Carnival Glory Review-Eastern Caribbean Jan 27-Feb 3

Ciardasully

We got a good rate at the Ritz Carlton in Coral Gables. It was still a little more than most of the other hotels but we thought that since it was our honeymoon, we may as well live it up. Here is a pic of our room. Quite a contrast from the night before!

HoneymoonCruise137.jpg

We then decided to get a late lunch in Little Havana and then we took a spin down South Beach. And we got to see a Carnival ship leaving!

HoneymoonCruise146.jpg

Just curious if this looks familiar to anyone...

HoneymoonCruise161.jpg

We had dinner at a El Carajo International Tapas and Wine. It's crazy because it is a fancy restaurant in the back of a gas station. You wouldn't even know it was there. We were definitely the least dressed people there. The food was delicious. Unfortunately I did not get any photos.

And lastly, the geek in me got excited at seeing the Southern End of Interstate 95.

HoneymoonCruise167.jpg

Up next: Boarding!

You guys look great it's amazing how you see where 95 ends I'm from pa and know that's the primary way to get south. Look forward to the rest of your review

We made it through the hordes of people trying to get us to take their tour or ride their taxi, etc. It's easy to be turned off but we all have to make a living.

Bryon and I are not big beach people. We do like to swim but we would rather look at historic sites and government buildings. We are nerds like that. I was a history major in college. What can I say?

Bryon had found a walking tour on Frommers.com. So off we went. Almost immediately was Houses of Parliament.

HoneymoonCruise279.jpg

HoneymoonCruise280.jpg

Court. It's a culture shock to see how different their government buildings are to the United States. Hardly any security. We had gone in and asked if court was in session and the gentleman working said 10 am but we never made our way back. I know...who likes to watch court while on vacation? The attorney and the history geek do.

HoneymoonCruise282.jpg

National museum.

HoneymoonCruise283.jpg

A Nassau street

HoneymoonCruise290.jpg

You guys look great it's amazing how you see where 95 ends I'm from pa and know that's the primary way to get south. Look forward to the rest of your review

Thank you! I am glad I am not the only one who likes things like that. Being from Maine, I usually see the Northern end of things. :)

You have done a great job!! It was nice to meet both of you on the Glory!!

Congrats on the wedding and enjoyable cruise!

We all know the Glory rocked this week!

You got that right! I am scared that we will be disappointed if we go on another ship. My first cruise has set the bar very high.

And it was great to meet you too!

We eventually made it to the Queen's Staircase. Not an easy climb. When we got to the top, there was a gentleman who worked for Fort Fincastle and told us all about the history. He also joked that if you slip on the staircase, keep rolling down the hill because there was a hospital at the bottom of the hill. The hospital was named for Queen Margaret because she helped The Bahamas set up their Socialized Healthcare. (Just stating it for factual info, not to start a debate lol) He told us that the copay for citizens was $10 and $30 for tourists. Not too shabby if you do need medical attention while in The Bahamas.

HoneymoonCruise296.jpg

Here are some pictures of Fort Fincastle and the views from the Fort.

HoneymoonCruise300.jpg

HoneymoonCruise303.jpg

HoneymoonCruise305.jpg

HoneymoonCruise308.jpg

Here are a few more snapshots.

HoneymoonCruise312.jpg

Governor General's House. This is where the Queen's representative lives. Bryon was able to tell by the flags that the Governor General was present.

HoneymoonCruise315.jpg

Bryon had hurt his knee in Key West and I had sprained my ankle a week prior to leaving to we took a break and sat in the Anglican Church.

HoneymoonCruise317.jpg

Finally we decided to head down the road to have lunch at a cricket club. We were walking along a beach and there was a tiki bar so Bryon wanted to stop. He said it was too cool not to stop.

HoneymoonCruise318.jpg

HoneymoonCruise319.jpg

We sat down the bartender's boss came out and said that they can not serve alcohol that day because the country was having a voter referendum and it is illegal to sell alcohol before 6 pm. The vote was whether to allow legalized gambling because only tourists can gamble in The Bahamas.

So Bryon and I decided to continue walking to the cricket club. On the way, we saw this.

HoneymoonCruise321.jpg

We had lunch at the cricket club-bangers and mash.

HoneymoonCruise322.jpg

We decided to take a taxi back to the port but the girl working there said a bus would be much cheaper ($10 for taxi, $3 for bus) so we took the bus to the Straw Market. Bryon and I walked around the Straw Market but did not buy anything. We made our way back to ship long around noon (we weren't scheduled to leave until 2) and they had a special at the spa so Bryon told me to go for it. So I had a nice massage and mini facial for less than 50% the normal price.

I made it back in time to watch the stragglers...but there were none, at least that I could see. I guess if you can't drink in port, people are better at getting back to ship.

HoneymoonCruise328.jpg

Bye-Bye Nassau.

HoneymoonCruise329.jpg

Overall, Nassau was my least favorite port but it wasn't that bad either. Except for getting off the ship and the Straw Market, people were very nice to us. But I didn't think there was anything worth buying either.

Oh and one weird observation. In The Bahamas, they drive on the left side of the road yet some cars were right side drive and others were left side drive. I just found that interesting.

Up Next: Elegant Night Craziness

Nice review. Glad to see a Glory review. I sailed her in August and I'm sure her 2.0 updates are amazing. Can't wait to sail her again.

Did you go to Canada? We are contemplating doing that this summer. We want to do that inventory anyway but we loved the ship and the crew so we may do that.

Also, when I was reading the reviews, I thought the same thing - Not enough Glory reviews. So I thought I would add one :)

Monday night was elegant night. The sad thing is...Bryon and I did not get a photo together. Bryon wore the same thing he wore at our wedding. I did not wear the same thing from our wedding.

EQ4C2100-477.jpg

Anyway, we at least got this magnificent photo of Bryon with the Captain.

HoneymoonCruise333.jpg

While we were walking between the Captains reception and the Alchemy Bar, we bumped into our Cruise Director, Josh "Big Sexy" who asked to film an small interview with us. So we did a little interview that played on one of the cabin channels so all through the cruise, people came up to us to congratulate us on our wedding.

Elegant Night Dinner!

Bryon and I both had the Spaghetti Carbonara as a starter.

HoneymoonCruise334.jpg

Bryon also got the alligator fritters.

HoneymoonCruise335.jpg

Bryon and I both had Prime Rib. I generally order stuff medium rare but this was a little too rare for me.

HoneymoonCruise336.jpg

For dessert, I had the warm chocolate melting cake and Bryon had the carmelized apples in puff pastry but I forgot to get a photo.

Chocolate martini!

HoneymoonCruise337.jpg

Then Greg out waiter came and had our section sing Happy Honeymoon to us. He brought an apple cake. Sorry for the bite taken out. I almost forgot to get the photo.

HoneymoonCruise338.jpg

Bryon and I wound up back at the Alchemy Bar.

Bryon was bummed that is drink didn't require fire so Ioana, the mixtologist, decided to add some fire to Bryon's Old Fashioned.

HoneymoonCruise339.jpg

HoneymoonCruise340.jpg

I ordered a Deal Closer which is delicious and Ioana added cinnamon because that can be lit on fire.

HoneymoonCruise341.jpg

HoneymoonCruise342.jpg

I went to the restroom and bumped into another gentleman wearing a kilt.

HoneymoonCruise343.jpg

Bryon and I went to the comedy club but we didn't stay because someone needed to go back to the room.

HoneymoonCruise344.jpg

Sea Day: The seas were very choppy. Bryon was feeling seasick (though I didn't believe him at first) but we attempted Brunch.

Bryon ordered Eggs Benedict and I ordered the chocolate chip pancakes.

HoneymoonCruise345.jpg

Bryon and I went back to the room and slept. We woke up and went to the Cruise Critic Private Party. Unfortunately I only took one photo and this was it.

HoneymoonCruise346.jpg

Then we went to Pirate Pizza and had a snack.

HoneymoonCruise347.jpg

I went back and sat on the balcony.

HoneymoonCruise348.jpg

HoneymoonCruise349.jpg

Coming Up Next: Dinner!

Did you go to Canada? We are contemplating doing that this summer. We want to do that inventory anyway but we loved the ship and the crew so we may do that.

Also, when I was reading the reviews, I thought the same thing - Not enough Glory reviews. So I thought I would add one :)

Yes we did. We went to Saint John(4 day), out of our home port , NYC. It was blast! We were thinking of possibly doing the 5 day Canada cruise this summer. And yes their are not enough! How was the arcade? When we went back in August some games were broken , but it was still fun. Glad you guys had a nice honeymoon. Have a wonderful life together.

Bryon and I each got a chicken quesadilla which had a lot of beans in it.

HoneymoonCruise352.jpg

Bryon also got the prosciutto which I did not get a photo and I had the French Onion soup.

HoneymoonCruise353.jpg

Bryon had steak.

HoneymoonCruise354.jpg

I had the braised short ribs and they were delicious!

HoneymoonCruise355.jpg

I had my usual for desert and Bryon had the fig and date cake.

HoneymoonCruise359.jpg

And our entertainment. Our waiter Greg is on the far left.

HoneymoonCruise357.jpg

And with this I must go to bed. I can't post while at work but I will add more tomorrow evening.

Edited by Ciardasully

Yes we did. We went to Saint John(4 day), out of our home port , NYC. It was blast! We were thinking of possibly doing the 5 day Canada cruise this summer. And yes their are not enough! How was the arcade? When we went back in August some games were broken , but it was still fun. Glad you guys had a nice honeymoon. Have a wonderful life together.

After traveling home (we flew into Newark and still had to drive to Albany) I said our next cruise I want to go out of NYC or Boston. The day was too long!

I am originally from Maine so I have been to Saint John but not Halifax so Bryon and I really want to go on a 5 day one.

Bryon and I went to the arcade on the first night. I only played ski ball. Bryon played with several games and he said none were broken. But that was the first night...I can't speak for later in the week.

Edited by Ciardasully