Leaving ship after checking in

We'll be flying to FCO and taking the RCL bus to Civi. Once we've checked in, can we get off the ship and go to a few of the shops nearby? I understand that there is a free shuttle from the ship to the port entrance. I was thinking that would be a great way to get our two bottles of wine onboard without flying with them in our luggage.

I´ve not left the ship at Civitavecchia after boarding, but have done so at another port.

I´m pretty sure it can be done, however I´m not sure if it´s such a good idea at this embarkation port.

It can be quite a trip to the port entrance and while it´s true that shuttles run between ships and port entrance I´m not sure if they are serving ships on turn around day, or only when a ship makes a POC there.

I think I would likely make a stop on the way to the ship or try if there´s something at the airport.

I´ve not left the ship at Civitavecchia after boarding, but have done so at another port.

I´m pretty sure it can be done, however I´m not sure if it´s such a good idea at this embarkation port.

It can be quite a trip to the port entrance and while it´s true that shuttles run between ships and port entrance I´m not sure if they are serving ships on turn around day, or only when a ship makes a POC there.

I think I would likely make a stop on the way to the ship or try if there´s something at the airport.

I would second that. I doubt there are shuttles available for that purpose on embarkation day. I have embarked/disembarked several times from Civitavecchia and can say that it would not be a good idea to even attempt walking from the dock to the shops near the port entrance as it is quite a distance and a secure area. In any case, I am sure I have seen signage that walking is forbidden for this reason.

As an afterthought, and having arrived/departed at Fiumicino airport more than once, I suggest (if you are quick enough) you re-enter the airport after coming through Arrivals and buy a couple of bottles of wine there.

Should be no ship problem, but possibly a bit port problem.

A few years back, we waited forever for our shuttle to Rome. When they guy showed up, he said that he was held up at the port entrance. As we passed through that entrance we saw the long, long line.

If you left port and then your taxi got stuck in the line, could be scary.

Thanks everyone. I think we'll try to get some bottles at the airport, if we can.

Probably the best way to do it.

On another thought and probably splitting hairs here, but as you are only allowed two bottles per cabin upon embarkation they might not even allow you to bring the wine on if you get off again to get them, as you could have brought on your allowance already boarding.;)

Probably the best way to do it.

On another thought and probably splitting hairs here, but as you are only allowed two bottles per cabin upon embarkation they might not even allow you to bring the wine on if you get off again to get them, as you could have brought on your allowance already boarding.;)

Excellent point! I never thought of that, but you are exactly right.

How do they know if you met your allowance?

Well I believe it is two bottles allowed at check in. Hence as Paulxyz2004 pointed out, you would already have checked in. This is probably a loophole they thought of and security would probably confiscate the wine, if they didn't tell you to get rid of it all together.

Archived