Belize City

BEEFIT

We are stopping in Belize City via Carnival. We want to go where the locals go. Beaches/Resorts for a day? Restaurants? Not interested in ship run excursions.

That is one port you need to take a ship sponsored excursion if you plan on going outside the 12 foot high fence that keeps the locals out of the area where the ship docks. It is not a port to venture out on your own.

That is one port you need to take a ship sponsored excursion if you plan on going outside the 12 foot high fence that keeps the locals out of the area where the ship docks. It is not a port to venture out on your own.

Really? What is this based on? Have you even been outside the fence?

I've been in Belize a couple of times and never had a problem. One time we took a water taxi to Cay Caulker found a restaurant/bar there and had a great time, heck we even had a parrot named Pete at the table! Probably one of my best cruise memories yet.

Oh and this thread is in the wrong forum, look for it to be moved.

Really? What is this based on? Have you even been outside the fence?

I've been in Belize a couple of times and never had a problem. One time we took a water taxi to Cay Caulker found a restaurant/bar there and had a great time, heck we even had a parrot named Pete at the table! Probably one of my best cruise memories yet.

Oh and this thread is in the wrong forum, look for it to be moved.

So you found downtown Belize to be so great you went to CayCaulker?

We were warned before we got off the ship not to venture beyond the fence due to the drug problems and the unrest that was going on at the time. Had a passenger from the ship who was a police officer from New York who thought that warning wasn't needed. He took his family outside and lasted about 10 minutes before they were surrounded and offered drugs. He brought his family back and told us that he was wrong to have put his family in that situation.

I'm glad your experience was different, but if we ever go there again we will stay on the ship.

I'm in the minority around here, but I love Belize. I could see having a vacation home there if I'm able to own something like that one of these years.

Belize City itself isn't terribly nice. Like a lot of port cities around the world, it's run down. I've been in worse (Colon, Panama comes to mind.) The city isn't really what you want to see, though. It's typical, fairly impoverished, Central America. It's not going to be like those ports you visit where everything is pristine and full of chain stores.

This isn't the best beach type port although the snorkeling offshore can be spectacular. This is one port to take some type of tour. Belize is known for it's reef system and for it's eco and adventure travel options. Look into cave tubing (loads of fun) or touring some of the Maya ruins sites. We just did Xunantunich last week and it was one of those tours I'll remember for a lifetime.

Oh, and for local flavor, make sure you try a Belikin if you like beer.

Archived