The Ma'am's Star Western Caribbean Review with Pictures!

medicalma'am

This is a view of our "ride" to Little French Key awaiting us.

IMG_9616_zpsa5b12cee.jpg

The Grand Girls were getting excited.

IMG_9618_edited-1_zpsfcb01485.jpg

Birds there at Frenchy's 44 were loud and getting attention:

IMG_0480_edited-1_zpsbf8db09e.jpg

Our "driver" as we left Frenchy's 44:

IMG_0494_zpsfca66bb5.jpg

Edited by planma'am

It was a quick, 5-minute ride to our destination:

IMG_0495_edited-1_zps6b1b8259.jpg

After we got to Little French Key, my DH disappeared for about 45 minutes; he was exploring and taking pictures. I'll post some of those he took:

IMG_0500_edited-1_zps78db5f16.jpg

IMG_0504_edited-1_zps866c4298.jpg

IMG_0510_edited-1_zps257f767d.jpg

IMG_0511_edited-1_zpsa4fb3203.jpg

Edited by planma'am

Please indulge me as I share more from Little French Key. I can't say enough good about this resort or its owners/managers/staff. It was clean wherever you went, neatly upkept, with several different areas for enjoying different aspects throughout. Medicalma'am shared many photos, to; I just want to add to the overall picture.

IMG_0576_zps0d6183ed.jpg

IMG_0580_edited-1_zps4098120b.jpg

IMG_0582_edited-1_zpsdce458ad.jpg

IMG_0583_edited-1_zpsda70880a.jpg

Family enjoying the amenities:

IMG_0592_zps8f5c547b.jpg

IMG_0594_zpsf792247f.jpg

Edited by planma'am

Well, having photo problems again. Not going to try to edit out the missing ones, I'll just go on from here.

Our group was not the only one Little French Key, but it almost felt like it. They limit the number of people there every day, though it clearly could have handled more. Just made it seem more private. I was so surprised that there were not more people there. A little kept secret? Though Medicalma'am told me she read a review from someone there, I think it was over Thanksgiving, where it was overcrowded, as one large group had booked for the wrong day, and showed up "unexpected" for that day. They scrambled and made it work, though I think there was something about not enough food. Medicalma'am will have to provide these details.

Here's my favorite view:

IMG_9625_edited-1_zps94499f47.jpg

The main bar:

IMG_9662-Copy_zpscfe3b7b5.jpg

Medicalma'am mentioned that we were all given two drink tickets with our entry. I originally thought I would be buying more, but instead left there with two drink tickets! I immediately ordered their signature drink, the Monely La La, upon the recommendation of others there already. They told me to go slow on an empty stomach, as it was strong and was as good as a milkshake!

IMG_9669_edited-1_zpsb25f3242.jpg

So I had only drunk down about half before eating. By then, the snorkelers had returned, and one of our group had gotten sea sick while out there, so I ended up with her extra drink ticket.

So I ordered a second Monkey La La after eating. Then before going out to zipline, my DD gave me my DGD's second drink ticket. I didn't end up using either of these, and could not find anyone else who wanted them, either. Seems they know about how much people are going to drink after all!

DSIL and her SO

IMG_9664_edited-1-Copy_zps6b778ad2.jpg

Another area for relaxing:

IMG_9665_edited-1_zpsd436107e.jpg

Lost one whole post. I'll recreate the photo stream here:

Our group enjoying the elevated area:

IMG_0597_zpsd91993d6.jpg

IMG_0596_edited-1_zps3808c09c.jpg

Medicalma'am and her DGD napping:

IMG_9684_zpseeab3ef0.jpg

We finally headed back to the ship. Others had left earlier, who had come from one of the other cruise ships in Roatan that day.

Here is the view from our balcony as we were departing Roatan:

IMG_9707_zps09099a07.jpg

And something I never tire of seeing: the wake. Here you can tell that the azipods had turned, as the wake indicated several different directions in thrust.

IMG_9713_zpsbc804aff.jpg

I was second-guessing the second to the last photo in the previous post. I titled it a view as we were leaving port, but as I looked at it, I wasn't sure. Then I remembered that I had zoomed into other areas of the port, and this was one of them.

Here is a picture DH took of the port as we were leaving:

IMG_9702_zps94773e91.jpg

And here is a picture of DH taking that picture:

IMG_9708_zpsde633d23.jpg

Photobucket quit on me, so I'm going to submit this before I time out as I try to get it back.

Friday was Cozumel. I'm with Medicalma'am; if I had known how nice Chankanaab Park was, I would have left for there immediately to be able to spend more time there. Hindsight........................

But we shopped in the port first; I did get a nice silver chain. Let me tell ya'll, they really must think we're all really rich or really stupid. I picked out a chain, and he asked about a pendant for it, so I found one that was OK, even though I was only interested in the chain. I asked how much, and he gave me the sales pitch first, then told me $370.00. My immediate reaction was to say no and hand it back to him and start to walk out. He then told me he'd do me a "special" favor and cut the price in half for cash. I told him I didn't have that much cash and kept walking. He said I could use a credit card, but I told him no and kept walking. He asked how much I would pay, and I said I only wanted the chain. He quoted a few prices, and I kept saying no, but I was not walking. Finally he asked me how much I would pay, and long story short, ended up paying $20.00 cash for the chain only! So if you plan to buy anything, be sure to go in with the price you intend to pay and stick to it!

Medicalma'am has told you about the taxi drive to the park, I'll start from our arrival. We had reservations for 6 of us to do the dolphin encounter, and one other person went with us to the park, and paying the entrance fee was easy.

A view one direction down the boardwalk once you entered:

IMG_9724_zps0d7ea0fd.jpg

And a view the other direction where you could see another port where three more cruise ships were docked.

IMG_9723_zps54c472ed.jpg

This is where we went to have our dolphin encounter.

IMG_9726_zps5e44a2c4.jpg

We got a quick bit to eat here while Medicalma'am waited for her CD of pictures to be made.

IMG_9729_zps8f2c4d07.jpg

We didn't have much time until we had to head back to the port, but we wandered over to the beach area for a short time to relax and let the grand girls swim or play in the sand.

IMG_9734_zps1a7ddd99.jpg

The blue, blue ocean:

IMG_9733_edited-1_zps56df97c0.jpg

And white beach sand:

IMG_9737_zps83de6b0f.jpg

IMG_9739_zpsbc505b82.jpg

Relaxation central; just wish we had more time there.

IMG_9735_zps963d688a.jpg

Playing in the sand:

IMG_9742_zps74d432ac.jpg

All good things come to an end, and it was time to wander back to the port. We saw this creature along the way:

IMG_9745_zps0f3e698e.jpg

And a final shot from the park: DGD didn't want to leave, but at least posed for this picture, sans smile.

IMG_9748_zps54b802a5.jpg

Once back in the port area, these birds were there to greet us.

IMG_9752_edited-1_zpsd777de62.jpg

So then it's a long walk down the quay to the Star

IMG_9754_zpsf2ec8900.jpg

And the "tower of ships" and a party to greet us!

IMG_9756_zps182aebb1.jpg

Music was playing and many crew members were there to welcome us back on board after our last port. Cool towels, I think a fruit punch, and clean beach towels in exchange for the used ones. This is pretty impressive, and I loved it!

Edited by planma'am

We all headed back to our rooms to shower and change, and this was the view as the ship once again left a port.

IMG_9759_zpseeda057c.jpg

Enough hot water for all the showers. Which reminds me, I forgot to add to the Costa Maya day that when we returned from the beach, we all had to take showers that were tepid at most. I figured it was because everyone on the ship was trying to shower at the same time. That's why I was plesently surprised that after Cozumel there was more than enough hot water.

We had our second cocktail party in the Star Bar:

IMG_9761_zps527966bc.jpg

Medicalma'am and her DH

IMG_9765_zpsdb862227.jpg

Screenma'am and her DH, Bullit

IMG_9766_zps9d31d09e.jpg

Myself and my DH, DD, and DGD

IMG_0641_edited-1_zps533a6104.jpg

Having fun at the cocktail party.

IMG_9769_zpsc2c1fbab.jpg

DGD showing off one of the tattoos she got

IMG_9780_zpse5594e0b.jpg

We went to Moderno for dinner that night, and I think I just got pictures of some of us at a time, as some were at the salad bar. We wanted to go to the Chocolate Buffet after, so did not linger.

IMG_0657_edited-1_zpsd471d164.jpg

We got some night shots on the ship as we headed to the buffet.

IMG_0663_zpsa7a35307.jpg

IMG_0664_edited-1_zpsc840f968.jpg

IMG_0666_edited-1_zps6b08d4a3.jpg

Saturday was the Bridge Tour day. We were in the earlier of the two tours. We met Cat, the Group Services Coordinator, at the arranged meeting point, and she called roll. Then we followed her onto the bridge where we were offered champagne or orange juice and hors d'oeuvres.

View out the front of the ship:

IMG_9825_zps38e797ff.jpg

The captain spent the whole hour with us, explaining the major functions of the bridge and answering questions.

IMG_9822_zpsf4f9d428.jpg

My DGD actually asked an intelligent question; here is the captain answering her:

IMG_9828_zps81bb7411.jpg

The Ma'ams with the Captain:

IMG_9838_zpsfcfde43d.jpg

And with the Star's bell:

IMG_9836_zps95c94a3d.jpg

DH didn't have time for breakfast before the bridge tour, so I sat with him on the pool deck while he ate. DD joined us after taking DGD to the Kid's Club again. I decided to take some orange juice back to the cabin, and walked with DD into the buffet. Two women were coming towards us, and DD spoke to one; she had met them earlier and helped them locate the library, which was just across the hall from her suite. As we moved off, the younger one stopped and turned to me, asking if she knew me. I looked at her again, and sure enough, it was the Fire Marshal from SLC; she and I serve on a State Board together! Small World! DD told her I was her mom, and she introduced us to her mother. Who'd a thought we'd meet in the middle of the Caribbean, not even knowing the other was on the cruise!

Orange and cranberry juice; I finally opened our complimentary sparkling wine on the last sea day, but we never emptied the bottle. I hope the room steward was allowed to enjoy the rest!

IMG_9839_zps97b5b7e5.jpg

Enjoying my Mimosa in that wonderful slipper chair I enjoyed so much.

IMG_9840_zps65d2afd3.jpg

And another shot of that wonderful Lavazza Coffee Machine that we used so much! Notice we are down to one container of the "yellow stuff" by now ;)

IMG_9844_zps4498b1a6.jpg

And enjoying the wake once again:

IMG_0705_zps14849692.jpg

Edited by planma'am

And a beautiful sunset ended our day.

IMG_9821_zps3bd85988.jpg

IMG_9813_zps60fc4512.jpg

This is where the sun was setting in the west and the moon was rising in the east:

IMG_9847_zps4cf5bc50.jpg

IMG_9846_zpsd050dba3.jpg

IMG_9853_zps1e32486e.jpg

I like this one of DH taking the first picture, because you can also see his reflection in the glass.

IMG_9855_zpsefddf1fa.jpg

It was off to our last cocktail party in the Star Bar, and Cat, the Group Services Coordinator stopped in to tell us good bye. She had lost her voice to laryngitis by now; just too much talking this cruise, I guess!

Screenma'am and Cat

IMG_9858_zps1aa9f56a.jpg

And with me:

IMG_9859_zpsd64f5c25.jpg

And me with our waiter, Vincent:

IMG_9879_zps88a96415.jpg

Medicalma'am and her DGD

IMG_9861_zps33cec927.jpg

And me with my DGD

IMG_9864_zpsd3c63cd4.jpg