What is a PVP's job?

kalley79

I got so annoyed with the one "assigned" to me, I just booked everything myself online. She would call every time I logged into the Carnival website (and I'm a lurker on their forum so it was VERY frequent). I would tell her over and over we werent ready to book yet and even gave her time frames of when we would be financially ready. I know they're supposed to try to sell stuff but it got down right annoying!

My PVP called me when he saw that I was on the website (because I was logged in - I try not to do that lol). He left a message since I was busy at work - and sure enough, it was because he saw that I was looking around. I sent him an email (because it was easier) and told him YES I was looking, but when I did decide to book, he would be the FIRST person I would call... And to send up some of the warm sunny FL weather to NY... which he replied and said Great! (about the booking) and then a few jokes about how it probably would just be easier for me to move to FL...

After that, not a peep from him until I called ready to book a month later. I didn't mind the phone call, I know he has a job to do, but once I reassured him I would call him when I was ready, he left me be :) My PVP is the best! I couldn't say enough good things about him.

He always has my best interests in mine, and my whole family uses him to book! Like I've said on other posts - I could do my own online booking, but I like having a friendly voice who gets excited with me when I book a cruise! Plus, having him for any questions is great! It's like having a friend in the biz haha :)

Hope this helps.

I think it is a matter of that persons attitude. The one I have used is always very friendly, and helped any way she could.But , to answer the question , their job is to be the same as your TA.

No, this is absolutely incorrect. A travel agent, as the name indicates, is your agent. She/he works for you. By contrast, a so-called "PVP" is an employee of Carnival and her only duty is to Carnival.

PVPs generally understand that it is in their employer's best interests to provide you good service to make you a happy, repeat customer. That's why you see so many replies from customers telling you that their PVP is great and you just have a bad one. However, the level of service a PVP provides to you and their willingness to do anything for you will always be directly commensurate with how much profit they are making for Carnival dealing with you, compared to how much they might be making dealing with another customer. Carnival doesn't want their PVPs wasting time with anyone if it is not in Carnival's long-term best interests.

It has been my experience that PVP's are only interested in helping you if you are making a new booking. I'm on my 3rd PVP now and still haven't found one that really cares about my business. It's a shame too. Look at my sig. I book a lot of cruises. At least my current one doesn't keep trying to sell me the trip insurance all the time like the last one did.

Not sure if you've tried using a travel agent who specializes in cruising.

When I use a human agent instead of online, I feel like I'm directly helping another person stay employed. (Which is also the reason I tend to wait in line at the grocery store instead of using the self-service kiosk.)

Of course there are several other reasons I like to use "live" people ... That's just one of many reasons.

I booked our cruise for March 10th on Jan 29th. I had not used a PVP before, but since the pricing structure has changed I decided to use one. She seemed very nice and helpful at the time of booking. Today I had a question about changing our booking from an inside room to a balcony and also wanted to link our booking with friends of ours so we would have dinner together. I got through to her with the extension she gave me. When I told her that I had a couple questions about our booking she totally blew me off and said she was on the other line with another customer and that I need to call customer service. Then she seemed annoyed when I asked for the customer service number. I thought the PVP was supposed to handle our arrangements even after booking, like a TA would. Am I wrong in this thought? At least after waiting on hold for 20 min, the person in customer service was helpful and I was able to link our bookings, but found out our sailing is sold out so no balcony for us.

I don't think she will be there for long. Her name don't start with a K******n does it?

I called the 800 number for Carnival to book my cruise. The gal was GREAT! Last week DH decided we should upgrade to a Vista Suite :D. I tried calling the extension of the first lady and it kept ringing busy....I'd have to hang up and keep calling back. Since we had looked on-line and there appeared to only be one VS left I called the 800 number and remained on-hold for about 1/2 hour or so...busy day for Carnival. Anyway, the person I talked to this time was not very friendly but put through the upgrade. Don't know if this person was just overworked or what.

My question is this: Who gets the commission for the upgrade...the first gal I talked to that made the original booking or the other person?

Also, does the cabin confirmation you get by email list the PVP name or extension?

Thanks!! :o

My sister has a great PVP that she always uses. He's been extremely helpful when planning large groups of us and he has booked rooms for us that didn't appear to be available on the carnival site. Definitely find yourself another PVP.

We are one of the lucky ones. My DD and her hubby gave us the name of the PVP who booked their first cruise. We called her and have used her for every cruise since. She knows what type rooms we like, which dining option we prefer, that we like to pre-pay gratuities, and so on. She has emailed pictures of rooms we have had questions about, and she fought for us to get back a booked room that someone in another department had taken from us. (I had been told it was not possible, and that I should be happy with the room I had been moved to:mad:) We have given her name to friends and family both, and they have also been happy with her. I wouldn't trade her for anyone else.

We also have a wonderful PVP. I am online every day - logged in - and he has never called me. He knows I will call him.

He has helped us link bookings, taken care of future cruise certificates and helped me with my Carnival Stock on board credit.

He always calls me back if he doesn't answer right away. He knows the type of toom I like and makes great suggestions if the one I wanted is unavailable. As others have said I wouldn't trade him for anyone.:)

Even though you can do it yourself online. I use the same pvp everytime he is very helpful and is always happy I called. I am in customer service and I try to always use a human instead of a website it costs very little for a company to keep a website up and running I want to keep real people like myself gainfully employed so our dollars fuel the economy :D

This is exactly the reason I use my PVP. Keeping each other employed certainly helps keep the economy going. Carnival can afford to pay some salaries and by booking online they don't. I figure some of my money should go to a real person rather than a corporate bank account.

Archived