Ipad and Cell Phones?

Fluffy62

Ok, so I'm not very familiar with how the ipad and cell phones work on the ships. I've been on several cruises but never really had to communicate with anyone back home. My 19 year old will be holding down the fort back at home and I am bringing my ipad and cell phone of course. I have Verizon. So can I email him from the ipad from my room? When can I call him? Do I have to wait to get to a port? I have unlimited texting and calling on my plan. Sorry for all the questions but I just want to make sure I can keep in touch!

You'll need to get an Internet package to use the WiFi on the iPad. Put the iPad in Airplane mode before leaving the US, wait a few minutes and turn on the WiFi. The iPad will find the ship's WiFi and you'll be able to log in and check email.

With a cell phone, you really don't want to make calls on the ship as the cost is $2.49/minute to use the ship's cell tower. You can use your phone in port but it'll be international rates and roaming. Make sure you set up international calling before leaving home. I don't know about Verizon but AT&T has a plan for $5.95/month for "World Traveler" which gives you reduced rates.

I just use the ship's WiFi package. Incoming texts are $.05, sending a text is $.50.

You'll need to get an Internet package to use the WiFi on the iPad. Put the iPad in Airplane mode before leaving the US, wait a few minutes and turn on the WiFi. The iPad will find the ship's WiFi and you'll be able to log in and check email.

With a cell phone, you really don't want to make calls on the ship as the cost is $2.49/minute to use the ship's cell tower. You can use your phone in port but it'll be international rates and roaming. Make sure you set up international calling before leaving home. I don't know about Verizon but AT&T has a plan for $5.95/month for "World Traveler" which gives you reduced rates.

I just use the ship's WiFi package. Incoming texts are $.05, sending a text is $.50.

I was lucky my family memebrs had iPhones so i could text them on the iPhone using Wifi as iMessages dont cost anything. But did send a few texts while in New Zealand and only cost me $5.00 all up. Like said above make sure you set your phone up for International and turn your data off otherwise you will be charged a large amount everytime it connects

Archived