Info about cruising from South Africa

Danix91

Hi, I am going to be cruising to Mozambique this December from Durban (don't know dates yet as they haven't been released). Was just wondering if anyone did that trip recently/are still going on it in Feb/March?

If so, did you convert your money to USD before leaving here (for cruise card) or did you just pay in ZAR (gunna have to do cash as don't have a CC)? Did it cost A Lot - realize it's different for everyone just trying to get a South African's perspective)

And lastly (for now :p) at the ports (Maputo and Inhambane) did you do cruise excursions or just did your own thing?

Thanks in advance :D

Hi, I am going to be cruising to Mozambique this December from Durban (don't know dates yet as they haven't been released). Was just wondering if anyone did that trip recently/are still going on it in Feb/March?

If so, did you convert your money to USD before leaving here (for cruise card) or did you just pay in ZAR (gunna have to do cash as don't have a CC)? Did it cost A Lot - realize it's different for everyone just trying to get a South African's perspective)

And lastly (for now :p) at the ports (Maputo and Inhambane) did you do cruise excursions or just did your own thing?

Thanks in advance :D

I have always used my credit card, but from what I have heard if you pay in with ZAR they will convert to USD at the days rate plus 3%, which is better than a forex counter and is the same deal a credit card will give.

As for Maputo, police are corrupt, locals are in your face etc - I would suggest a tour.

I have never been to Inhambane so I can't really help you there.

I did this cruise in 2011.

In Maputo we did the "train" tour around the city, but you can also rent a tuc-tuc type scooter (with driver). I think the tuc-tuc has space for 2 people. The train tour is best to just pay for as you get off the ship in the port as it will be standing right there. It is private i.e. not booked through the ship and is safe in our view. Google "maputo train tour around city" and you will find there are a few sites that have info about the tour. It takes about 3 hours and stops at the Station, the Market, and then next to one of the museums near the old hotel district. We enjoyed the drive as it allowed us to see the city, the old beach area, and then back to the ship. It really was fun and a reasonable price. While they do say hop-on-hop-off, i.e. another one coming later, that would depend on whether there are enough people in the circuit to justify another train coming past later. And with being on a ship I would not risk missing the ship just for spending an hour or two visiting a museum or other spot. They give you about 20 minutes at the Station and at the Market which is enough time to get your cashews, cold-drink etc. Just talk to the driver/guide about any stops that you wish to make. Attached are some photos.

For Bara Lodge/Inhambane, you are anchored out on the ocean and they use rubber-ducks to take people in. If the sea is rough then they will stop taking people through to the beach, or cancel the stop completely. That is just one of those safety things that can't be controlled. Bara Lodge is at the beach, and Inhambane is probably 20 kms up the river so that is a ship-tour on a PUTCO-style bus. (Take a cushion!!!) While the tour was interesting as I wanted to see the architecture, some of the people were complaining that "it is sooo humid, we want to go back to the ship". :eek: Really, they came to Mozambique in Summer and want to complain about the heat!!!!

I also did the ship's snorkeling tour in the morning and it was OK, but then I have been spoiled by snorkeling in Hawaii ...

At Barra you will find a lot of vendors on the beach selling sarongs/paintings/crafts etc (there is also a market in Inhambane too), but it is critical to bargain for everything, and while they do want US$, they don't want US$1 bills for some reason :rolleyes:. Who knows why????!!! Well for my last purchase I negotiated the price, and when the person saw some $1 bills he was like "No $1." Well I clearly did not have any more big notes, and was not going to pay more and get no change back even if I had bigger bills, so he had to take the $1 bills. But overall a good purchase. One can also just spend the day at Barra and enjoy the beach / have lunch there.

P1160001.jpg.417acff2e8073c02834c8033586ffe56.jpg

P1160007.jpg.b617a8a668eef4610778880b6309f64f.jpg

P1160629.jpg.2eb5cd27391861f4e97c839fcbdb33fe.jpg

P1160618.jpg.d84db2ed94c76e265cc588ce8c6502de.jpg

In Maputo we did the "train" tour around the city, but you can also rent a tuc-tuc type scooter (with driver). I think the tuc-tuc has space for 2 people. The train tour is best to just pay for as you get off the ship in the port as it will be standing right there. It is private i.e. not booked through the ship and is safe in our view. Google "maputo train tour around city" and you will find there are a few sites that have info about the tour. It takes about 3 hours and stops at the Station, the Market, and then next to one of the museums near the old hotel district. We enjoyed the drive as it allowed us to see the city, the old beach area, and then back to the ship. It really was fun and a reasonable price. While they do say hop-on-hop-off, i.e. another one coming later, that would depend on whether there are enough people in the circuit to justify another train coming past later. And with being on a ship I would not risk missing the ship just for spending an hour or two visiting a museum or other spot. They give you about 20 minutes at the Station and at the Market which is enough time to get your cashews, cold-drink etc. Just talk to the driver/guide about any stops that you wish to make. Attached are some photos.

For Bara Lodge/Inhambane, you are anchored out on the ocean and they use rubber-ducks to take people in. If the sea is rough then they will stop taking people through to the beach, or cancel the stop completely. That is just one of those safety things that can't be controlled. Bara Lodge is at the beach, and Inhambane is probably 20 kms up the river so that is a ship-tour on a PUTCO-style bus. (Take a cushion!!!) While the tour was interesting as I wanted to see the architecture, some of the people were complaining that "it is sooo humid, we want to go back to the ship". :eek: Really, they came to Mozambique in Summer and want to complain about the heat!!!!

I also did the ship's snorkeling tour in the morning and it was OK, but then I have been spoiled by snorkeling in Hawaii ...

At Barra you will find a lot of vendors on the beach selling sarongs/paintings/crafts etc (there is also a market in Inhambane too), but it is critical to bargain for everything, and while they do want US$, they don't want US$1 bills for some reason :rolleyes:. Who knows why????!!! Well for my last purchase I negotiated the price, and when the person saw some $1 bills he was like "No $1." Well I clearly did not have any more big notes, and was not going to pay more and get no change back even if I had bigger bills, so he had to take the $1 bills. But overall a good purchase. One can also just spend the day at Barra and enjoy the beach / have lunch there.

Oh wow, thank you so much for all the info and advice! lol, sometimes I think some people aren't happy unless they have something to complain about :p. The train sounds interesting, will definitely look into it, thanks for the idea. :D Was just wondering re getting souvenirs which place was better Maputo (is there anything other than cashews? - for my Dad ;)) or Bara Lodge/Inhambane for miscellaneous goodies?

Also with the train, it chugs along at a very comfortable speed and I was able to take lots of photos while enjoying the view. This was a great way to see the architecture/city sights as a first time visitor along with a live commentary from the guide - without getting accosted every 100m by someone trying to sell something.

I am guessing that the trip is almost 10kms in distance through the city as one travels through the following areas: station, downtown, cathedral, old Portuguese colonial residential district, newer residential district, ocean-front/hotel district, river-front district, etc.

• 3 months later...

Wooow this is so helpful. Im looking forward for other things to note.

and while they do want US$, they don't want US$1 bills for some reason :rolleyes:. Who knows why????!!! Well for my last purchase I negotiated the price, and when the person saw some $1 bills he was like "No $1." Well I clearly did not have any more big notes, and was not going to pay more and get no change back even if I had bigger bills, so he had to take the $1 bills.

Hi, Starlight Durban Cruising,

Thx for the info! I will be on the Sinfonia, 07 - 17 Dec 2013 (Portuguese Island only in Mozambique); I did have a comment about the $1USD bills:

I was in The Gambia in 2008. I tried as I could to rid myself of those $1USD bills & was always met w the same retort: "No dollar!" I thought they didn't want ANY US bills as our currency had devalued so greatly. Now, I've been educated! They wanted BIG bills! Thx for the info, as I had contemplated the reason why...

I, too, have been spoiled by snorkeling off the Hawaiian islands...I'll be curious about the fauna of the Indian Ocean off east S Africa, Moz, & Mad. Even the Galapagos didn't measure-up to Hawaii!!

Archived