib210

I see a lot of you have done the Panama Canal cruise. We are thinking of the Coral Princess, round trip from Ft. Lauderdale. Does anyone have anysuggestions as to best side of ship, or balcony cabin for that matter? Since this will probably be our only cruise there, wouldn't want to make a mistake- want the best views. Thanks in advance.

P.S.- Thinking of going in Feb 06- Is that a good time of year?

For me, I would look at port or starboard depending on direction I was travelling. The sun is brutal in that part of the world, and I would want to take advantage of as much shade as possible.

As far as the locks, there are parallel locks, and it is very difficult to determine which you may go through, as usually both locks operate for the same direction - a defile system if you will.

We've been through the Canal three times, and I find that I am continually on the move, fore and aft, port and starboard, maximizing the views of the locks, the "mules", and the operation of the sheaves on the "mules", releasing and retracting the lines to the ship to keep her in the middle of the locks. It is a fascinating trip.

We were on starboard side of Sun when we went through the Panama Canal and had great views, but as previous poster said - I was all over the ship to see everything. I takes approx. 8 hours for the complete transport so you have plenty of time to wander. Actually I thought the best views were from Promendade deck - so close to all the action.

Have a great cruise - definitely a must see!!!

Just realized, looking at your post again, that you are not doing the full transit. You might want to rethink (since it will probably be your only time doing it) and take one that goes the whole way. I really didn't think it would be a big deal to not do it, but my husband really wanted to (since it would be our only time doing it) and I'm so glad we did. There is just something about coming out into the Pacific and passing under the Bridge of the Americas - absolutely amazing!!!

Since you are doing the roundtrip which side isn't important but on the Coral it is important to get a good balcony. Your best bet is Caribe or lower. The balcnies on Baha and Aloha are much smaller. If you want t nice completely covered balcony I would suggest the Cat. BE's aft on Emerald deck.

Scott

Our favorite cruise, except perhaps for...I digress. We have sailed only once throught the canal, from east to west. Had a port side balcony cabin. We also roamed the boat during the transit, but when it rained (and it did!) we were nice and dry on our balcony. It seemed to me that there was more 'life' on the port side; the prison, the canal visitor center with the children singing, Panama City; but then again I don't know what I missed on the starboard side. The canal is an engineering marvel and with the beauty of the area, a real Kodak moment (am I dating myself or what?)

As far as the locks, there are parallel locks, and it is very difficult to determine which you may go through, as usually both locks operate for the same direction - a defile system if you will.

As far as the locks being parallel, they are, but you are either going in or going out - most difficult to back up.

Archived