Antigua - Walking Tour

bling19572010

• 2 weeks later...

Hi there! I can take a stab at your question, although not with regards to pushing a wheel chair. My husband and I did a self guided walk around St John's a few years ago, and I recall cobblestone pavers and an uphill walk on uneven pavement to the cathedral. Of course it is a lovely town and the church, history museum and shops are within a close radius to each other, but the hills and uneven pavement do stick in my mind.

Good luck!

Hi Dulciana,

We will be in St Johns early April. I'm curious - you mention a self guided walking tour. Was this something you purchased there or got online or do mean you simply walked around on your own?

Thanks, Andrew

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Hi there! I can take a stab at your question, although not with regards to pushing a wheel chair. My husband and I did a self guided walk around St John's a few years ago, and I recall cobblestone pavers and an uphill walk on uneven pavement to the cathedral. Of course it is a lovely town and the church, history museum and shops are within a close radius to each other, but the hills and uneven pavement do stick in my mind.

Good luck!

Thank your for the information!

Hi Dulciana,

We will be in St Johns early April. I'm curious - you mention a self guided walking tour. Was this something you purchased there or got online or do mean you simply walked around on your own?

Thanks, Andrew

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Hi Andrew,

I research everything to death, and I had decided that Antigua was an island that my husband and I could do on our own with ease, and it was! (And I was tired of beach days, and insisted to my husband that we needed some culture!) We hired a taxi for the day (mentioned to them that we wanted something of an island tour; it was like $40 for both of us, and we shared the taxi with another couple), and the taxi drove us to Nelson's dockyard and Shirley Heights for tours before dropping us back at the cathedral to then walk down hill on our own back towards the shopping. We walked through the cathedral on our own (left money for the self guided cathedral tour brochure) and then a sexton pointed us in the direction of the museum.

I had a ship's port map (not very good), and then picked up a brochure with a better map at the museum of history (I think it's called the Museum of Antigua and Barbuda). The museum was small but interesting with Indian artifcats and colonial items. We wanted to see the botanical gardens, but since it's really more of a park, we could see everything from the road! Not really worth a visit, but maybe it's been better cared for since we were there three years ago?

Enjoy! It's a lovely island, with lots of history and the beaches are gorgeous!

Anne

Hi Andrew,

I research everything to death, and I had decided that Antigua was an island that my husband and I could do on our own with ease, and it was! (And I was tired of beach days, and insisted to my husband that we needed some culture!) We hired a taxi for the day (mentioned to them that we wanted something of an island tour; it was like $40 for both of us, and we shared the taxi with another couple), and the taxi drove us to Nelson's dockyard and Shirley Heights for tours before dropping us back at the cathedral to then walk down hill on our own back towards the shopping. We walked through the cathedral on our own (left money for the self guided cathedral tour brochure) and then a sexton pointed us in the direction of the museum.

I had a ship's port map (not very good), and then picked up a brochure with a better map at the museum of history (I think it's called the Museum of Antigua and Barbuda). The museum was small but interesting with Indian artifcats and colonial items. We wanted to see the botanical gardens, but since it's really more of a park, we could see everything from the road! Not really worth a visit, but maybe it's been better cared for since we were there three years ago?

Enjoy! It's a lovely island, with lots of history and the beaches are gorgeous!

Anne

Hi Anne,

Do you have your walking tour documents and able to post it here?

Thank you.

Archived