Just off the Monarch-Reivew

We just got home from a wonderful cruise on the Monarch.

This was our first cruise but will not be our last.

We did the four day cruise that leaves Monday and returns Friday.

We flew in on Sunday and stayed at the Sheraton LA Harbor. The package included shuttle service from the airport, hotel stay, breakfast then shuttle to the cruise terminal. The drive to the terminal is less than five minutes.

Most of our trip was wonderful, except the shuttle ride from LAX to the hotel.

It took two hours to get to the hotel because other riders had to be dropped off at different LA locations. Once we were at the hotel everything was fine.

We left the hotel at 11:00 am. All seven passangers were heading for the Monarch. Be sure to have your camera ready when you leave the hotel. When you turn the block heading for the cruise terminal you get your first look at the ship. The Monarch was larger than we expected.

Someone came over and unloaded the luggage ( be sure to tip them their not with RCCL). They told us that our luggage would be outside our room by 7pm that evening. I wasn't happy with that. I thought they put the luggage in the room.

We entered the terminal and walked up to the window. They reviewed our documents and gave us our Sea Passes and room keys.

We then went to the security check area. There was a seperate area for high level Crown and Anchor members and passangers staying in suites.

They didn't start loading until noon. At that time the C & A members and suite passangers were loaded first. Then there was a group of almost 30 allowed to board because they were involved in a wedding. Next they started calling passangers by group numbers. We were in the first group.

We were on board by 12:15.

As you enter the ship their waiting there with drinks already made and ready to be purchased.

There was a long line to purchase soda packages. You don't have to wait in this line you can go to any bar and purchase the package.

The rooms were not available until one so we went to the pool.

We wondered around the ship. We went to our room at one. Everyone had said the rooms were so small. We thought they were fine for two. If you've spent any time in a camper or trailer you'll be fine with the room size.

We had a inside room on the 4th floor. Several other passangers said they wish they had a inside room because the window wasn't worth the extra price. We made several trips around the ship and kept check for our luggage. When we met our room steward she offered to put our luggage in our room for us.

We were looking forward to leaving port, my niece wanted to wave to the people on shore. We missed doing this since we had the early dinner 5:30 the same time we leave LA. When I booked the cruis they said early dinner seating was 6pm.

We were at a table for six. We were seated with a wonderful family. We had planned on eating in the dining room only one or two times but ended eating there each night. If you want excellent service from your waiter then ask to be seated in Eddie's section. After asking our name the first night he never forgot them. He did magic tricks and napkin animals for the kids.

We went to the nine pm show, it was very good. They do a early show so the 8 pm diners can see the show.

We ordered room service for our first two breakfasts. You hang a order slip on our door knob by 3 am and it's deliverd the next morning when you want it.

We did th e Wild Animal Park when we were in San Diego. If you want to do the San Diego Zoo or Sea World be sure to book them ahead of time. These were sold out several weeks befor we sailed.

When we reurned to the ship we got dressed for the formal night then headed to the Vicking Lounge so we could be there when we left port.

After dinner we were up on deck and spotted a whale off the starboard side. It stayed with us for a while.

Day two was Cataline. We had a 9:30 tour so we had to catch the early tender. I failed to check the weather. It was overcast and cold. We didn't have time to go back for a jacket so be purchased one on shore.

We did our under sea tour and went back to the ship.

Many passangers rented golf carts and toured the Island. They charge $30 per hour but if you prepay for two hours you get the third hour for free.

Day three was Ensenada. What a ugly view. We got off the boat and shopped at the terminal shops then re-boarded. This allowed us a day on board to enjoy the Monarch. That afternoon I played Bingo. The man who won the blackout won over $1800.

My niece made several friends on board. The kids enjoyed Adventure Ocean program at times. Adults must check them in but you can allow the kids check themselves out.

The big hit for the kids were the towel animals left in the rooms.

The last night in the dinning room a a lot of fun. Be sure to take your camer with you at all time, you never know when you'll want to take a picture. I took 277 whild on board.

Friday morning started our bad. We went to the dinning room early (unassigned seating) and never received our meal before our color was called.

We took the LA post tour cruise. It wasn't worth it. We were let off the bus four times the longest time was 30 minutes for lunch at the Farmers Market. By the time your went thru the lines you didn't have time to eat all your meal.

I enjoyed the cruise so much I booked the same one for next year and asked for my same room.

I'm glad you enjoyed your cruise, we have been on this one a couple of times and plan to go again. Next time you will have to do different excursions, expecially in San Diego, there is so much to do there.

Just a little FYI, next time, if you are still at breakfast when your tag color is called, you are not required to get up and leave. Stay and enjoy your breakfast, they call the colors as the bags are ready, your bags will still be there if you are a bit late.

I'm surprised the LA tour didn't give you time to eat, that must have been a drag for you. You have, I'm sure, seen much more of LA than I ever have!

Hve fun on the Monarch again next year and thanks for posting, it's always fun to read a Monarch review.

Do you recall what the age grouping was for the kids club? I plan on

taking my grandson next summer on this cruise. He will be 11 then and

my niece who will going with my sister will be 10. We took them on a

NCL cruise last year and they had a blast in the kids' group. I am

surprised they allow them to sign themselves out, on NCL we always had to

go pick them up and sign them out.

How was the food?

If you do not want to dress up for formal night is there a alternative to

dinner?

thanks so much

Sharon

Both children will be in the same age group. 9-11. One night they had the Pirate Parade. The next night they had a Pajama Pary. The children wear the PJ's to Adventure Ocena for a evening of fun activities. All the children dressed up as pirates and paraded around the ship and did a short show in the showroom before the 9pm show. The children all said the staff was great except one worker was very rude.

Each day you can pick up a copy of the "Adventure Ocean" compass. This is a schedule of events by age group for the day.

Keep the kids away from the hot tubs late nights. You won't want them to see what goes on there at time.

The food was very good. They post the dinner menu outside the dining room each day. There is a childrens menu available. If you can't decide between the selection they will bring you more than one. The man at our table had two main courses one night because he coundn't decide between them.

I had two desserts one night.

Remember to order cookies and milk from room service for bedtime.

My niece ran ahead of me one day and tried to get off the ship and they wouldn't let her off. I was very pleased to find this out. Kids don't leave without an adult.

Beware of the arcade. You have to charge a minimum of $10 on your seapass card. Most games are $1.25 or more.

PawsMa, it was so nice to hear a positive review of Monarch! My husband and I cruised on her in 94 and 96, when she was the "Grand Dame" of the Caribbean! We, too, enjoyed her so much, that we went back in 96, and took friends with us, just to share in the experience.

Ironically enough, I too live in Sparks! What part of Sparks do you live in? So often on these threads you read about folks on the east coast who live in neighboring towns or cities, but not too often on the west coast, so to see a post from someone in the same city in No. Nevada is a real thrill!

Glad you enjoyed your cruise. You'll have to try a bigger ship after your second Monarch cruise, believe me, you'll enjoy it even more!

We live in Spanish Springs. I see your going on AOS soon. I hope you have a wonderful time. I've read many reviews about her and saw a show on the travel about her cruise, it looks like it will be very nice.

Archived