We need suggestions from our NO friends.

Bookbug53

We will be in NO on the 24th of January 2014. We sail on the 26th. We have only been to NO 1 time. We had a day there in 2000 on the Sensation. We just walked what was available as we really did not know what to do for an excursion. What we need is some real advice on some 'do not miss' or at least 'try to do this' type of things. We will not have any personal transportation and will be staying at the La Quinta Inn on Camp St. We are open to virtually any type of ideas. We love to learn the culture, try new foods, experience the unexpected (short of 'thrill' things) and want to make the most of our 2 nights there. Any suggestions appreciated.

On a side note...would you recommend trying the bus from the airport to downtown? We travel very light.

We will be in NO on the 24th of January 2014. We sail on the 26th.

On a side note...would you recommend trying the bus from the airport to downtown? We travel very light.

Hi Sandy,

Is it just adults or kids? Either way try this site, just plug in your dates:

www.neworleans.com

Also, take a cab it's only about $30-$35 or so. Much faster and more direct.

Hope this helps,

Jorge

Bookbug- it looks like we'll be on the same ship. This will be our second trip out of New Orleans. The last one was in January 2012. Since it was our first time to the city we wandered around the first day, completely on foot. The second day, we bought the pass for the Imax, the zoo, and the insect and butterfly gardens. We didn't plan nearly enough time for the zoo but enjoyed everything we saw. This time around, we are planning on renting a car and going to 1 or 2 plantations and going to Mardi Gras world. We plan on flying in sometime Thursday. I'm not sure what we'll fill the time gaps with-maybe go back to the zoo? We have lots of family and friends coming along who've never been to New Orleans before so we'll probably take in the sights again.

Check out oyster happy hour at Luc, in the Hilton downtown. For dinner, BBQ shrimp at deanie's later, chargrilled oysters at acme, sometime next morning, beignets at cafe du monde. Lunch before ship, hamburger at port of call. That would be the hit list for me. Most of the bigger named places, mostly owned by dicky Brennan are ok but a bit too commercialized for me. I preferr the unique.

Almost forgot, if you have time for another breakfast, the camillia grill or oceana are fantastical

Check out oyster happy hour at Luc, in the Hilton downtown. For dinner, BBQ shrimp at deanie's later, chargrilled oysters at acme, sometime next morning, beignets at cafe du monde. Lunch before ship, hamburger at port of call. That would be the hit list for me. Most of the bigger named places, mostly owned by dicky Brennan are ok but a bit too commercialized for me. I preferr the unique.

Almost forgot, if you have time for another breakfast, the camillia grill or oceana are fantastical

DEFINITELY do Deanie's, if you don't do anything else!

These all sound great! Making my food hit list. :D

Archived